What Are You Listening To?

Mighty AC

I've heard this song many times but had never heard the band name Diodes. Learn something new every day!

Yes, they were on their way to big times, but group squabbles, health and finance issues got in the way. I was involved with the group to a certain extent, and I'm glad to see their reunion concerts. Very cool. They could have been a great punk canadian band!

This song was an international #1 hit last year, but I just heard it today for the first time:

This genre of music is not usually my thing, but I quite liked this. It's minimalist, with the pleasing vocals being the whole show.

MEANWHILE! The Kongos brothers invade my radio from the other end of the musical spectrum!

This song makes me want to knock stuff over; it's propulsive and manic and sounds unlike anything else on the radio.

Kongos is great...and you're right it makes me want to break stuff.

Lorde seems to be the real deal, despite the pop label. She's well liked and respected for such a young artist as well. Dave Grohl loves her stuff and she's been covered by Bruce Springsteen, Jack White, Eddie Vedder and so many more. The Walk Off The Earth, pass the Uke cover of that song is outstanding, but I think I've already posted here. Anyway, here's the Boss with his version:

Kongos is great...and you're right it makes me want to break stuff.

Lorde seems to be the real deal, despite the pop label. She's well liked and respected for such a young artist as well. Dave Grohl loves her stuff and she's been covered by Bruce Springsteen, Jack White, Eddie Vedder and so many more. The Walk Off The Earth, pass the Uke cover of that song is outstanding, but I think I've already posted here. Anyway, here's the Boss with his version:

That's pretty awesome. That is the only BOSS I know of.

This song was an international #1 hit last year, but I just heard it today for the first time:

This genre of music is not usually my thing, but I quite liked this. It's minimalist, with the pleasing vocals being the whole show.

-k

Lorde is great and has amazing vocals and I really like her on the red carpet. She is way too cool. But let's see what she has up her sleeve. She certainly has potential.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a great folk group that just released their first album in Ottawa that I've been listening to called The Dirty Sheep. Their album is Sleep Under the Lights.

Here's a link to "Salt of the Earth" on SoundCloud https://soundcloud.com/the-dirty-sheep/03-salt-of-the-earth

And also "Sir Robert Borden's House" https://soundcloud.com/the-dirty-sheep/02-sir-robert-bordens-house

Good people. You can get their album on iTunes, Amazon, and CD Baby if you like them.

How the heck did you not here that song for a year?

That's the thing with pop music. They bombard you with it everywhere.

I have no idea why Royals and Lorde are so popular. They're pretty typical indie rock stuff. Why they caught on in the pop realm and blew up into worldwide sensations is a mystery, there's better stuff out there IMO. Same with Imagine Dragons. But at least there's some new rock out there that's actually popular in the mainstream i guess.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

• 1 month later...

Pink Floyd

The Endless River.

Meh good to hear diffirent stuff but not the greatest.

From what I understand it was to be a movie score, mostly written by their late keyboard player. Something failed and they put into an album. It sounds really good (production wise) and overall feels very much like PF. Not a bad album, very mellow and chill.

Lorde is great and has amazing vocals and I really like her on the red carpet. She is way too cool. But let's see what she has up her sleeve. She certainly has potential.

I do suggest this season of South Park. One of the overarching stories this season is that Randy is actually Lorde. Gotta be their best season yet.

I do suggest this season of South Park. One of the overarching stories this season is that Randy is actually Lorde. Gotta be their best season yet.

I saw her perform on some music award show. Can't recall which one, but for such a young gal, she has no problem stepping outside the boundaries and expressing her artform. She is very creative.