What Are You Listening To?

Mighty AC

This weekend I picked up Rush, A Farewell To Kings and 2112 on vinyl, I'm very pleased as these are two that are very hard to find. On CD I got Eric Clapton, Slowhand, a compilation disc of The Allman Brother Band and Lynyrd Skynyrd and Peter Gabrial, Us. All good music and lots of listening pleasure to be had. The new Johnny Cash is also surprisingly good, I really didn't expect that.

I take it you're asking about the new Johnny Cash, Cyber. In all I would say yes. Of course it has that typical Johnny Cash sound, All the songs are good with a few that stand out above the others. There is even one of his humorous type songs on it, you know the kind, A Boy Named Sue type of song that also happens to be quite catchy.

The true test is my wife though. Personally I'm not a country fan, she on the other hand is a huge country fan. When I say country I don't mean the new watered down rock variant country they play now. I mean classic country, Wilf Carter, Johnny Horton, Hank Williams etc. She likes the new CD so I would say that yes, it is quite good.

Waldo, you have my sympathy, an "ear worm" can be infuriating. Especially when its one as god awful as that commercial piece of tripe. That would drive me nuts too. Just listen to some music that isn't computer generated auto tuned commercial dross. The kind with real singers and musicians should do the trick.

Waldo, you have my sympathy, an "ear worm" can be infuriating. Especially when its one as god awful as that commercial piece of tripe. That would drive me nuts too. Just listen to some music that isn't computer generated auto tuned commercial dross. The kind with real singers and musicians should do the trick.

When it comes down to it, it's psychological. I get stupid songs in my head all day. Mainly because of the complete unchanging repetitiveness of commercialized music. Very formulated. I equate that to the constant barrage of the same commercials you hear on the radio or tv. It is the repetitiveness of it that drives that certain sound 'ear worm' in your head.

Much has to do with record companies still trying to capitalize on big name tickets. But that only works once a your starts. The money is not really made on album sales anymore. Since the ability to simply buy one or two tracks off the album. Most are not worth the full price. Along with the labels, you have producers calling much of the shots in the studio. There is a reason why Bryan Adams, Shina Twain and Def Leppard have very similar sounds.

The music I do is all computer generated. I got tired of listening to others ...so I started creating music I wanted to listen too. :D It's not fancy, but it is all mine.

https://soundcloud.com/openheartmachine-ohm/strut

That song is far to happy for my tired and miserable state. This evening, I'm going with the Daily Planet special "The Science of a Rock Concert" featuring the Tea Party. Great rock n' roll, a symphony, science and trivia tidbits plus a couple of Mill St. Lemon Tea Ales is filling the void nicely.

Here's a clip. Soulbreaking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQwkAyKtytc

Here's a link to the entire special if you're interested.

This special reminded me of Popup Video. Did anyone else love that Much segment back in the day?

Edited by Mighty AC

Really like Jack White's solo stuff. First album was terrific. This single sounds solid.... Nice.

On Record Store Day Jack set a new world record for fastest studio to store recording. The process from live show to sale of the physical records took less than 4 hours. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPGK84Yuihc#t=61

it's not the computer that is the issue, it is the composer writer. The wide use of auto-tune pisses me off, even as a EDM fan for over two decades now. I cannot stand it. It is commercialized and used in a few specific types of music. For the most part it is killing commercial music, like it is killing hip hop.

Even a good deal of the EDM music I listen to has real singers. The only times I can accept dome digitization (autotune)of the voice is by Daft Punk. Just because it is done right and not a main point of any of their tracks.

And not everyone with a guitar can sing. The guy on my balcony proves that. He could actually benefit from auto tune.

In the end I f'n hate auto-tune.

• 2 weeks later...

My radio has been invaded by South Africans.

The Kongos brothers are from South Africa, but now live in Phoenix Arizona. They're apparently determined to make the accordion happen as a rock music instrument. "Come With Me Now" is a big hit. I once heard Gentleman defined as a man who can play the accordion, but doesn't. The Kongos brothers are clearly not gentlemen.

Meanwhile, it was probably inevitable that Taylor Momsen would also end up on my radio. She's a model and actress and supposedly a singer as well. She fronts a band called "Pretty Reckless". She's pretty, alright. Not sure about reckless, but definitely pretty. There's been a lot of hype about her for reasons that have nothing to do with her musical talent. She's known for being on some TV show, she's known for modelling Madonna's clothing line, and she's known for getting semi-naked on stage. Now she's also known for the god-awful song "Heaven Knows". As much as the song is a gigantic block of cheesy Velveeta, I thought her vocals are actually ... pretty good.

This is another "Pretty Reckless" song that does not suck nearly as much as "Heaven Knows", and after listening to this I have to grudgingly admit that I think Miss Momsen might have some potential in this singing business after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5VyNsINlcY

-k

What could be cooler than the rock acordian? Bagpipes? Maybe the electric uke? Anyway, I dig their ungentlemanly chops. I started on a Kongos tour of YouTube tonight and then eventually started to wander. I ended up finding this solid duet of Axl and Shannon Hoon singing Don't Cry

Anyone else think the young Axl, sans bandanna, looked a lot like Donna from "That 70's Show"?

axl-rose_photo.jpg

I watched Walk Of The Earth play a week and a half ago in Toronto and I still have this tune in my head. They put on one of the most creative and entertaining live shows I've ever seen. Don't pass up a chance to see them play.

Edit: I had to add this excellent cover and cool video by Gianni and Sarah of WOTE.

Edited by Mighty AC