People in BC no longer British Columbians...as first Nations find it offensive...

No one is surprised what happens in BC, but this one media piece does take the cake...The left just takes all of this way to far, maybe we should start calling them wingnuts...as it seems that this once great province has been completely turned upside down...kind of like California maybe it is in the water...

The reason it wound up being called British Columbia was only to offend America who figured all of Columbia was theirs.

We certainly don't belong to Britain either and as I said in another thread I bear ancestral grievances against Long-shanks and England's tyranny so I'm perfectly fine with this.

On 2/23/2024 at 2:57 PM, eyeball said:

The reason it wound up being called British Columbia was only to offend America who figured all of Columbia was theirs.

I have always wondered where this "British Columbia" came from.

Columbia is a country in South America.   How it got its name "Columbia", I also do not know and do not care all that much.

But how did part of Canada ended up being called Columbia ? 

Is it from the Columbia river, which was called Columbia by some explorer with very poor imagination?

The Columbia river probably has an indigenous name, which if it reverts to, we may have to change the name of the province too.

On 2/23/2024 at 5:57 PM, eyeball said:

We certainly don't belong to Britain either and as I said in another thread I bear ancestral grievances against Long-shanks and England's tyranny so I'm perfectly fine with this.

That happened like 800 years ago when Britain was still ruled by the monarchy and long before the British empire or Chris Columbus LOL.

1 hour ago, cougar said:

I have always wondered where this "British Columbia" came from.

Columbia is a country in South America.   How it got its name "Columbia", I also do not know and do not care all that much.

But how did part of Canada ended up being called Columbia ? 

Is it from the Columbia river, which was called Columbia by some explorer with very poor imagination?

The Columbia river probably has an indigenous name, which if it reverts to, we may have to change the name of the province too.

Colombia is a country, spelled differently than Columbia, but probably named for the same reason.  I assume it's all named after Christopher Columbus.

11 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

That happened like 800 years ago when Britain was still ruled by the monarchy and long before the British empire or Chris Columbus LOL.

I know, but we also support people willing to wage wars over 4000 year old land claims so....it's all good.

Queen Victoria named it. Columbia referred to Columbus's new world. It was also the disputed Oregon Territory. The northern part was called New Caledonia, the south Oregon. The 1846 Treaty divided it along the 49th.

France already named an island colony New Caledonia, Colombia in S America was already established so she picked British Columbia as the name in 1858 when established as a British colony. Kept that name when it merged with the Colony of Vancouver Island in 1866 and joined Canada in 1871.
Then it wasn't a colony anymore so other than historically the 'British' hasn't meant anything since.

But we could give it some unpronounceable name that looks like it was typed on a keyboard with no vowels and too many punctuation marks in keeping with today's renaming conventions.

4 hours ago, herbie said:

But we could give it some unpronounceable name that looks like it was typed on a keyboard with no vowels and too many punctuation marks in keeping with today's renaming conventions.

These are for the guttural sounds often used. I had the opportunity to listen to a couple of old-timers hereabouts talking in their language, it was like listening to Klingons.   

Fact of the matter is that everyone always says B.C. no one ever says the whole name out except for people who don't live here. Or on some 'official' document, no one else even writes out 15 letters when 2 will do.

Or when you meet a stupid border guard that asks where your from and thinks you said DC, looks at your BC license plates goes doh! then asks what town and when you answer Vancouver says Vancouver Warshington?... when he works at a crossing hundreds of miles from there and can literally see the highrises in Vancouver Canada from where he's standing....

You're right, I've learned a little of the local dialect to understand a bit, but holy shit their written lingo has more triangles and upside down numbers than vowels. My kid would taunt his Scot grandmother mimicking it: Gramma buy us cann dee. You too want sung ghee (jerky). How lots of (whatever)...
He could mimic lingos well as a kid. They thought it was cute using the Scot one, having zero clue he was mimicking Fat Bastard from Goldmember.....

Edited by herbie

On 3/3/2024 at 7:56 AM, Perspektiv said:

Leave it to the woke, and we will be stripped of everything this country stands for, which is conveniently offensive.

Once the comatose die off no one will ever give it a 2nd thought again.

51 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Once the comatose die off no one will ever give it a 2nd thought again.

Better yet, start fostering these thoughts in kindergarten, so you get activists pushing the remaining non comatose people out by force.

On 3/3/2024 at 10:56 AM, Perspektiv said:

Might as well change Canada's name, to its original Iroquois spelling of Kanata while you're at it.

Or as in the Mohawk, iennekanandaaa. They would likely prefer that one. Much harder to spell, let alone say it, or sing it in our national anthem.

It's not allowed to be re-spelled phonetically. Then you've simply anglicized it again. That way it shows more respect, you see.

As is already happening anyway, incrementally, in drips and drabs all over the nation.

Winnipeg-proposes-new-indigenous-street-names-but-theyre-too-hard-to-pronounce

Edmonton-city-councillor-worries-naming-streets-with-indigenous-words-will-make-them-hard-to-pronounce

On 2/26/2024 at 12:42 PM, herbie said:

I have an idea.  Since we are a multicultural country now, we should pick a letter from each world alphabet when renaming places, rivers , mountains.

A proper Canadian name will look something like this:     ϠЩػᴶ∑₯

Having lived half my life outside the Lower Mainland (604), I think we should just rename everything in Area code 250 as "Beyond Hope".

I mean medical, transportation, govt services, retail, even fast food franchises just completely fall apart soon as you hit Spuzzum BC.

7 hours ago, herbie said:

Having lived half my life outside the Lower Mainland (604), I think we should just rename everything in Area code 250 as "Beyond Hope".

I mean medical, transportation, govt services, retail, even fast food franchises just completely fall apart soon as you hit Spuzzum BC.

You think 604 is way better?   A mailed a card registered mail that was supposed to go to Europe.  It took the card 5 days to make it from 250 to 604 , then another 20 days to make it to Montreal, although there are planes leaving Vancouver for Europe every day and not just one.

The whole country and the whole system is beyond hope.

Edited by cougar

11 hours ago, cougar said:

You think 604 is way better?   A mailed a card registered mail that was supposed to go to Europe.  It took the card 5 days to make it from 250 to 604 , then another 20 days to make it to Montreal, although there are planes leaving Vancouver for Europe every day and not just one.

The whole country and the whole system is beyond hope.

Same anywhere. Ordered a hardware upgrade for my organ from Germany, cost $345.00

Two days to arrive in Montreal, one week to clear customs, ten days to get to my address

Opened box to find some of the protective packaging had been removed so item damaged beyond repair.

That was 10 months ago, Still trying to get compensation from Customs/Canada post.

13 hours ago, Legato said:

That was 10 months ago, Still trying to get compensation from Customs/Canada post.

Let us know how it goes.

I filed a complaint using the Canada Post chat feature, just because I had time to waste.  It took me 4 chat sessions because I was disconnected 3 times about 3/4 into the process.  I had to start from scratch each time as the rep had no record of my previous chat session.  They were wondering why I was unhappy when according to their last scan the item had been forwarded to its international destination.  It just doesn't register with them that 22 days for a Birthday card to leave the country may be a bit excessive!

When I lived in Trail, BC, my cousin in Vancouver told her teacher that I lived way up north in a place called Trail. Trail is less than 10 km from the 49th parallel. 

People in the lower mainland think once you get past Hope, you're in Alberta. Except, sanwiched in that border is a little valley called the Okanagon.

British Columbia is a brand new name. The nations who have called the area home, from the Ahousaht on the Island to the Sinixt in the southern interior, to the Tlingit in the north, had many names for their land for 12000 plus years. 

I love the name British Columbia because I am a militant Monarchist. If we must change the name, "Salish" would be appropriate since that was the dominant linguistic demographic for most of the south at least. 

Edited by Queenmandy85