Google Caved and will pay $74 Million to News

39 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Someone has to produce that news for Google and Facebook otherwise there would be no news story to link. Everyone expects something for nothing these days, they go to bat for the people who freeload off producers instead of supporting those producers.

So.

Facebook is users posting links, not Meta.

Google stopped and it was fine without Canadian news, they just kowtowed to the feds, they did not have to and that was OK by me.,

No, you are wrong, nobody expects Google to be their personal news gatherer. If you want news, go to the news websites but wait, you didn't want to so amalgamaters did it for you. So, in that case, you should be paying a subscription fee...as some news media are now doing, hiding their content behind paywalls.

And in the end, the dreaded feds make a law that makes the taxpayers pay for the news.

15 minutes ago, eyeball said:

You're full of shit because that's not what I'm saying at all.

Oh stop, your ignorance is spilling all over the pages again LOL

Speaking. of the media your said "If trust is the issue and people are afraid all they'd be getting is propaganda then pile on the transparency and accountability. "

I asked "Pile on? On to who? Who audits the piling on? "

You said "'d start at the deputy minister level on up to the PMO" which has nothign to do witht he news n=mes=dia or Google or how muc the taxpayer an dgoogle pay to support the news media .

So really, it is you that is, and I quote you again, "full of shit"  LOL

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

So.

Facebook is users posting links, not Meta.

Google stopped and it was fine without Canadian news, they just kowtowed to the feds, they did not have to and that was OK by me.,

No, you are wrong, nobody expects Google to be their personal news gatherer. If you want news, go to the news websites but wait, you didn't want to so amalgamaters did it for you. So, in that case, you should be paying a subscription fee...as some news media are now doing, hiding their content behind paywalls.

And in the end, the dreaded feds make a law that makes the taxpayers pay for the news.

Except many don't, social media has become the major source of news for young people. Real media outlets need an income in order to provide the news sources social media outlets use for free. I suppose you think Napster was a great thing as well. After all they were just allowing people to share their music collections and the artists got nothing. I don't see any difference between Napster and social media outlets letting users post links to other peoples copyright.

5 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Except many don't, social media has become the major source of news for young people. Real media outlets need an income in order to provide the news sources social media outlets use for free. I suppose you think Napster was a great thing as well. After all they were just allowing people to share their music collections and the artists got nothing. I don't see any difference between Napster and social media outlets letting users post links to other peoples copyright.

Look, where you get your news is your choice. Social media was and is blamed for so much mis an dis information but , if that is OK with you and you do do not verify , well, that is your issue.

Napster?? LOL

My opinion is that taxpayers and social sites should not pay to keep news media in business. If they were reliable and unbiased, they would have an audience.

3 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Look, where you get your news is your choice. Social media was and is blamed for so much mis an dis information but , if that is OK with you and you do do not verify , well, that is your issue.

Napster?? LOL

My opinion is that taxpayers and social sites should not pay to keep news media in business. If they were reliable and unbiased, they would have an audience.

I don't use social media for news. So where would social media get its news if there were no news media, just make it up?

You surely can't believe the people who link sites on social media aren't biased. Seriously? 

Ya Napster, it wasn't doing anything Google and Meta aren't doing now.

Edited by Aristides

What a load of steaming horseshit spouted about.

You think Google gives a flying you know what about $100 million to settle/ I's not 2000 anymore, that's pocket change to them. And they're not the main offender. You just search with Google, and a little is unpaid use of Cdn content on YouTubes.
Meta's the one with the bulk of news links and in user posts buried among their pages of fraudulent and malware ads.

You think it's Marxist to protect Cdn culture and business revenues? Prefer a nice healthy tariff on all foreign based social media instead?
It's absurd to stand up for a foreign billionaire or corporation ahead of your own couintry's interests and more so when it affects you not at all.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

You said "'d start at the deputy minister level on up to the PMO" which has nothign to do witht he news n=mes=dia or Google or how muc the taxpayer an dgoogle pay to support the news media .

Of course the Deputy PM/PMO has a huge say in what the media covers.

During the SNC scandal, CBC/CTV/Global let Trudeau stick a fork in it by just saying "I should have recused myself from the obvious choice of selecting WE for that funding." Case closed. That was literally the last word on the subject in our MSM. By the time our next election came the MSM hadn't whispered the word WE for months. 

SNC was exactly 10,000 times as much money as Duffygate, which was headline news for 3 years when the next election rolled around: Trudeau was caught soliciting WE to host at least one event where his mom ended up speaking, WE was making propaganda videos for Trudeau, Trudeau's mom got half a million dollars from WE if you include her lavish expense account, his brother also got money from WE, and then Trudeau funded them with $900M taxpayer money. Can you imagine how much money Maggie stood to make over the next few years?

Morneau was turfed because his daughter made $30k/yr there for working full-time, but Trudeau's mom put in maybe 60 days total for $500,0000.00+, but Morneau had to go... ?

Bill Morneau is Canada's Kevin Clinesmith. 

Edited by WestCanMan

I asked "Pile on? On to who? Who audits the piling on? "

The government you silly dingbat.

You said "'d start at the deputy minister level on up to the PMO"

Precisely.

So really, it is you that is, and I quote you again, "full of shit"  LOL

No you're just... I really don't know wtf you are.

If you're simply resenting the pennies this will personally cost you in taxes just say so. Otherwise it's a complete mystery what had your ginch in such a twist. Are you an owner of google stock or something?

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

The government you silly dingbat.

Precisely.

No you're just... I really don't know wtf you are.

If you're simply resenting the pennies this will personally cost you in taxes just say so. Otherwise it's a complete mystery what had your ginch in such a twist. Are you an owner of google stock or something?

Listen a$$hole the topic is media, not government.

We all know your transparency in  government whining. Start your own thread and see if anyone gives a shit,.

my "ginch in such a twist." because you cannot stay on topic you jerk.

don't rsrpond,you are one track turkey.

Edited by ExFlyer

1 hour ago, WestCanMan said:

Of course the Deputy PM/PMO has a huge say in what the media covers.

You are such a loser, it actually scares me that you know how to type and are allowed out in public..

You actually think the government tell the media what to show and print...frack, how stupid can one person really be...oh wait, you demonstrate that every post. LOL

Listen a$$hole the topic is media, not government.

Listen up dirt-bag, the topic involves both, especially in this case.

We all know your transparency in  government whining. Start your own thread and see if anyone gives a shit,.

Up yours. Go start your own forum and moderate it for the issues only you give a shit about if you don't like it.

my "ginch in such a twist." because you cannot stay on topic you jerk.

You mean the topic of media and government? ?

don't rsrpond,you are one track turkey.

Good luck with that. I'll especially raise it when the OP has shown over and over how genuinely affronted they are at the prospect of holding the government to account.

Are you a politician or something? That would explain a lot.

Edited by eyeball

12 hours ago, eyeball said:

Listen up dirt-bag, the topic involves both, especially in this case.

Up yours. Go start your own forum and moderate it for the issues only you give a shit about if you don't like it.

You mean the topic of media and government? ?

Good luck with that. I'll especially raise it when the OP has shown over and over how genuinely affronted they are at the prospect of holding the government to account.

Are you a politician or something? That would explain a lot.

Just go away you petty little one track person.

On 12/3/2023 at 11:23 AM, ExFlyer said:

I am so disappointed that Google kowtowed to the Feds and will now pay $74 million USD ($100 million CAD) to the Canadian news organizations.

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/google-to-pay-100m-a-year-to-canadian-news-publishers-in-deal-with-ottawa-1.6665893?cache=yes

https://apnews.com/article/google-news-canada-0c12334603bad9d150e6a7ade7002eb1

So, in addition to the what $650 to $750 million the feds give to the media , Google gives an extra $100 mill.

If the media is so bad it cannot even attract advertisers to itself, why should anyone pay, especially my taxes pay?

When I watch the local news, I get 15 to 20 minutes of local news, then Toronto news and then world news from American sources. My local newspapers have gone form 30 or more pages a day to, last week the biggest was 12 pages and a lot of it was from American or European sources. Bell and CTV have closed radio stations and fired hundreds of employees. Newspapers fired reporters.

The fed money and now Google money will not stop the media downsizing.

Google caved and they are wrong. Facebook announce they have not lost any subscribers or money since they stopped Canadian news links so hopefully they will not cave.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-metas-news-ban-fails-to-dent-facebook-usage/

Simple. Google takes news outlet’s product for free and then sells it for profit to their advertisers. Do you really think that’s fair?

In any other aspect of life that is mot allowed.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BeaverFever said:

Simple. Google takes news outlet’s product for free and then sells it for profit to their advertisers. Do you really think that’s fair?

In any other aspect of life that is mot allowed.

So just to clarify - does that mean that every time a news outlet comes up on a google search they should have to pay google money? I mean they're getting that advert for free

17 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

So just to clarify - does that mean that every time a news outlet comes up on a google search they should have to pay google money? I mean they're getting that advert for free

Google makes money from that in many ways.  The google search page itself has ads and sponsored links and websites pay to have a higher ranking isn search results. Secondly, web search is a convenient way for google to put tracking and ad cookies on people’s computers which provide data to Google that they harvests and monetize. Third just about every page on just about every news site has ads powered by Google ads so Google is in fact profiting from those ads  plus those ads are also a source of more google cookies. 

On 12/3/2023 at 5:07 PM, herbie said:

What a load of steaming horseshit spouted about.

You think Google gives a flying you know what about $100 million to settle/ I's not 2000 anymore, that's pocket change to them. And they're not the main offender. You just search with Google, and a little is unpaid use of Cdn content on YouTubes.
Meta's the one with the bulk of news links and in user posts buried among their pages of fraudulent and malware ads.

You think it's Marxist to protect Cdn culture and business revenues? Prefer a nice healthy tariff on all foreign based social media instead?
It's absurd to stand up for a foreign billionaire or corporation ahead of your own couintry's interests and more so when it affects you not at all.

Somewhat contradictory?

Want government out of your life yet you want a tariff on foreign based social media. 

Google+ was a social network that was owned and operated by Google until it ceased operations in 2019. It no longer exists a s a social media platform.

Meta is social media and it's content is what you, the user posts. Facebook, Instagram, Threads, and WhatsApp, among other products and services.  Yes it makes money off advertising but, it is you that continues to post and use that social media platform.

What are my own country's interests when it comes to social media?  That my own country owns all news media? The fact we already pay more the $750 mill not including the billions to CBC means we already own the media.

10 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

Google makes money from that in many ways.

The news outlets make money when google links their stories. The people go to that website and the news outlet derives a benefit.

Sounds like you're being a bit of a hypocrite.  If google displays any of their content and makes money they bad must pay, if google directs people to the media outlet and the media outlet makes money (they all sell ads on their pages) then it should be free. 

On 12/3/2023 at 11:54 AM, eyeball said:

The media per se isn't bad, it's mostly starving, because of changing technologies and the way people digest information. The public still needs news however so funding for public broadcasting should be increased to ensure  that happens.

No, the media is that bad. And they have failed to adapt with the times. Giving them more money is no guarantee that they will attract more readers/viewers either.

20 minutes ago, ironstone said:

No, the media is that bad. And they have failed to adapt with the times. Giving them more money is no guarantee that they will attract more readers/viewers either.

I only want to fund a public broadcaster. I'm not interested in bailing out the private ones.

Just now, ExFlyer said:

Yet you,the taxpayer doles out over $750 mil to do that.

The people we pay taxes to do that.  There's little to nothing we can do about them - of course it doesn't help that people like you seem content with that.

And make Google pay too.

I'd raise them even higher just on general principles.