Conservatives Quietly OK Info Gained through Torture

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-allows-rcmp-border-agency-to-use-torture-tainted-information/article4497677/

The Conservative government has quietly given Canada’s national police force and the federal border agency the authority to use and share information that was likely extracted through torture.

So... we can't torture but, we can use information gained through torture.

I guess we'll have to hire private companies like Blackwater to do the beatings but, the information is good to go!

The Conservative version of Canada is awesome! :D Can we get the death penalty with confessions made under duress too?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it saves lives of my family, your family and others? I am AOk with that!!!!! Not an issue at all...

Maybe I vale my family too much... Maybe I'm aware of what terrorism can do... Color me crazy but this is just fine

:huh:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-allows-rcmp-border-agency-to-use-torture-tainted-information/article4497677/

I guess we'll have to hire private companies like Blackwater to do the beatings but, the information is good to go!

The Conservative version of Canada is awesome! :D Can we get the death penalty with confessions made under duress too?

Guest Derek L

So what? If Mexican police have information on a drug smuggling operation into Canada that they obtained by hooking some guy up to a metal box spring and car battery, or the Chinese police have information on a human smuggling ring obtained with the aide of bamboo cane, or the Saudis info on a terrorist garner from a beating with a rubber hose, and said groups share said info with Canadian authorities, what’s the big deal?

I don’t see this as any different then Canadian police obtaining info from informants from organized crime groups, or Crown Prosecutors pleading down or giving immunity to a felon for testimony against a bigger fish………..

So what? If Mexican police have information on a drug smuggling operation into Canada that they obtained by hooking some guy up to a metal box spring and car battery, or the Chinese police have information on a human smuggling ring obtained with the aide of bamboo cane, or the Saudis info on a terrorist garner from a beating with a rubber hose, and said groups share said info with Canadian authorities, what’s the big deal?

I don’t see this as any different then Canadian police obtaining info from informants from organized crime groups, or Crown Prosecutors pleading down or giving immunity to a felon for testimony against a bigger fish………..

I don't know if we should be emulating the principles and procedures of the Mexican, Chinese and Saudi police.

Edited by j44

Guest Derek L

I don't know if we should be emmulating the principles and procedures of the Mexican, Chinese and Saudi police.

How are we? We're not the ones using the thumbscrew......

I don't understand how the law is serving society when evidence is ruled inadmissable due to a mistake or an error on the part of the police.

If a policeman tortured a subject, then charge the policeman with torture. If he makes an improper search of a car, have him reprimanded for not doing his job correctly.

We don't seem to do that. Instead, we punish the cops by letting criminals off the hook!

What is that supposed to do? Make the cops involved feel guilty? Frankly, I couldn't care less!

Theoretically, if an improper search of a car finds a severed head then the head is inadmissable as evidence!

This is just nuts! Evidence is evidence and truth is truth. Punish the cops for infractions that they committed. Punish criminals for the crimes they committed.

Don't let criminals off the hook because some officer made a mistake!

I just don't understand the reasoning here.

From CBC News:

They say that in "exceptional circumstances" the RCMP or border agency "may need to share the most complete information in its possession," including information foreign agencies likely obtained through torture, "in order to mitigate a serious risk of loss of life, injury, or substantial damage or destruction of property before it materializes."

"In such rare circumstances, ignoring such information solely because of its source would represent an unacceptable risk to public safety."

The directives say that in most cases the Canadian organizations are responsible for establishing internal approval processes that are "proportionate to the risks" in sharing information with foreign agencies.

They also spell out procedures for information sharing when the risk of torture is "substantial" — meaning a "personal, present and foreseeable risk" based on something more than "mere theory or speculation."

I'm normally against torture. It's unethical and illegal. Why should our government be able to use info obtained through illegal means when our courts can't do the same? However, I would permit info obtained from torture to be used in the above mentioned "exceptional circumstances". If there is a major security threat ie: terrorism to Canada and info obtained by torture could possibly mitigate the threat then I would be okay in allowing use of that info in those very special cases.

However, there's always the chance of this kind of power being abused. More if a black eye for Toews!

Toews isn't doing any torture and there are limits to what is "torture" as we all learned through waterboarding... This is great news for our security (If needed). If the cn tower was attacked and hundreds were killed, the government would be lambasted for NOT taking advantage of this data.

The day would not be a "hey, your going to jail"..... It would be a "hey, we need to take you out of my the equation for a while till we see what is happening here"... Still, I'm very fine with that... It will save lives.

From CBC News:

I'm normally against torture. It's unethical and illegal. Why should our government be able to use info obtained through illegal means when our courts can't do the same? However, I would permit info obtained from torture to be used in the above mentioned "exceptional circumstances". If there is a major security threat ie: terrorism to Canada and info obtained by torture could possibly mitigate the threat then I would be okay in allowing use of that info in those very special cases.

However, there's always the chance of this kind of power being abused. More if a black eye for Toews!

If it saves lives of my family, your family and others? I am AOk with that!!!!! Not an issue at all...

Maybe I vale my family too much... Maybe I'm aware of what terrorism can do... Color me crazy but this is just fine

Playing to the authority line. This is nothing more than regurgitated garbage that the government loves to spew out. The key thing her is IF it works. And we know all too well that false confessions can be gained through torture as well. So you cannot guarantee that the information gained through torture is factual.

Edit, let me clarify ....I One can torture you into making you say anything, no matter how tough you are. Care to take up the challenge? Or can we use one of your children instead?

Edited by GostHacked

So, if Canadian authorities are given information by another country or government, are they suppose to ignore it?

We're supposed to disown it if its obtained illegally and then we're supposed to prosecute the torturers.

Otherwise, we deserve to have airplanes flown into our skyscrapers too.

I don't understand how the law is serving society when evidence is ruled inadmissable due to a mistake or an error on the part of the police.

If a policeman tortured a subject, then charge the policeman with torture. If he makes an improper search of a car, have him reprimanded for not doing his job correctly.

We don't seem to do that. Instead, we punish the cops by letting criminals off the hook!

What is that supposed to do? Make the cops involved feel guilty? Frankly, I couldn't care less!

Theoretically, if an improper search of a car finds a severed head then the head is inadmissable as evidence!

This is just nuts! Evidence is evidence and truth is truth. Punish the cops for infractions that they committed. Punish criminals for the crimes they committed.

Don't let criminals off the hook because some officer made a mistake!

I just don't understand the reasoning here.

Are you suggesting that illegally obtained evidence should be admissable in court?

So, if Canadian authorities are given information by another country or government, are they suppose to ignore it?

Not at all. If we suspect we have recieved information aquired by using torture, we should halt trade and diplomatic relations with that country and do whatever we can to make sure its leaders wind up in prison for a long time.

Osama bin Laden is applauding you... Are you serious?

" I hear natzing! I see natzing!". said Schultz..

I'm very happy that I care more about my own families security than you do yours....

When Not at all. If we suspect we have recieved information aquired by using torture, we should halt trade and diplomatic relations with that country and do whatever we can to make sure its leaders wind up in prison for a long time.

Edited by Fletch 27

That's a freekin huge load of freekin bunk I ever read here on MLW!!!

Man you got a freekin imagination buddy!No wonder you put me on ignore,you freekin hate it when someone calls you out on the stuff you write here!

WWWTT

There are several problems with it...but the most obvious, and which disturbs all sane people, is that innocent people can be tortured, too.

Not that Commissars give a good goddamn, of course......

Osama bin Laden is applauding you... Are you serious?

" I hear natzing! I see natzing!". said Schultz..

I'm very happy that I care more about my own families security than you do yours....

No hes applauding YOU... And if you think encouraging torture around the world helps youre families security then youre kidding yourself.

If all of you are so giddy about using this kind of information, then why wait for other countries? Why dont we just start torturing folks ourself? I mean.... you would all be making the same arguments.

Go ahead and ditch your values over something less likely to kill you then a lightening strike. :lol:

Are you suggesting that illegally obtained evidence should be admissable in court?

Yes, I am! With the caveat that there are stiff charges laid against anyone who obtains evidence in an illegal manner.

To me, BOTH acts are crimes against society, that is - you and me and everyone else. We are the victims.

To throw the evidence out may let a criminal off the hook. How does that serve society? As I said, by making the cops feel guilty? Big deal! Someone who has committed a crime against society is off the hook!

Who is the judge punishing? From my perspective, it is society who loses. Certainly, if it were a crime against a private citizen being considered, where is the justice for him or her? Suppose it were a crime of rape? How would the rape victim feel, watching her rapist walk out the door because some cop made an error in procedure with some evidence?

I am NOT advocating torture or obtaining evidence illegally! I am saying that if someone must be punished, let it not be the crime victim.

So are you saying that you agree with torturing? It seems so and that being the case, IF one of your relatives or close friends went to a country and was tortured because that government thought they were spies, you would have to agree it was ok????