Canada's Gas Prices

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a road trip from Vancouver to Calgary just before Xmas. Prices ranged from 1.19 - .80 a litre. .80 at Costco but it took an hour to drive and wait in a long line to get it so the savings really didn't mean much in the scheme of things.

Edited by eyeball

One sector that is making a big profit because of low oil prices are transport companies or companies that have a large transporting sector like a grocery distro chain. Low fuel prices mean their transport costs are very very low, increasing their profits. But you won't see that translate into lower prices when you go to buy your groceries.

GH, many of those same industries hedged earlier in the year or last year and may very well be locked in to higher prices.

Nature of the game I am afraid.

They have not been locked into higher prices, they willingly increase prices (or reduce contents of the grocery item) to make themselves profitable. You may still pay 2 dollars for that item, but you now get less of that item. When the oil price rises again, you will see everything else go up as well. Meaning they are taking advantage of the customer. We really need to drop the term consumer and get back to being a customer.

The lowing of contents is a hidden inflation tactic. And it is still outpacing the increase of wages in general. Meaning everyone will have less than they have now.

It's the nature of the game, and it needs to be fixed/changed.

Diesel in AB has been more expensive than gasoline for a long time. That is counter intuitive since diesel is a lower quality fuel.

A farmer explained it as being simply supply and demand. There is chronic high demand for diesel, so they charge more. The demand comes from truck and train traffic, not fuel oil use here.

A new local upgrader/refinery will be online soon that is specifically aimed at cranking out diesel, perhaps that will help.

Going down to like 92¢ tomorrow in the GTA. I never thought I'd see prices like this again. Keep in mind, prices in Ontario include an 8% HST surcharge that started in 2010. So we haven't seen REAL prices like this since the economic meltdown in 2008/9.

In the USA I saw prices as low as $2.10/gallon.

What's funny about this, is that a lot of what's behind the plummeting price is a lack of demand due to efficiency in vehicles nowadays. Something the Enviros wanted.

Now they're pissed that the prices have bottomed out. Watch for people on the left to call for huge carbon taxes to artificially keep the prices high.

Carbon taxes would be met with a lot of resistance, but I can see a move for higher gas taxes to pay for roads and bridges. Those higher mileage vehicles are biting into state and federal revenue per miles driven. As you know, one of the main reasons Canada has higher gas prices is due to taxes.

My dear wife is actually giddy about going to the gas station these days.....amazing.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Carbon taxes would be met with a lot of resistance, but I can see a move for higher gas taxes to pay for roads and bridges. Those higher mileage vehicles are biting into state and federal revenue per miles driven. As you know, one of the main reasons Canada has higher gas prices is due to taxes.

My dear wife is actually giddy about going to the gas station these days.....amazing.

Or more road tolls. You have a lot of those down south.

What's funny about this, is that a lot of what's behind the plummeting price is a lack of demand due to efficiency in vehicles nowadays. Something the Enviros wanted.

Now they're pissed that the prices have bottomed out. Watch for people on the left to call for huge carbon taxes to artificially keep the prices high.

I'm surprised the right hasn't blown up a bunch of Saudi oil infrastructure to artificially jack prices back up closer to corporate comfort levels.

Actually all the enviros ever wanted was for people to burn less fuel. We're all just as happy to have more money in our wallet as anyone else - why anyone would think otherwise is about as stupid as thinking wealthy people need to get rich faster than ordinary people could ever hope to.

Actually all the enviros ever wanted was for people to burn less fuel. We're all just as happy to have more money in our wallet as anyone else...

ROTFL. The most ironic statement ever. Enviros want people to be poor and unable to afford energy . They may insist this is not the case but they are only deluding themselves as long as they continually push policies designed to increase the cost of energy. Edited by TimG

Down to $1.89/gallon....welcome back to the late 1980's and 1990's ! Saddam who ?

Not quite. Even in the NYC area we didn't get over $1.59 for regular unleaded until sometime in the winter of 1999-2000.

This is continuing to be the biggest price reduction on anything I've ever seen. I paid 70.0 a litre yesterday. When is the last time we saw prices that low in Canada?It would be nice to pretend that this is a price correction -- that the high prices were just a bubble that has burst, and we are now back to "real" pricing.