Google Caved and will pay $74 Million to News

I am so disappointed that Google kowtowed to the Feds and will now pay $74 million USD ($100 million CAD) to the Canadian news organizations.

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/google-to-pay-100m-a-year-to-canadian-news-publishers-in-deal-with-ottawa-1.6665893?cache=yes

https://apnews.com/article/google-news-canada-0c12334603bad9d150e6a7ade7002eb1

So, in addition to the what $650 to $750 million the feds give to the media , Google gives an extra $100 mill.

If the media is so bad it cannot even attract advertisers to itself, why should anyone pay, especially my taxes pay?

When I watch the local news, I get 15 to 20 minutes of local news, then Toronto news and then world news from American sources. My local newspapers have gone form 30 or more pages a day to, last week the biggest was 12 pages and a lot of it was from American or European sources. Bell and CTV have closed radio stations and fired hundreds of employees. Newspapers fired reporters.

The fed money and now Google money will not stop the media downsizing.

Google caved and they are wrong. Facebook announce they have not lost any subscribers or money since they stopped Canadian news links so hopefully they will not cave.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-metas-news-ban-fails-to-dent-facebook-usage/

Edited by ExFlyer
  • Like 1

Marxist-leaning politicians do it because they can.  Canada is becoming more interventionist and authoritarian every day.  What religion do you think Trudeau etc. are most connected with besides Karl Marx's religion.

Loraine Boettner warned about this in his book Roman Catholicism over sixty years ago.

Roman Catholicism : Loraine Boettner : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

One would think after a thousand years of tyrannical rule by Rome over the population until the Reformation around the 1500s, that people would wake up.  Apparently not.  We are going backward.

Edited by blackbird
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

If the media is so bad it cannot even attract advertisers to itself, why should anyone pay, especially my taxes pay?

The media per se isn't bad, it's mostly starving, because of changing technologies and the way people digest information. The public still needs news however so funding for public broadcasting should be increased to ensure  that happens.

If trust is the issue and people are afraid all they'd be getting is propaganda then pile on the transparency and accountability.

• Like 2

At the heart of this is the principle that the market doesn't always serve the public interest.  Pretty much everyone believes in government but what people want regulated changes from person to person.

Mulroney felt so strongly about protecting Canadian culture that foreign media ownership was disallowed under the Free Trade Agreement.

The CRTC blocked American ads for decades.

We only know about most Canadian pop music because of Canadian content requirements.

Etc. Etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

At the heart of this is the principle that the market doesn't always serve the public interest.  Pretty much everyone believes in government but what people want regulated changes from person to person.

Mulroney felt so strongly about protecting Canadian culture that foreign media ownership was disallowed under the Free Trade Agreement.

We only know about most Canadian pop music because of Canadian content requirements.

Etc. Etc.

Why should Canadians be subject to Marxist intervention and control of everything in society, what we read, what we see on television, what we are taught, what we hear on media?  We need to dump the politicians that promote and support interventionist, Marxist, control.

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, eyeball said:

The media per se isn't bad, it's mostly starving, because of changing technologies and the way people digest information. The public still needs news however so funding for public broadcasting should be increased to ensure  that happens.

If trust is the issue and people are afraid all they'd be getting is propaganda then pile on the transparency and accountability.

So you are OK with the billion and a half the CBC alone gets and the 750 million the others get and the 100 million google gives?

Pile on? On to who? Who audits the piling on?

8 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Etc. Etc.

But Michael, the "market" is the public and the interest is waning.

Isn't what the feds are doing by throwing money at media "Canadian content requirement"?

Bottom line, Facebook saw no Canadian usage drop when the stopped Canadian news and I am pretty sure no one at Google or in Canada noticed there was no Canadian news.

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

I am so disappointed that Google kowtowed to the Feds and will now pay $74 million USD ($100 million CAD) to the Canadian news organizations.

Not exactly caving. From the story you cite they were prepared to pay $100m, which is basically a rounding error for them, but balked at the government's $150m figure. So now they're paying $74, which is less than they had originally been prepared to pay.

5 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

1. But Michael, the "market" is the public and the interest is waning.

2. Isn't what the feds are doing by throwing money at media "Canadian content requirement"?

3. Bottom line, Facebook saw no Canadian usage drop when the stopped Canadian news and I am pretty sure no one at Google or in Canada noticed there was no Canadian news.

1. To rephrase: the market doesn't always know what is the best way.

2. Yes.

3. Ok.  I am happy with Social Media staying away from the News business.

22 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

So you are OK with the billion and a half the CBC alone gets and the 750 million the others get and the 100 million google gives?

I don't see why I shouldn't be okay. I don't know enough of the nuts and bolts to tell what it costs 

Pile on? On to who? Who audits the piling on?

I'd start at the deputy minister level on up to the PMO.  Full on public access to meetings, minutes, any and all that deal with things in the public's domain...a FOI Act that requires governments to make special requests to secretize information (sans encroaching on clear and obvious national security issues) rather than the other way around...no in-camera lobbying.  You should know by now what I mean by transparency.

The public audits everything and of course we'd also have a much better opportunity to address concerns that we're only being fed propaganda and fake news.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Not exactly caving. From the story you cite they were prepared to pay $100m, which is basically a rounding error for them, but balked at the government's $150m figure. So now they're paying $74, which is less than they had originally been prepared to pay.

Yes i tis caving.

They could very easily continued as they were and not pay and not carry any Canadian news as they had since August.

They decided to pay...or, cave

BY the way, the $100m is CAD which equated to $74 USD. The $150m was from Google and Meta combined.

25 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. To rephrase: the market doesn't always know what is the best way.

2. Yes.

3. Ok.  I am happy with Social Media staying away from the News business.

1. So, the people do not know what is best for them so, we let government tell us? LOL

3. I agree wholeheartedly. If you want news, go to the actual news media websites.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I don't see why I shouldn't be okay. I don't know enough of the nuts and bolts to tell what it costs 

I'd start at the deputy minister level on up to the PMO.  Full on public access to meetings, minutes, any and all that deal with things in the public's domain...a FOI Act that requires governments to make special requests to secretize information (sans encroaching on clear and obvious national security issues) rather than the other way around...no in-camera lobbying.  You should know by now what I mean by transparency.

The public audits everything and of course we'd also have a much better opportunity to address concerns that we're only being fed propaganda and fake news.

So, you support the news media being owned by government?? You cry now about false news, how much will the news media owe by getting hundreds of millions from the government??

We are talking about news media and you brought up transparency and accountability. The news media is not and will never be "transparent or accountable". It, by legal definition, can and will and does protect its sources, and will never ever be transparent.

You should know that LOL

What's Canadian news content...

Breaking News......"'Mary took a little lamb with a face as white as snow to the hockey game". "Don Cherry bad".

Don't forget to tune in to next weeks breaking news.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Legato said:

What's Canadian news content...

Breaking News......"'Mary took a little lamb with a face as white as snow to the hockey game". "Don Cherry bad".

Don't forget to tune in to next weeks breaking news.

Well, if it happened on your neighbourhood, it is Canadian news and content. LOL

20 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

So, you support the news media being owned by government?

No, I support the news media being owned by Canadians.

You cry now about false news, how much will the news media owe by getting hundreds of millions from the government??

Why would I need to cry about false news with the sort of transparency and accountability measures I mentioned?

We are talking about news media and you brought up transparency and accountability. The news media is not and will never be "transparent or accountable". It, by legal definition, can and will and does protect its sources, and will never ever be transparent.

You should know that LOL

The media will probably have to get used to a few changes too I suppose but I fail to see why that would include legal protection for reportage of malfeasance or dodgy behaviour, especially when investigating it in the private/secret domain of things like corporations, criminal groups or public/private organizations involved in criminality.  I'm specifically addressing the concerns that a public broadcaster = propaganda. 

Edited by eyeball
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, eyeball said:

No, I support the news media being owned by Canadians.

Why would I need to cry about false news with the sort of transparency and accountability measures I mentioned?

The media will probably have to get used to a few changes too I suppose but I fail to see why that would include legal protection for reportage of malfeasance or dodgy behaviour, especially when investigating it in the private/secret domain of things like corporations, criminal groups or public/private organizations involved in criminality.  I'm specifically addressing the concerns that a public broadcaster = propaganda. 

Do you not get it??

News media doe not have to give you any transparency or accountability information. Their sources are protected. The media has not or very rarely been convicted for "malfeasance or dodgy behaviour"

Propaganda is in the eye of the reader or political objector LOL

Media and News has never and will never be held accountable.

Oh and, there are no obligations to news media to get the money or to Google other than pay.

Edited by ExFlyer

31 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Do you not get it??

News media doe not have to give you any transparency or accountability information

I know FFS. And so what? Why do you even give a shit given the government treats you even more shabbily when it comes to transparency and accountability?

Meanwhile, you either don't get or don't care that the transparency and accountability measures I propose are as much as anything else intended to put us between the government and the media.

At the heart of this issue lies the fact that no one trusts our media anymore. 

A full 50% of Canadians are aware that nothing that comes out of CTV, CBC or Global can be believed. 

Among those who would still consider them somewhat legitimate news sources, they're not even the furthest left, so they lose a lot of the "desperate for drivel" crowd to sources like MSNBC and CNN. https://brioux.tv/blog/2021/01/22/in-canada-and-the-us-cnn-has-become-a-ratings-juggernaut/

They're just serving a small niche market now. 

Being a news outlet is a lot like being an 18-27 yr old girl these days. They feel like they need to be the sleaziest to attract the attention of suitable partners, when in reality, if they just valued dignity and self-respect they'd stand out above the crowd like Mt Fuji. 

Edited by WestCanMan
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/google-to-pay-100m-a-year-to-canadian-news-publishers-in-deal-with-ottawa-1.6665893?cache=yes

https://apnews.com/article/google-news-canada-0c12334603bad9d150e6a7ade7002eb1

So, in addition to the what $650 to $750 million the feds give to the media , Google gives an extra $100 mill.

When I watch the local news, I get 15 to 20 minutes of local news, then Toronto news and then world news from American sources. My local newspapers have gone form 30 or more pages a day to, last week the biggest was 12 pages and a lot of it was from American or European sources. Bell and CTV have closed radio stations and fired hundreds of employees. Newspapers fired reporters.

The fed money and now Google money will not stop the media downsizing.

Google caved and they are wrong. Facebook announce they have not lost any subscribers or money since they stopped Canadian news links so hopefully they will not cave.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-metas-news-ban-fails-to-dent-facebook-usage/

What news coverage exactly does Google or Facebook produce? How many reporters and journalists do they employ. 

Edited by Aristides

42 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I know FFS. And so what? Why do you even give a shit given the government treats you even more shabbily when it comes to transparency and accountability?

Meanwhile, you either don't get or don't care that the transparency and accountability measures I propose are as much as anything else intended to put us between the government and the media.

WTF are you babbling about.

The point is that we pay a lot of tax money for independent news and now Google pays as well..
You saying they, the media, needs to provide and accountability and transparency is BS. News never has to provide transparency or accountability, never, ever, to anyone.

Edited by ExFlyer

15 minutes ago, Aristides said:

What news coverage exactly does Google or Facebook produce? How many reporters and journalists do they employ. 

None, Facebook just allowed you, the user to link news and Google just had Canadian news on their news page.

That is what pisses me off. Our feds feel that because you or I link a news story on facebook, Meta has to pay.

Google, since August has not had Canadian news and did not suffer. That is why I said the kowtowed to the feds. It is BS in my opinion and Google should have told the feds to shove it.

7 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

None, Facebook just allowed you, the user to link news and Google just had Canadian news on their news page.

That is what pisses me off. Our feds feel that because you or I link a news story on facebook, Meta has to pay.

Google, since August has not had Canadian news and did not suffer. That is why I said the kowtowed to the feds. It is BS in my opinion and Google should have told the feds to shove it.

Someone has to produce that news for Google and Facebook otherwise there would be no news story to link. Everyone expects something for nothing these days, they go to bat for the people who freeload off producers instead of supporting those producers.