Olympics 2012 in London

For the past week or so there is so much prime time coverage of the US Olympics trials and final names to compete in the 2012 games. Since I am a sports fanatic I am really cluded in the US trials and UK trials also. But, I feel quite like an American supporter

I have no idea when we will be introduced to our Canadian team. I meant, are we not proud to show off our athletes or am I missing when the promotions are on :(

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea when we will be introduced to our Canadian team. I meant, are we not proud to show off our athletes or am I missing when the promotions are on :(

Whoever they are, I wish that no taxpayer money was involved.

If you want to run around in circles quickly, do it on your own dime - or the money of a voluntary sponsor. There are for more deserving recipients of taxpayer money than tall, sleek, physically fit athletes born with chance genetics.

Hmm....

If you want to run around in circles coming up with social programmes you cannot afford, or always having to ensure there is a Quebec version of a nat'l programme , do it on your own dime - or the money of a voluntary sponsor. There are for more deserving recipients of taxpayer money

Sorry, had to fix it for you.

ETA

The point is there are benefits of a society that embraces and enjoys physical fitness , spin offs to our children and society as a whole.

Edited by guyser

Hmm....

Sorry, had to fix it for you.

ETA

The point is there are benefits of a society that embraces and enjoys physical fitness , spin offs to our children and society as a whole.

and the best spin-off of all a healthier society, lower healthcare costs...

not that I'm a great fan of the Olympics any more...

Since I do contribute to the tax system I can also have my say; that sports is an integral part of how we identify, and position ourselves in the world besides keeping fit and reducing burden on the health system. It is no different from landing a plane with Canadian Flag in a different country, or sending mail using stamps. So I support the allocation of funds to sports.

It's a time when all Canadians are truly bonded and proud to see their countrymen and women go for the gold.

I recall the last winter Olympics, the newspaper ran an article on how to cope with stress when not winning a medal - this was very early in the competition. You are talking about a lot of Canadians being stressed - I understand a few people don't get the sports "fever" and I am optimistic they eventually come around when they are much older and have leisure time to contemplate meaning. I know 'cause I see them at the pool everyday.

Edited by RB

• 3 weeks later...

Stuck in this hotel room, late at night, I flipped through the channels and saw part of this opening ceremony.

Is it not ironic that Greece is the first counrry to enter the arena?

I'm appalled at the narrow-minded, 19th century nationalism in this whole exercise. Even Danny Boyle's opening production is a missed chance to celebrate the internationalism of the English language and English law. Instead, it's a bizarre history of the UK. What does the NHS have to do with the Olympics?

----

I dream of a day when the State has nothing to do with sports and athletes enter the arena as individuals. Failing that, let them enter by their continent.

Since I do contribute to the tax system I can also have my say; that sports is an integral part of how we identify, and position ourselves in the world besides keeping fit and reducing burden on the health system. It is no different from landing a plane with Canadian Flag in a different country, or sending mail using stamps. So I support the allocation of funds to sports.
RB, simply because you pay taxes does not mean that the State should spend money on your pet desire. I pay taxes and I also like onions; does that mean the State should spend tax money on onion production?

As to your fitness/health argument, if you go to the gym and look hot, that benefits you personally. Why should fat/lazy people pay you money to make you look "hotter"?

And as to your "identify/position" argument, millions of Canadians going about their ordinary life - whether in Canada or abroad - will establish our reputation well enough. When the Canadian state strays far from a limited role, it is likely to hurt our reputation and give us a negative position.

By your logic, RB, I could justify having Canadian taxpayers finance this Maple Leaf Forum, send cheques to posters here, on the grounds that this forum "identifies and positions" Canada on the World Wide Web. Because of this forum, available to everyone around the world, we Canadians show ("identify/position") ourselves to be civilized.

Edited by August1991

When I investigated the earlier olympic records it turned out to be so that in the 1976 games Canada was the first ever and only since host-country which failed to win a single gold-medal.

That is unlikely ever to be repeated as in the future only the big countries can afford to host the olympic games.

When I investigated the earlier olympic records it turned out to be so that in the 1976 games Canada was the first ever and only since host-country which failed to win a single gold-medal.

That is unlikely ever to be repeated as in the future only the big countries can afford to host the olympic games.

LOL

An achievment not soon duplicated! Canadian pride swells at the thought!

For those who don't know, here's my Why I Hate The Olympics Rant.

I may be in a minority now but I know that if we remain civilized, in the future, more will agree with me.

First you don't like the national flag thing ... I'm no flag waver myself ... but why divide athletes by continent either ... just make them all citizens of the world ... or not ... There is a spot for athletes with no country too.

Second, I hate wasteful competition designed merely to determine a winner. And the Olympics are exactly that - they are designed to decide who gets the Gold medal. They do nothing else. After a sports match, there are many tired sports people The sole purpose of the exercise was to determine a winner. (Please don't claim that there is artistry to sports - there is none. Without the competition to win the Gold Medal, an Olympic sport would lose ts interest.) Wars are like the wasteful competition of the Olympics. In a war, two countries or two regions fight one another merely to decide who is the winner. At the end, everyone is in fact a loser.

Ya well at the end of the Olympics everyone is in fact a winner for having been there at all.

It's about excellence, striving to do your very best.

Ultimately it's about the individuals, about heroes and role models for youth.

Who will ever forget Jose Chouinard skating her heart out after her Mother died, or Katerina Dewitt crying for Sarajevo, or the Jamaican bobsled team ... ok those are all winter examples but let's see what heroes emerge from the Olympics this time because where heroes are from doesn't really matter ... maybe they're from nowhere like runner Guor Marial: "No country, no problem"

And the opening/closing spectacles are awesome!

Lighten up. It's just sports. Kid's games for adults. It's fun. :)

And stupid politicians are just comic relief ... like "Mitt the Twit" :lol:

Edited by jacee

What does the NHS have to do with the Olympics?

Good point. Especially since the NHS has become such a disaster. Although perhaps that's the connection with the games.

Anyways, I generally support some tax funding for our Olympic atheltes. But perhaps there should be a box to check off when one does their taxes indicating whether or not they want any of their taxes to go to supporting those types of programs.

But perhaps there should be a box to check off when one does their taxes indicating whether or not they want any of their taxes to go to supporting those types of programs.

Excellent idea! There should be boxes for everything! Roads, bridges, military, health care, Peter Mackay's lunch dates...

Or, alternately, we could be grown-ups and realize that "our tax dollars" aren't "our dollars" anymore, and we have elected people to spend them.

Edited by BubberMiley

I think it is rubbish to consider some swimmer or gymnast the best athlete of the olympic games if he/she wins seven gold medals as in those sports there are so many events which makes it possible to win that many golds. I don't mean to belittle winning seven golds, of course not, but such an athlete is not necessarily a better athlete than someone who only has an opportunity to win one gold medal like wrestlers, weight-lifters etc.

Excellent idea! There should be boxes for everything! Roads, bridges, military, health care, Peter Mackay's lunch dates...

Or, alternately, we could be grown-ups and realize that "our tax dollars" aren't "our dollars" anymore, and we have elected people to spend them.

Nope, just for things that the government isn't explicitly suppose to provide. So roads, bridges, military, health care all wouldn't apply. Perhaps you should just let the grown ups discuss these types of things. :)

I think it is rubbish to consider some swimmer or gymnast the best athlete of the olympic games if he/she wins seven gold medals as in those sports there are so many events which makes it possible to win that many golds. I don't mean to belittle winning seven golds, of course not, but such an athlete is not necessarily a better athlete than someone who only has an opportunity to win one gold medal like wrestlers, weight-lifters etc.

By any reasonable standard, Usian Bolt's performance in 2008 was more impressive than Phelps.

- 3 events entered

- 3 Gold Medals

- 3 World Records.

And if he wins the Gold in the 100m again he'll be the person first to repeat. (ignoring Carl Lewis who won a gold in a boycotted games and lost to Ben Johnson, was awarded the Gold Medal, then had the Gold Medal stripped)

Nope, just for things that the government isn't explicitly suppose to provide. So roads, bridges, military, health care all wouldn't apply. Perhaps you should just let the grown ups discuss these types of things. :)

I think in the grand scheme of things the taxpayer funds that go to help training athletes is peanuts.

Also the buzz created by the Olympics when Canada has a successful team creates a fair bit of private wealth.

Look at all the money Rogers and Bell are putting into broadcasting these games and all the advertisers that are getting behind them.

Also many of these athletes have private sponsorship too.

Edited by Boges

It's about excellence, striving to do your very best.
There are other ways to strive and do one's very best that don't involve wars, wasteful competition, rent-seeking.
Ultimately it's about the individuals, about heroes and role models for youth.
If it's about individuals, why all the flags? Why all the country reports about gold medals?

There may be a euro for all of Europe, and no checkpoint between France and Germany (unlike the border between Canada and the US), but France, Germany and Luxembourg still report their medal counts. Maybe Quebec should start to report its own medal count.

Edited by August1991

Apparently they got some real problems going on over there right now.

Row upon row of empty seats... as tickets sent to foreign VIPs go on the black market

Prized Olympic tickets entrusted to foreign delegations are being openly sold by touts on the streets of Britain, it emerged last night. They are cashing in on the huge demand for seats by selling tickets sent overseas by Games organisers. The revelation came as a row raged over embarrassing scenes of banks of empty seating at many Games venues – including last night’s swimming finals

Link

Apparently they got some real problems going on over there right now.

I have an extended relative that lives in London and I heard it was almost impossible to get tickets. They were settling for Paralympic tickets.

So yeah if I was a local and I saw all the empty seats I would be royally PO'd. I watched some of Canada's game against South Africa in Women's Soccer on Saturday. It was like watching a Tuesday Night Blue Jays game. The stadium was maybe a quarter full :P

Stuck in this hotel room, late at night, I flipped through the channels and saw part of this opening ceremony.

Is it not ironic that Greece is the first counrry to enter the arena?

I think it's because Greece was where Olympia is or where the idea of the Olympics originated. Greece has always been the first country introduced at the games. Everyone else is alphabetical.

However overall the spectacle that was the opening ceremonies was quite extravagant, over the top, assaulting your senses. There was a crap load going on at any one time, must have been a logistical nightmare to coordinate all those people for one continuous ever changing scene.

But in typical British style, the Queen was about as enthusiastic as a dead puppy.

Summer Olympic sports, by how much I like em.

Love

Archery - Awesome stuff, too bad I wasn't around in the middle ages when this was hot!

Boxing - Fighting is good!

Judo - Same as above

Swimming - Like racing, but in the water!!

Rowing - Same as above

Shooting - Like archery, but too "modern"

Volleyball - Alright I suppose, seems fun, fast, easy to follow

Diving - good pace, scoring, etc.

Artistic Gymnastics - Like the scoring, waiting for it; suspense.

Sorta Like

Basketball - Similar to Volleyball

Weightlifting - Simple to understand

Dunno

Canoe/Kayak Slalom - Never seen

Handball - Same

Field Hockey - Not seen too much of

Sailing - Same as above

Water Polo - Same as above, but it was in Trek, so I'll give it a shot

Sorta Dislike

Fencing - Was in "Dunno" but am watching ATM, not as fun as I thought it'd be.

Dislike

Tennis - Just not my cup of tea

Badminton - Like Tennis, but slower

Equestrian - Don't care for horses.

Hate

Table Tennis - Anything with "Table" in it, is out in my books

Beach Volleyball - Put on an effing sweater

I'm honestly not sure how some of these sports on the lower half of the list have made it into the games.

[quote name='TheNewTeddy' date='30 July 2012 - 02:25 PM'

Hate

Table Tennis - Anything with "Table" in it, is out in my books

Beach Volleyball - Put on an effing sweater

I'm honestly not sure how some of these sports on the lower half of the list have made it into the games.

your-header1.jpg?w=527&h=273

Beach Volleyball is one of the more popular sport, possibly because of the chicks with the bikini's. If you like Volleyball, Beach is more entertaining (IMHO) because it's just 2 on 2 so it's a lot less predictable.

Edited by Boges