Canada's Gas Prices

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Revisionist history in all it's "glory". I wonder how Harper explains losing around 5 billion off the latest budget. Or was that Paul Martin's fault as well?

What is revisionist? The LPC and NDP rejected the Conservative budget and threatened to bring down the government unless they spend a giant pile of money. At the time, even the huge increase in spending they did get was criticized by the opposition parties as not enough.

Yup, when the opposition acts like children, they don't get to play anymore either.

Nope, they don't have the power to prorogue parliament. That's left to Harper when he acts like a child. He even goes far enough with it to be actually found in contempt. Oh well, we will have at least something to remember him by.

Kind of like when Harper gets in a snit and closes down parliament.

Yeah because PM Stephan Dion was exactly what the electorate had in mind when they voted in 2008. Would you have preferred a new election?

The polls in the aftermath showed how unpopular the coalition would have been. The CPC would have probably gained majority status 3 years before they ended up getting it.

Which is why Iggy was given the leadership immediately and he backed down.

Edited by Boges

Yeah because PM Stephan Dion was exactly what the electorate had in mind when they voted in 2008. Would you have preferred a new election?

The polls in the aftermath showed how unpopular the coalition would have been the CPC would have probably gained majority status 3 years before then ended up getting it.

Which is why Iggy was given the leadership immediately and he backed down.

Yes to all that. The potential coalition partners realized immediately that they had made a serious mistake, and never had anything to say about the whole charade after. Except for Ignatieff, who took over at that point from Dion and said 'not going to happen, not talking about it ever again next question please".

Reasons given for oil price drops...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/energy-and-resources/why-oil-prices-are-dropping-despite-mideast-unrest/article20717966/

...but the real reason global oil prices are falling ... demand is no longer increasing at the rate it once was.

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Oil-Prices/5-Reasons-Oil-Prices-Are-Dropping.html

1. The U.S. Oil Boom

2. Libya is Back

3. OPEC Infighting

4. Negative European Economic Outlook

5. Tepid Asian Demand

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jessecolombo/2014/06/09/9-reasons-why-oil-prices-may-be-headed-for-a-bust/

1) The unwinding of record speculative bullish bets

2) The “smart money” is growing increasingly bearish

3) The global monetary environment is tightening

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-29/why-oil-prices-went-down-so-far-so-fast.html

Price Cut

On Oct. 1, Saudi Arabia lowered prices on its crude exports to Asia to the lowest in more than five years. Iraq and Iran followed. Frankfurt-based Commerzbank AG called it a price war.

“That’s where the perception of their action changed overnight,” said Ole Hansen, head of commodity strategy at Saxo Bank A/S in Copenhagen. “They must have been aware how the market would interpret that when they’d been such a guarantor of stable prices for so long.”

http://fortune.com/2014/10/15/whats-behind-the-drop-in-oil-prices-heres-what-analysts-have-to-say/

And then there’s the stronger U.S. dollar.

A stronger U.S. dollar isn’t helping prices. The dollar hit a 4-year high on Oct. 3 as measured by the Bloomberg Dollar Spot Index, which tracks the greenback against 10 global trading partners.

What is revisionist? The LPC and NDP rejected the Conservative budget and threatened to bring down the government unless they spend a giant pile of money. At the time, even the huge increase in spending they did get was criticized by the opposition parties as not enough.

How can they bring down a Parliament where the CPC holds 168 or so out of 308 ridings? Edited by jbg

Believe he was referring to the previous minority parliament but I have no idea what that has to do with present gas prices.

That can be the only thing he could be referring to, at least in the real world. And what it has to do with current gas prices is quite a "head scratch" for sure. However what is interesting, in the real world, is that non confidence budget vote that brought Harper down at the time was actually a way of dissolving government before having to vote on the committee finding of "contempt of parliament", which had never happened before, and was a loose cannon that no party wanted to have to confront.

How can they bring down a pPaliament where the CPC holds 168 or so out of 308 ridings?

Believe he was referring to the previous minority parliament but I have no idea what that has to do with present gas prices.

Correct. In Nov 2008, the CPC had 143 seats.

Also, 90.9 at several locations in Winnipeg today.

Edited by Bryan

Correct. In Nov 2008, the CPC had 143 seats.

Also, 90.9 at several locations in Winnipeg today.

I didn't realize you were referring to the November 2008-May 2011 government.

Fancy economics, nations relations, finely tuned laws and money are what drive the WTO. The person with the most money will only adjust slightly toward our individual preferences being mindful that the system is not built on the foundations of sustainability. Nor are our personalities geared to suite such an idea all we can do is fantasize at this point at a better world and nudge it there. I say give them their big piles of money let all those leaders play politics. When confronted with survival things change overnight. If we should begin to lose our bodies ability to take in oxygen I am sure our whole system would change overnight. I dream of a better world but there is purpose in what we are doing as we rush toward some truth that will undoubtedly hurt our children and our future.

We are all headed for a great lesson with all these debates relying on our governments to change things for us when it's us who have to bear the change. Like a child giving birth the pain will be excruciating. If you could adopt a mindset that felt the pain and suffering of all your family all the way back to prehistory the world will be a different place indeed.

Edited by TheAboriginalMan

That is when the big stimulus spending was implemented. What did you think I was talking about?

Also, 88.9 in Winnipeg today.

I thought you were talking about the curent majority government. I misunderstood.

And I wish we could get back to 88.9; per gallon, though.