What Are You Listening To?

Mighty AC

• 3 weeks later...

I am so glad the Festive Music season is over.

I like the classic Christmas carols. And I even like some of the modern Christmas songs. But a lot of the newer Christmas music is total dog crap.

Rock radio sucks during the Christmas season. Those comedy Christmas tracks, like "I am Santa Claus", to the tune of Iron Man by Black Sabbath... it's hilarious, for about 30 seconds, but it gets old really quick. A punk version of Jingle Bells. More rock song parodies. The punk song about beating and robbing Santa Claus... yes, I get that the song is intended to criticize Christmas extravagance in a time when many people can't even afford food, but it's not exactly cheery.

Then you go shopping and you really get slammed with crappy music. Paul McCartney's Christmas song. Two different versions of "Last Christmas I gave you my heart". Pop-music lightweights doing their versions of Blue Christmas and Jingle Bell Rock. The original version of Jingle Bell Rock, which is even worse. That annoying kid who wants his front teeth, and listening him try to "with you a merry Crithmath". Other annoying kids singing about mommy kissing Santa Claus. Kids singing is usually annoying.

But the worst, the absolute worst, is some diva version of "Do You Hear What I Hear" that I keep hearing. I don't know who she is, but it's awful. It's horrible. Somewhere along the line some people started thinking that singing the wrong notes really loudly is an amazing demonstration of vocal talent, and unfortunately the idea seems to have caught on. It's awful. I would rather listen to screaming toddlers than to diva music.

I like Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters at Christmas. There have also been some very nice more recent Christmas songs. But I hope that Idina Menzel and her friends would just stop. Please stop. Please think of the children.

-k

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I heard "Weight Of Love" by The Black Keys on my radio last week and was pretty blown away. The official video is Rated N (for nipples) so instead here's an awesome safe-for-work live performance. This guy really knows how to handle a whammy-bar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3cfKDV5YYo

Also on my radio lately is a song called "Figure It Out" by Royal Blood. The official video is Rated MB (for mayhem and blood) so instead here's an awesome safe-for-work live performance. These guys will be opening for the Foo Fighters on their upcoming tour.

-k

Recently found out about these guys.. Orange Goblin. Nice good grovey stoner rock.

Probably inspired other bands like Red Fang (also very good).

A couple members were from Kyuss.

I missed this earlier. I kind of like the "stoner rock" thing. I got into Kyuss by accident when one of their songs was used in a video game.

This is my favorite Kyuss song. I really like the down-tempo portion starting at 3:00 and the lush guitar outro starting at 4:00.

-k

Kimmy, then I would like to make a couple other stoner rock suggestions.. Russian Circles, specifically the album Geneva. Minimal in lyricall content. Just some damn fine grooves. Quite anthemic in nature. Love these big soundscapes.

Emporos is not bad either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca5TncjCjtw

Edited by GostHacked

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an oustanding example of good music. These guys are awesome and just nail it. It helps that the composition is from one of the greatest , if not the greatest, bands of all time. It should be said that their teacher is awesome as well. Although they probably don't fit someones definition of a 21st century educator. Give this a listen guys.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alivelez/watch-a-bunch-of-kids-perform-an-amazing-led-zeppelin-cover?bffb#.br8jx948j

I listen to heavy metal, rock some country.

I have varied tastes in music. It just has to be good. That's why I don't like a great deal of the new stuff. I prefer actual musicians over computer generated auto tuned schlock. Couldn't stand that mindless "Happy" drivel, just about as boring and simple as you can get.

I have varied tastes in music. It just has to be good. That's why I don't like a great deal of the new stuff. I prefer actual musicians over computer generated auto tuned schlock. Couldn't stand that mindless "Happy" drivel, just about as boring and simple as you can get.

I grew up in the 70s and 80s so my music id kostly from that time period.

Me too. In the sixties when I was a little boy I cut my teeth on ELP, Beatles, King Crimson etc. Used to go to a lot of concerts in the seventies. My friends and I saw Queen, Yes, Jethro Tull, the Stones etc. Back when bands actually knew how to play great music without digital trickery.

I stumbled across some favourites from my high school days.

I remember going to festival in NY State where Spacehog had to lend their gear to I Mother Earth so they could do their set. We had to lie about our age to rent a room for the night but could only afford what is worst hotel I've ever been in. I found stuffed animals with their heads cut off under the bed and an old severely stained mattress in the closet. On our way home a friend thought bringing their leftover weed back across the border was be a good idea. Good times.

• 1 month later...

Recently found out about these guys.. Orange Goblin. Nice good grovey stoner rock.

Probably inspired other bands like Red Fang (also very good).

A couple members were from Kyuss.

Looked them up, they formed in 1995 so that album is from 1998 not 1988. Not bad, not fantastic. Red Fang are very good. Kyuss is pretty cool. What members in the band are from Kyuss I can't figure it out.