Canadian Judges increasing make governmental decisions

Yes, I have known this for years.  Many people regard them as kind of gods and think they know more than anyone else about everything.  In fact they are hand-picked by the sitting government which means they are mainly liberal judges, much like the Senate which is also appointed by the sitting government or through a process created by the PM.  The end result is liberal decisions by the SCC and the Senate.  There should be some kind of safeguard to limit the powers of the Supreme Court but there appears to be none.  They are more powerful than our elected Parliament.  How can anyone believe we live in a absolute democracy when the Supreme Court judges and the Senate are unelected.  Democracy is a very questionable term and how much of our government is democratic is really debatable.

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 1

The fact that unelected officials can overrule laws made by elected officials means that elected officials have no real power whatsoever.

And all our laws have to be approved as well by the British Monarchy.

We're a constitutional confederation, not a democracy.

• Like 1

One of the worst things to have repeatedly come out of the Supreme Court and other courts in Canada is soft-on-crime rulings.  A life sentence is no longer a life sentence.  The SCC likes shocking rulings using the phrase "cruel and unusual punishment" for serial murderers. 

One could be forgiven for believing the courts are soft on violent crime. It isn’t always so, but it frequently seems like it.

On Friday, the Supreme Court of Canada unanimously ruled that consecutive sentences for this country’s most violent killers was tantamount to “cruel and unusual” punishment and unconstitutional.  The 2011 Criminal Code provision brought in by then Prime Minister Stephen Harper allowed judges to impose parole ineligibility periods of 25 years to be served consecutively for each murder, rather than concurrently. Previously, anything after the first homicide was a freebie — unless the killer was tagged with a dangerous offender label.

No more.

Murder victim Laura Babcock is shown in a Toronto Police Service handout photo.Murder victim Laura Babcock is shown in a Toronto Police Service handout photo.

For Linda Babcock, whose 23-year-old daughter, Laura, was the victim of one of three murders, committed by rich kid killer Dellen Millard and his goofy sidekick Mark Smich it is another kick in the face.

“This means that every life does not matter,” Babcock told the Canadian Press through her tears.

“Our life has been destroyed by their crime. And yet the courts feel that it is cruel to have them in prison for life. Why do the victims have less rights than the criminals?”    unquote

HUNTER: Court clueless on 'cruel and unusual' in multiple murder ruling | Toronto Sun

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

The fact that unelected officials can overrule laws made by elected officials means that elected officials have no real power whatsoever.

And all our laws have to be approved as well by the British Monarchy.

We're a constitutional confederation, not a democracy.

You are in error. Britain has no say in Canadian laws. It is the King of Canada that must approve our laws. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

You are in error. Britain has no say in Canadian laws. It is the King of Canada that must approve our laws. 

It's obviously not an error.

It is the British Monarchy, which leads 14 realms of the Commonwealth, that has the last say about our laws.

22 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Actually, the Governor General has to approve the laws passed by Parliament and the Senate, not the King.  The King has nothing to do with it.  We have an Inuit old woman (an obvious liberal woke person) who has the power to approve or not approve of the laws believe it or not.  She was appointed by Trudeau based on liberal DEI (diversity, equity, inclusion) ideology.  Nothing wrong with old women, but this appointment was for the liberal agenda of reconciliation and wokeness.

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

Actually, the Governor General has to approve the laws passed by Parliament and the Senate, not the King.  The King has nothing to do with it.  We have an Inuit old woman who has the power to approve or not approve of the laws believe it or not.  She was appointed by Trudeau based on liberal DEI (diversity, equity, inclusion) ideology.

Who does the GG represent..? ?

• Like 1

I Know...I know... ?

She represents King Charles III, the King of Canada, a Canadian. We are no more ruled by the King of the UK than we are ruled by the King of New Zealand or the King of Australia. 

You should be familiar with the Statute of Westminster. That is why we celebrate Canada's independence day on Dec. 11th. (Well I do anyway.)

Edited by Queenmandy85

We make our own statutes, but in theory when a case comes up that isn't specifically covered by a statute, and there are no similar cases here from which to draw a precedent, our judges could be influenced set by precedents in other commonwealth countries. 

I dunno if that's really a thing, in practice. 

6 hours ago, blackbird said:

There should be some kind of safeguard to limit the powers of the Supreme Court but there appears to be none.  They are more powerful than our elected Parliament.  How can anyone believe we live in a absolute democracy when the Supreme Court judges and the Senate are unelected.  Democracy is a very questionable term and how much of our government is democratic is really debatable.

I could agree with you on our un-elected Senate, but how many in our elected Parliament are lawyers or know anything about constitutional law for example? Are you suggesting that our Supreme Court Justices be elected, or that Parliament should have the ability to override them? I don't really care for either choice as it would just create more problems. We do have a notwithstanding clause. Someone or some judicial 'body' has to have the final say, and in general I believe our 9 Justices on the Supreme Court have served us well.

Edited by suds

2 minutes ago, suds said:

how many in our elected Parliament are lawyers or know anything about constitutional law

Apparently about as many on the right side of the speaker as the few on this forum.

If most of us want to boil people in oil cuz they're left handed, so be it!  Why should some activist Judge stop us? What do Judges know about the law anyways? An activists are people who DO something! Why listen to them? Listen to those who sit on their fat arses whining like 18th Century Luddites with Internet access!

5 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

I'm sure this isn't what you're referring to but Section 52 of the Charter does give our Courts the power to overrule any part of any law that they believe violates Charter rights. So they are empowered in certain cases to overrule laws made by elected officials.

I read the OP link. There's something to think about for sure, however, it also says in that article, poorly written article, that Rowe himself voted to strike down the carbon tax as unconstitutional?

So what's good for the populist goose should be good for the elitist gander.

And I'm not sure why so many populists think the court wouldn't help them, as a leftist populist government could easily pass anti-religion laws wrre it not for constitutional supports and the supreme Court.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

And I'm not sure why so many populists think the court wouldn't help them, as a leftist populist government could easily pass anti-religion laws wrre it not for constitutional supports and the supreme Court.

Well that's just it. You can disagree/complain about the Supreme Court all you want, that is... until you need them. It's easy to judge others when not having to deal with all those nasty little unintended consequences that might spring up due to a poorly constructed decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

as a leftist populist government could easily pass anti-religion laws wrre it not for constitutional supports and the supreme Court.

You are ignoring the fact that the Supreme Court already supports anti-Christian laws such as abortion, same-sex marriage, medical assistance in dying, etc.  We know how they rule on almost any questionable issue.  

12 minutes ago, blackbird said:

You are ignoring the fact that the Supreme Court already supports anti-Christian laws such as abortion, same-sex marriage, medical assistance in dying, etc.  We know how they rule on almost any questionable issue.  

Just because they don't support all your religious pet projects, doesn't mean they wouldn't defend you if something really extreme came up.   

It's called nuance...

2 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I Know...I know... ?

She represents King Charles III, the King of Canada, a Canadian. We are no more ruled by the King of the UK than we are ruled by the King of New Zealand or the King of Australia. 

You should be familiar with the Statute of Westminster. That is why we celebrate Canada's independence day on Dec. 11th. (Well I do anyway.)

I'll put it in a different way.

Is King Charles III, the King of England? Is he a British Monarch?

If it were yes to both those rhetorical questions, what would it mean?

Let that sink in...

Edited by QuebecOverCanada

17 minutes ago, blackbird said:

It's simple really. I see it as having more rights and since we supposedly live in a free country I don't consider it to be a bad thing. However, while not supporting abortion as a personal choice I would not force my beliefs on others.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Just because they don't support all your religious pet projects, doesn't mean they wouldn't defend you if something really extreme came up.   

It's called nuance...

You know your pet project is to oppose Biblical Christianity by dismissing it as "religious pet projects".  You like to straddle the fence and pretend you are on both sides of the fence.  You know what happens to anyone who tries to run while straddling both sides of a fence.