Total fossil emissions in the world is only 0.1% to 0.2% of total greenhouse gases

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

You don't understand the economy.

You don't understand the contempt and palpable hatred that a good percentage of Canadians have for the present Liberal government.  Your fawning defence of everything Liberal  would be amusing if Trudeau's policies weren't punishing citizens . . . in this 'land of plenty' with a plunging standaed of living.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, blackbird said:

In one word...nature.  The way it always has.  The world's temperatures are a complex thing.  Why have there been colder periods and hotter periods in history?  The same reason,  nature.  God designed the universe with a changing climate on earth obviously.  Same reason we have different seasons each year.  That is the way God created it to be

You know that past natural cycles of warming and cooling have been dictated by changes to atmospheric CO2 levels, right?

16 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Well that's an interesting assertion Mike. https://royalyorkpropertymanagement.ca/news-article/most-ontario-renters-choosing-between-food-and-paying-rent-report

I'm beginning to wonder if you really "understand" anything short of institutional fealty?

Lord grant me the confidence of an a$$hole landlord who brags about jacking up rents and evicting vulnerable people posting a link about people struggling to make ends meet because of rising rents.

4 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Lord grant me the confidence of an a$$hole landlord who brags about jacking up rents and evicting vulnerable people posting a link about people struggling to make ends meet because of rising rents.

Who might that be? I will be increasing my rents BECAUSE IM FORCED TO by stupid Libbie tricks.

Tricks like...spending us into a hole forcing the prime rate up. Attacking fuel so the cost of products double in price.

You wanna whine about all the poor people Libbie policy has created? Tell me...

How many of these poor have you taken into your home?

33 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Well that's an interesting assertion Mike. https://royalyorkpropertymanagement.ca/news-article/most-ontario-renters-choosing-between-food-and-paying-rent-report

I'm beginning to wonder if you really "understand" anything short of institutional fealty?

My feeling is that you believe that people are being evicted due to the carbon tax. 

32 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

You don't understand the contempt and palpable hatred that a good percentage of Canadians have for the present Liberal government.  Your fawning defence of everything Liberal  would be amusing if Trudeau's policies weren't punishing citizens . . . in this 'land of plenty' with a plunging standaed of living.

You are on ignore because you make terrible posts. This is another one. 

Go Ahead and redeem yourself and find a single example of me defending Trudeau.

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

My feeling is that you believe that people are being evicted due to the carbon tax. 

It's one major reason. Pixie-Dust's various taxes and spending spree are completely counter productive and indeed...destructive. 

Edited by Nationalist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

It's one major reason. Pixie-Dust's various taxes and spending spree are completely counter productive and indeed...destructive. 

The carbon tax is a major reason people are homeless? Do you really believe that?

50 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

It’s just not something you have to worry about.  Many other people do worry.  

The carbon tax is not doing this. It's unrestrained predatory monopolies, and our whole system.

4 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

The carbon tax is a major reason people are homeless? Do you really believe that?

Yes. As I said, it's a major reason. The whole war on fossil fuels is. Mike...why do you think inflation is where it is right now?

35 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Yes. As I said, it's a major reason. The whole war on fossil fuels is. Mike...why do you think inflation is where it is right now?

How can you say that this tax, adding pennies, is the cause of homelessness? It defies the imagination. 

Are housing problems started in earnest 5 to 10 years ago when rents started spiking.

18 hours ago, Black Dog said:

Again: the evidence is the increase in global temperatures corresponds with the increase in atmospheric CO2 caused by human activities. What's the alternative explanation for why global temperatures have increased so rapidly?

Problem is: the vast majority of pseudo science is attributing what they would like to see to the wrong cause.

30 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

How can you say that this tax, adding pennies, is the cause of homelessness? It defies the imagination. 

Are housing problems started in earnest 5 to 10 years ago when rents started spiking.

Mike...are you having a "moment"? I said it is a major reason. Wakey wakey. 

Fossil fuels are a pillar...a base...of both the Canadian and global economies. When you artificially raise the cost of it, the effects are both immediate and wide spread. It effects the cost of everything. Thus massive inflationary pressures...everywhere.

What does the central bank do to combat inflation? They raise rates. What does that do to mortgages? It raises them. What do rental home owners do? Raise the rent.

Here endith the lesson. 

Edited by Nationalist

3 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Mike...are you having a "moment"? I said it is a major reason. Wakey wakey. 

Yeah, I can't believe you're actually saying that. The housing situation has been going up gradually over a decade. Nothing to do with a carbon tax at all.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

The carbon tax is not doing this. It's unrestrained predatory monopolies, and our whole system.

All of which are supported by the policies, laws and regulations of this country - INCLUDING carbon tax (that exists solely to build yet another bureaucracy to redistribute money from the West to buy Liberal votes.  Instead of controlling immigration, the massive campaign to bring anything with a breath into the country in the hopes they will vote for the people who handed them a free pass to Shangri-la we sit by and watch our legacy population suffer the incredible level of inflation in both consumer goods and real estate without a second thought of the consequences.

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yeah, I can't believe you're actually saying that. The housing situation has been going up gradually over a decade. Nothing to do with a carbon tax at all.

True. Now it even worse. As I said...oil and gas are major causes. Other factors exist like...insane levels of deficit spending.

Don't get me wrong...deficit spending can produce positive results. But whats been going on for about 5 years now is suicide. Abuse of the highest order.

Current inflationary pressure is much higher, I suspect, than our "institutions" will admit to right now.

9 minutes ago, cannuck said:

All of which are supported by the policies, laws and regulations of this country - INCLUDING carbon tax (that exists solely to build yet another bureaucracy to redistribute money from the West to buy Liberal votes.  Instead of controlling immigration, the massive campaign to bring anything with a breath into the country in the hopes they will vote for the people who handed them a free pass to Shangri-la we sit by and watch our legacy population suffer the incredible level of inflation in both consumer goods and real estate without a second thought of the consequences.

Yes, so.... Immigration policy has a giant  impact and it was also done by the Liberals. Yes. Carbon tax though? No.

People seem to just enjoy arguing unwinnable points today.

On 4/9/2024 at 9:39 AM, Black Dog said:

And what's killing phytoplankton?

oceanic pollution - led by plastics and including some of the nastiest poisons in UV protectant chemicals in plastics, PFAS, BPA, phthalates - the list just goes on and on.   Then add the microplastics into the mess and you now run right down the food chain.

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

Yes, so.... Immigration policy has a giant  impact and it was also done by the Liberals. Yes. Carbon tax though? No.

People seem to just enjoy arguing unwinnable points today.

I agree: show me any one single thing this "carbon tax" has accomplished to save the planet and control inflation in Canada.

3 minutes ago, cannuck said:

... show me any one single thing this "carbon tax" has accomplished to save the planet and control inflation in Canada.

I only commented because somebody was trying to tie tax into homelessness. 

I've made plenty of other comments on climate, you can go look those up if you like.

39 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

While house prices have been rising steadily over the years,  carbon taxes affect the price of everything.  The cost of lumber and building materials goes up because of increasing carbon taxes.  It costs more money to ship lumber and building materials because there is a carbon tax on gasoline and a larger carbon tax on diesel fuel which trucks often use.  Trucks ship all the building materials that are used to build homes.  The construction industry's costs go up and home cost go up.  If the costs of society for food, fuel, home heating all go up and carbon tax is part of that, then that just adds to the cost of everything.  It is silly to say carbon taxes only affect the cost of fuel or home heating.  The costs filter right through society.  Carbon taxes were increased on April 1st from $65 a ton to $80 a ton right across Canada.  This increasing cost will continue to increase every year under the Liberals, with no noticeable affect on global warming or the climate.

On 3/23/2024 at 4:28 PM, Aristides said:

Actually there was a Little Ice Age between the 14th and 19th centuries.

I read that a small forest where Stradivari sourced the wood for his violins, had gone through a mini ice age giving the wood a higher density. One of the major factors of the quality of sound produced.

6 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yea, this is called the butterfly effect... but no serious economist seriously thinks that this is significant.

Of course economists will say it has an overall effect.  It is one factor of many.  Every bit counts.  When you add all  the costs caused by many factors, they all add up.   Just to pick carbon taxes and say that doesn't count is ludicrous.  All costs add up.  That is why many Canadians are struggling to make ends.  Many can't afford a home or the rent.  Groceries take a lot of money.  Gas is very expensive, especially in B.C. where it is the highest price in North America and a third of it is government taxes.  Adding carbon taxes to the mix doesn't help anyone.

Posted (edited)

I wonder how many people realize how Quebec gets favoured treatment over the rest of Canadians.

Quebec does not even have a carbon tax.  They have a cap and trade system, which essentially means they put regulations on the amount of carbon industries can emit.

This takes a lot of the oppressive weight off the citizens who are having a hard time making ends meet, but only helps the people of Quebec.  This is totally discriminatory and unfair to the rest of Canadians.  Who knows what they are doing exactly with the cap and trade system in Quebec. It is something that is out of sight.

The fed liberals/NDP don't care about the people in the rest of Canada.  Quebec is Trudeau's favourite and now the maritimes get a break with the  carbon tax removed from oil heating.

Edited by blackbird

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

It's not pennies. Carbon tax accounts for over $10 on a 60 litre fill at the pumps. Carbon tax on my natural gas bill is now more than double the market cost of the gas. It isn't causing homelessness but it is a driver of inflation.