Black History Month.

So, we are once again suppose to be celebrating Black History Month. But what am I suppose to be celebrating about anyway? What has the black community done to want us all to celebrate their history? Did they do anything great for Canada. You tell me? 

But what i am really waiting for is when will the day come when White folk get to celebrate their own White History Month? It seems like the white folk always get passed by.

Just curious, that's all.

Any comment? What say you? 😇

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 4:56 PM, taxme said:

So, we are once again suppose to be celebrating Black History Month. But what am I suppose to be celebrating about anyway? What has the black community done to want us all to celebrate their history? Did they do anything great for Canada. You tell me? 

But what i am really waiting for is when will the day come when White folk get to celebrate their own White History Month? It seems like the white folk always get passed by.

Well, I guess that there is nothing to say or talk about when it comes to Black History Month because there is no real history to talk about. They sure get a lot of commercial time these days though. I wonder why that is? 😇

• Like 1

Because while progressives are in a minority in Canada they are in the majority in the media, as well as among our academics, senior union leaders, and an unfortunate number of political positions. And they think tokenism and paternalism toward black people shows their virtue.

Black women are about 1.5% of the population and given every second commercial has a black woman in it and every news show features multiple interviews with black women I imagine a very large percentage of them have already been featured in advertisements or news stories.

Btw, you forgot the story of Canada's greatest Black heroine, Viola Davis! She owned a beauty parlor, and got a ticket for sitting in the wrong part of a theater meant for whites only and refusing to move when told to because her feet were sore. 

The end.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Black women are about 1.5% of the population and given every second commercial has a black woman in it and every news show features multiple interviews with black women I imagine a very large percentage of them have already been featured in advertisements or news stories.

Btw, you forgot the story of Canada's greatest Black heroine, Viola Davis! She owned a beauty parlor, and got a ticket for sitting in the wrong part of a theater meant for whites only and refusing to move when told to because her feet were sore. 

WTF?

I was always curious about the face. No doubt, we will soon have another face on our money.

Why not Leonard Cohen on our 10?

Years ago, in Soviet times, I asked a German why they don't have famous German names on their money.

She answered: "It's complicated. It depends where they're born."

=====

In Europe, when designing the paper euros, they chose bridges. But the bridges are fictional.

The coins have a connection to reality - look on the back of any European coin.

Edited by August1991

10 hours ago, August1991 said:

I was always curious about the face. No doubt, we will soon have another face on our money.

Why not Leonard Cohen on our 10?

Justin Trudeau would be the perfect choice for the $5.-  . . . . his face on one side, and his other face on the other side. One face black, the other white . . . truly 'woke'.

The $5.- note is realitivly worthless now with Justinflation . . .  and being relagated to 'toilet paper' status, will give the user of said note a certain satisfaction when being put to use.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Is anyone forced to celebrate Black History month, or even pay attention to it for that matter? 😑

Except in some corporate environments, no.

It's just that the idea of a month given to a race is quite damaging to social cohesion. Less than slavery nonetheless, but it keeps the idea of 'the other' ingrained in the collective mind.

5 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Except in some corporate environments, no.

What does that look like? There are black people on the home screen of your office computer?  An email goes out that says, "Something something, black History month"?  

It's just that the idea of a month given to a race is quite damaging to social cohesion. Less than slavery nonetheless, but it keeps the idea of 'the other' ingrained in the collective mind.

I think it's a nothingburger.  

20 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

What does that look like? There are black people on the home screen of your office computer?  An email goes out that says, "Something something, black History month"?  

Mostly corpo bullshit shoved down your throat.

For me, it was a course on WorkDay to learn not to be overtly racist, something that already exists on its own but has to be repeated on Black History Month. We also had a seminar where a Black Lady recorded herself at home on her webcam and said that the company I work for strives for Diversity and Inclusion and that racism is bad m'kay.

21 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

I think it's a nothingburger.  

Mostly, but symbolically speaking, it's dumb to dedicate a month for a race and it's keeping 'The Other' mentality.

It's lame, corny and useless. Get rid of it.

• Like 1

Mostly corpo bullshit shoved down your throat.

For me, it was a course on WorkDay to learn not to be overtly racist, something that already exists on its own but has to be repeated on Black History Month. We also had a seminar where a Black Lady recorded herself at home on her webcam and said that the company I work for strives for Diversity and Inclusion and that racism is bad m'kay.

and you tuned out, like everyone else, and got on with your day I imagine.  

Mostly, but symbolically speaking, it's dumb to dedicate a month for a race and it's keeping 'The Other' mentality.

It's lame, corny and useless. Get rid of it.

Yes, I think so too, but I roll my eyes once a year and move on.  I don't come to the internet and talk about how we need White History Month.  😆

13 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

and you tuned out, like everyone else, and got on with your day I imagine.  

Sort of.

13 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Yes, I think so too, but I roll my eyes once a year and move on.  I don't come to the internet and talk about how we need White History Month.  😆

It's a view I quite understand. It's incredibly stupid to dedicate a month to Black people, so it would be stupid to have a month dedicated to White people. The comparison here is appropriate imo.

1 hour ago, Moonbox said:

Is anyone forced to celebrate Black History month, or even pay attention to it for that matter? 😑

You find yourself watching it and taking it in, not realizing it is a form of brainwashing.  They are trying to create a narrative that there is a problem that needs reconciliation and compensation for.  Much like the endless payments and deals with FNs.

On 2/19/2024 at 8:56 PM, taxme said:

Taxme, your one racist piece of shit...Just saying something everyone else was thinking....

On 2/26/2024 at 10:20 AM, Moonbox said:

First of ll, it is not designated as a celebration, just a month of recognition.

But....recognition of what?? That blacks were aided in coming to Canada during the slavery days in the US??

On 2/19/2024 at 5:56 PM, taxme said:

Don't you hate when your post criticizing Black History Month unintentionally underscores the need for Black History Month? 

Every month is white history month, hope that helps, snowflake!

Edited by Black Dog
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

First of ll, it is not designated as a celebration, just a month of recognition.

But....recognition of what?? That blacks were aided in coming to Canada during the slavery days in the US??

I don't know.  I don't care.  Like I said earlier, reading this dumb thread was the only reason I even knew it was black history month.  

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2024 at 6:50 PM, Army Guy said:

Taxme, your one racist piece of shit...Just saying something everyone else was thinking....

You never think. You are too emotional to be able to think, So just how am i being a racist pos here? Did i say something racist that bothered you? Pray tell me, will you, if you can? 

If you got my drift, i was just asking as to when will we ever see a day called White History Month? After all, it was the white folk that founded and settled North America, and not the blacks. So, just what have black people done to make Canada great? Just give me something instead of silly replies like this one? Go ahead, army boy, make your day. 😇

On 2/25/2024 at 4:08 PM, I am Groot said:

Because while progressives are in a minority in Canada they are in the majority in the media, as well as among our academics, senior union leaders, and an unfortunate number of political positions. And they think tokenism and paternalism toward black people shows their virtue.

The end.

I never heard of her. Is she supposed to be the new Rosa Parks in Canada now? I am just at a loss as to why pretty much every commercial has a black person in it when they are such a small minority in Canada. Even Asians outnumber them. And why not have more native Indians in commercials? And blacks get way too much attention and recognition in just about everything, like sports. I personally see something is wrong with this picture. Just my opinion of course. 😇

On 2/26/2024 at 7:14 AM, Nefarious Banana said:

Justin Trudeau would be the perfect choice for the $5.-  . . . . his face on one side, and his other face on the other side. One face black, the other white . . . truly 'woke'.

The $5.- note is realitivly worthless now with Justinflation . . .  and being relagated to 'toilet paper' status, will give the user of said note a certain satisfaction when being put to use.

The tough question for me will be as to which side of the $5 bill should i use to wipe my butt hole with? Any suggestions? LOL.

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2024 at 7:20 AM, Moonbox said:

Yes. We are pretty much being forced to put up with this chit all the time. I do not believe that any other race or of anyone else belonging to an ethnic group really gives a dam about Black History Month. Only white guilt-ridden and gullible people like to pretend that they care. As i have said already? The white folk founders of this country never get recognized for anything in Canada. We are just constantly being told that we have white privilage and are a bunch of racists. This racism nonsense needs to end because this does appear to be racism against an identifiable group like white people. I demand that there be a White History Month in Canada one day soon.

Just saying. 😇

Edited by taxme
  • Haha 1

On 2/27/2024 at 10:54 AM, Black Dog said:

Don't you hate when your post criticizing Black History Month unintentionally underscores the need for Black History Month? 

Every month is white history month, hope that helps, snowflake!

Nope. There really is no need to celebrate a Black History Month because they never did anything to be recognized as far as i know. Do you have something to show me here as to why we are celebrating BHM? Just asking. 

So, when was this month declared that every month in Canada is a White History Month? I just hope that what i have been saying here does woke you up, lefty. 😁 

On 2/27/2024 at 11:00 AM, Moonbox said:

I don't know.  I don't care.  Like I said earlier, reading this dumb thread was the only reason I even knew it was black history month.  

Maybe a dumb thread to you because it would appear as though you do not keep up with current affairs as to what is really going on in Canada these days. Christ, if you watch TV, you would see that we are being forced to listen too and cheer for Black History Month. I guess that you also have not heard that the Gay/lesbian community have their own pride month. I would have no problem with having a Black History Month if they would do the same thing in Canada and have a White History Month. You know, kind of balance things out a bit. 😇

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, August1991 said:

BD,

I disagree with your premise.

Depends where you live, or the situation.

Every left-handed person is born in a minority.

Do you think that we should have a left-handed day or month in Canada next? We seem to have so many other days or months of celebrating something or somebody in Canada these days. The only people that seems to be missing here are we white folk. We never seem to get recognized for what we have contributed to Canada to have helped to make this country great. Life can be so unfair at times. 😁