Olympics 2012 in London

Summer Olympic sports, by how much I like em.

Love

Archery - Awesome stuff, too bad I wasn't around in the middle ages when this was hot!

Boxing - Fighting is good!

Judo - Same as above

Swimming - Like racing, but in the water!!

Rowing - Same as above

Shooting - Like archery, but too "modern"

Volleyball - Alright I suppose, seems fun, fast, easy to follow

Diving - good pace, scoring, etc.

Artistic Gymnastics - Like the scoring, waiting for it; suspense.

Sorta Like

Basketball - Similar to Volleyball

Weightlifting - Simple to understand

Dunno

Canoe/Kayak Slalom - Never seen

Handball - Same

Field Hockey - Not seen too much of

Sailing - Same as above

Water Polo - Same as above, but it was in Trek, so I'll give it a shot

Sorta Dislike

Fencing - Was in "Dunno" but am watching ATM, not as fun as I thought it'd be.

Dislike

Tennis - Just not my cup of tea

Badminton - Like Tennis, but slower

Equestrian - Don't care for horses.

Hate

Table Tennis - Anything with "Table" in it, is out in my books

Beach Volleyball - Put on an effing sweater

I'm honestly not sure how some of these sports on the lower half of the list have made it into the games.

I understand that fencing is one sport which requires some expertise from the spectator as well in order for there to be any point in watching that sport.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that fencing is one sport which requires some expertise from the spectator as well in order for there to be any point in watching that sport.

that goes for any sport an expert or enthusiast will appreciate it more than a casual sunny day fan...wyly jr swims and his coach requires precise technical hand, arm, leg positioning/timing is critical for maximum performance...to a causal olympic fan they only see the race , an expert or informed fan will see the technical weaknesses and strengths... Edited by wyly

not sure where you are going with this - best horse, best racquet, best swim suit, best soccer ball, best ribbon wins???...riding horses is regular stuff for those who know about the same. It takes certain skill to first walk a horse, watch someone who has never walked horses prior - they can get hurt, much less to control how it jumps or the speed it goes :)

the best racquet, swim suit is available to every athlete, horses can't be duplicated so there is only one best horse the rider with the wealthiest benefactor can have the best horse available...eric lamaze was one of the favoured for a gold medal until his horse died why should he lose his favoured status if the horse mattered so little?...why not include horse racing in the O's don't jockeys have riding skills? or is it because it matters little who is riding it's the horse that matters...
generally speed is referencing the speed on the ball, birdie...if you watch tennis they usually show how fast the ball is served, for the shuttles it is how fast it travel e.g. a smash travels at the fastest time of 332 km/h v 263 km/h for tennis the point of tennis being slower than badminton. Reaction is faster for badminton also...in other words badminton is a sport terribly UNDER-ESTIMATED, if taken seriously, it is not for the faint hearted - best news it gives great abs.
I've played all three tennis, badminton and table tennis...size of the playing surface and reaction time required in each are very different, just from my unscientific observation table tennis where the ball has the slowest speed of the three requires the shortest reaction time...

If you don't like an event why don't you STFU and don't watch it? Is that so hard?

this is a chat/debate forum if you don't want contrary opinions or to dabate the topic how about you take your own advice and STFU or leave... is that so hard...

Edited by wyly

the best racquet, swim suit is available to every athlete, horses can't be duplicated so there is only one best horse the rider with the wealthiest benefactor can have the best horse available...eric lamaze was one of the favoured for a gold medal until his horse died why should he lose his favoured status if the horse mattered so little?...why not include horse racing in the O's don't jockeys have riding skills? or is it because it matters little who is riding it's the horse that matters...

You don't always get the best equipment or training if you're from a poor nation. Many of the Canadian Athletes don't get the funding that Americans or Australians get so the medal count isn't even close. They value Olympic success more than we do.

There's human skill behind an animal that wins an horse event but money always helps.

Edited by Boges

this is a chat/debate forum if you don't want contrary opinions or to dabate the topic how about you take your own advice and STFU or leave... is that so hard...

Sure, I understand that.

But this thread is already being populated with various opinions of: I like this sport, I don't know about that sport, fighting is kewl!!!! I love fighting!!!! etc etc ad nauseum.

Perhaps I should have picked on Teddy's moronic post rather than yours. :lol:

The point remains - if you love a sport then watch it.

If you don't, then don't.

BFD.

My wife loves the Equestrian, I love the Volleyball (Beach and Court)

I think it's kind of silly to differentiate beach and court volleyball...

Should we have salt and fresh water swimming?

Meh, people only like beach to oogle the bodies anyways. May as well let the pole dancers get in ;)

Meh, people only like beach to oogle the bodies anyways. May as well let the pole dancers get in ;)

i prefer the beach game just because it flows more, fewer delays...

So eight doubles players in badminton get the boot from the Oly's for trying to throw a match to get a better opponent in the medal rounds.(Cjina,Indonesia and I think Korea athletes)

I like how fast they booted them for unsportsmanlike behaviour, but I wonder now if it was the right thing to do.I get the spirit angle, I get the visual of not trying your best, and above all I get how theses players were booed since the spectators knew they werent playing all out.

Every sport has a cheater element incorporated into it, one that is penalized mind you, but is there.Generally a team or player is not suspended unless a major violation of the rules

Frankly, not sure how I feel about this.

Edited by guyser

Well the sports are different. One is 6-6 the other is 2-2. One is on a large court and the other is on a small plot of sand.

I find, when watching court volleyball, that it's all formulaic. Bump, Set, Spike, Block. At least with Beach there's a lot of improvisation going on to make it more interesting.

And so what if the T'n'A is appealing. :huh:

Sure, I understand that.

But this thread is already being populated with various opinions of: I like this sport, I don't know about that sport, fighting is kewl!!!! I love fighting!!!! etc etc ad nauseum.

Perhaps I should have picked on Teddy's moronic post rather than yours. :lol:

BFD.

my opinions aren't done with malice, I'm very aware of the athletic/technical ability required even for the subjective sports I just don't think they belong in the games because they're highly subjective, you could just as easily include cheer leading, baton twirling, ballet/dance, vocals and piano they all require a high degree of physical and technical ability...where do you draw the line between sport and art?...IMO the more subjective the activity the more it is an art and not a sport...

The point remains - if you love a sport then watch it.

If you don't, then don't.

and I don't... Edited by wyly

my opinions aren't done with malice, I'm very aware of the athletic/technical ability required even for the subjective sports I just don't think they belong in the games because they're highly subjective, you could just as easily include cheer leading, baton twirling, ballet/dance, vocals and piano they all require a high degree of physical and technical ability...where do you draw the line between sport and art?...IMO the more subjective the activity the more it is an art and not a sport...

At one time the Olympics even had a competition for the arts. How's that subjectivity for you? :D

There are some rules that they have for the inclusion of a sport/discipline in the Olympics and I would think that one would consider those rules first before making any claims for including this and not including that.

But this is a forum where opinion is sought rather than informed opinion.

The common complaint is against the events that require judgement and I do not understand what the big deal is.

These events are athletic, there is a worldwide governing body for the disciplines, the disciplines are practiced widely around the world etc... (some of these conditions are relaxed moreso for the Winter Games otherwise there would be no point in holding the Winter Games).

Somehow because it requires a panel of judges to determine the rankings this means that it isn't worthy of the Olympic Games?

Huh? Exactly why does that make sense?

And don't give me the scandals over certain judges being bribed etc when we all know the extent and professionalism involved in doping the athletes in the "objective" events.

No, the reason people single out gymnastics and figure skating and these other events is because they just don't like these events.

And, as you already know, if you don't like an event then you shouldn't watch it and leave it to the people who like the event to take part in it.

Big deal.

The common complaint is against the events that require judgement and I do not understand what the big deal is.

And consider that all sports are judged, it makes the matter even more moot.

Basketball, was it a foul?

Soccer, he wa red carded for that?

Judo, you sure ref? His foot was out!

Sychronized diving, her left foot was off rotation.

All judges/judging affect the outcome.

I understand the sentiment of those that are only judged vs some games that areplayed against the opponent, but the fact is, a glass house is a glass house.

But this is a forum where opinion is sought rather than informed opinion.

?... being informed is a bad thing?...

why is it a big deal to not like it?
These events are athletic, there is a worldwide governing body for the disciplines, the disciplines are practiced widely around the world etc... (some of these conditions are relaxed moreso for the Winter Games otherwise there would be no point in holding the Winter Games).

ballet is highly athletic but not a sport...winter games weren't always that way other figure skating they did fine without all the other subjective sports that have been added...addition of newer subjective sports have been done for television ratings...
Somehow because it requires a panel of judges to determine the rankings this means that it isn't worthy of the Olympic Games?

not worthy in my opinion,
And don't give me the scandals over certain judges being bribed etc when we all know the extent and professionalism involved in doping the athletes in the "objective" events.
doping is just plain cheating by the athlete, not an issue IMO in the subjective sports...when winning and losing is determined by a third parties "opinion" it's no longer a true sport where strength, speed, balance etc. are the deciding factors
No, the reason people single out gymnastics and figure skating and these other events is because they just don't like these events.
I have had the same issues in the past with boxing and TaeKwondo when judges "opinions" brought both sports in danger of being kicked out of the games...the athletes need to determine victory not a judge with an opinion...
And, as you already know, if you don't like an event then you shouldn't watch it and leave it to the people who like the event to take part in it.

and I sometime watch "subjective" sports I just don't take them seriously as real sports...

[big deal]right... bring on square(synchronized) dancing the next olympic sport, ye ha!...

Edited by wyly

And consider that all sports are judged, it makes the matter even more moot.

Basketball, was it a foul?

Soccer, he wa red carded for that?

Judo, you sure ref? His foot was out!

Sychronized diving, her left foot was off rotation.

All judges/judging affect the outcome.

I understand the sentiment of those that are only judged vs some games that areplayed against the opponent, but the fact is, a glass house is a glass house.

The biggest one, though no longer an Olympics sport, is Baseball. Almost everything related to the ins and outs of baseball involved the subjective view of umpires.

Gold medal winning athletes taxed $9000 dollars by the IRS for the value of their medals. #Pathetic

What is pathetic is this is patently....grossly false.

It is however what Fox news reported, but is such bullshit.

Really shady, you do have a reputation of spewing complete bs, but do you really need to constantly reinforce it?

Edited by guyser

?... being informed is a bad thing?...

Apparently, yes.

why is it a big deal to not like it?

I don't see the point on being negative on a sport. If you don't like it you don't like it.

But why whine about it?

ballet is highly athletic but not a sport...winter games weren't always that way other figure skating they did fine without all the other subjective sports that have been added...addition of newer subjective sports have been done for television ratings...

At one time figure skating and ice hockey were in the Summer Games so not sure what your point is here.

not worthy in my opinion,

Fair enough.

doping is just plain cheating by the athlete, not an issue IMO in the subjective sports...when winning and losing is determined by a third parties "opinion" it's no longer a true sport where strength, speed, balance etc. are the deciding factors

But the Olympic Games is about games; hence the name.

It's not called the Olympic Sports.

Hence my call for informed discussion.

And, since you're not going to give it I suppose I shouldn't be expecting it. :P

I have had the same issues in the past with boxing and TaeKwondo when judges "opinions" brought both sports in danger of being kicked out of the games...the athletes need to determine victory not a judge with an opinion...

Was it the judging that almost led them to be kicked out or other reasons? I notice that boxing has been a part of the Olympics since about 1920 (off and on prior to then for certain reasons).

As has already been demonstrated, the modern Olympics has a long history of allowing judging into the Games so why would that be a factor?

Are you sure your not confusing your own bias here?

and I sometime watch "subjective" sports I just don't take them seriously as real sports...

And, once again, it's not called the Olympic Sports.

The Olympic Games includes sports and disciplines which, if this was an informed discussion from the beginning, you would have known so we would not have to go down such a silly path.

[big deal]right... bring on square(synchronized) dancing the next olympic sport, ye ha!...

I doubt it would ever get in based on the existing criteria for inclusion.

Once again, that would require an informed discussion and that's just not going to happen on this thread with you, apparently.

Edited by msj

The biggest one, though no longer an Olympics sport, is Baseball. Almost everything related to the ins and outs of baseball involved the subjective view of umpires.

the difference being umpires and referees arbitrate the rules between competitors they don't judge the winner with completely subjective style points for flair or artistic merit...the judges in taekwondo were blatantly cheating like the figure skating judges favouring one competitor/or country over another...in boxing they were just incompetent... Edited by wyly

the difference being umpires and referees arbitrate the rules between competitors they don't judge the winner with completely subjective style points for flair or artistic merit...

True, however as we both know match fixing, a plague to soccer, certainly determines outcomes and spreads to pay off betters who are in on it.

The NBA has gone thru it too.Tim Donaghy?

It has become very obvious that hosting the olympic-games is a very bad business for the host-city and host-country. Ironically the last olympic games which yielded some economic profit were the Atlanta games 16 years ago and those games have been branded as the most soulless and boring games ever. The Sydney games four years later were considered very warm-spirited and good games but turned out to be a financial disaster. One doesn't even need to begin to talk about the Athens games in 2004. Actually, Barcelona still has not sorted out the debt caused by the olympic games in that city 20 years ago.

Despite all that the big cities in the world compete fiercely for the opportunity to host the games. It really beats me why. I understand that for cities like Seoul or Atlanta hosting the games is an opportunity to become better-known in the world but that argument surely does not hold for London.

Very often the fancy facilities built for the games become useless after the games are over. I think in the future the games should be awarded to cities where those facilities already exist and the requirements for those facilities don't ned to be that strict that they must the state-of-the-art or the newest new.

It has become very obvious that hosting the olympic-games is a very bad business for the host-city and host-country.

Why because they are profitable?

Its a hard question to answer because so much of the cost is for infrastructure improvements. In 1984 LA paved the way for the future on profits at the Oly's.

Calgary was a success, Montreal was not...actually it was a disaster.

Vancouver was a success, Barcelona recd and still does, huge tourist boost .

Sarajevo...not so much ;)

Pretty hard to quantify a new subway line, or in Japans case with Osaka, the building of the Bullet train.

Does all the money paid for this come back in the two weeks the games are on? Nope, but as can be seen, the improvements in the roads et al are a cost they were soon to have to embark on any way.

Guest American Woman

Makes it even better.

It does - I'm anxious to hear what my daughter has to say about it. I just read that Obama called all of the team members and he told her that he was impressed how she bounced back and led the team to the Gold - but it sounds as if she were more thrilled by Justin Bieber tweeting that he follows all of them. 17 year olds - what do they know, eh? :P