Pierre Poilievre, “man of the people “ LOL

49 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I think he's the worst PM Canada has ever had...EVER.

Yes yes I know, you guys all say that means I voted for him anyway.

Yes, I love Trudeau and I'm a liar.

You people do disbelieve me right?

Ok - so who did you vote for in the last two elections?  I'm pretty sure everyone here is happy to say who they did - i voted conservative last two although I ALMOST didn't vote in the last one becuase o'toole pissed me off with his red tory platform, and three day backpedal on guns which just made him look weak.  

So - you're up, who DID you vote for last two elections?

8 minutes ago, eyeball said:

None of the above.

That's a vote for the status quo.  So you DID support trudeau then. You just did it passively.  Obviously you were just fine with him winning or you would have voted against him.

Sorry kiddo - you're not off the hook that easily.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

Said the only fish known to shoot himself in his own barrel.

Sure - that sentence made total sense.  If you're going to try to deflect from your own failures at least try not to look like a drooling !diot.

Mind you considering we just discovered you don't even know how the PM comes to power this shouldn't really be shocking.

You were happy to let justin stay in power, you regularly defend him and the liberals here.  People like you are why we're in the mess we're in now, and no amount of 'accountability' would improve that.

5 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

We should regard politics as ‘a real job’ and a bloody difficult one at that. Give me an over-prepared, well done politician over the barely seared variety any day of the week. 

Amen.

I see it like flying an aircraft. When stakes are that high, I want someone who can handle the worst case scenario with ice in their veins due to heavy experience.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

We should regard politics as ‘a real job’ and a bloody difficult one at that. Give me an over-prepared, well done politician over the barely seared variety any day of the week. 

That was John Tory.

A conservative.  In Toronto.  Who polled 70-80% during his term, because he clearly was focused on solutions, and took the job seriously.

As eyeball says, it's about accountability.  When politicians start to realize that we haven't forgotten that they're expected to do actual work, they'll stop stoking the culture wars and copying Trump to get ahead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

As eyeball says, it's about accountability.  When politicians start to realize that we haven't forgotten that they're expected to do actual work, they'll stop stoking the culture wars and copying Trump to get ahead.

That might be wishful thinking Mike.  As it stands now, the Trudeau Liberals do as they please without repercussion. Many examples of this.  Coupled with the 'yes' stamp from the Jagmeet Singh on virtually every issue whether it's good for the Canadian citizen or not . . . . the contempt that the Federal Govt. has for the Canadian citizen is palpable.

52 minutes ago, Aristides said:

So what is the solution? Why not say 100%?

How do you cut a person 100%?

Its just not kitchen lingo:

"I want those fries cut 100%"

You mean julienne?

"No. 100% or you're fired."

*purees them to be safe*

Even Michelin restaurants have to limit slices to 1/4, 1/8th or so.

Cutting homeless people in half isn't a solution. O_O

It doesn't make their life half better.

It's a bad sticker. 

I would ask the conservative what they meant, before attacking such a policy which shows they need better proofreaders.

I would fire that person. 

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

That was John Tory.

A conservative.  In Toronto.  Who polled 70-80% during his term, because he clearly was focused on solutions, and took the job seriously.

It's not about accountability in the sense you mean. Everybody KNEW justin trudeau broke important laws before his second term - and they gave him a second term.  They knew he tried to interfere in the justice system and was accused of sexually harassing a reporter previously as well as having broken a bunch of promises and overspent - and they gave him another gov't. 

If people won't do the right thing wiht the kind of information they had on trudeau then what good would more information do?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

Fix the homelessness problem, as well as the pollution problem regarding fertilizer at the same time. 

Sound policies for a happier country.

Aaaaaaand thats why I'm not in politics. 

I bet a surprising number of people would vote for this :)  You just need some good PR people.

Just now, Aristides said:

I keep asking but you won't answer. You say there is a solution, what is it?

I was responding in joke to the joke post. The poster put a conservative sticker that stated they would cut homeless people in half, vs half the homelessness rate.

If its a legit sticker, that would be easy pickings for ribbing. 

If you're seriously asking me how you fix homelessness, you can't.

There are far too many intangibles at play.

From people who legit don't want a job or to answer to anyone who happily live an itinerant lifestyle.

You only can help those who want help. For those that don't, you have to provide support systems, as they are still human.

Affordable housing, jobs or ways out from the cracks they have fallen into, again, will help those who want to change their lives.

I personally knew several homeless people. Currently know some, too. Covid pushed them over the edge. They had jobs, a family, prior to.

I had a couple close people to me who experienced serious trauma, from rape, to witnessing loved ones die and so on. So coped with drugs, and no amount of help could help them.

They needed to hit rock borrow hard, and find their way out. 

Anyone stating ending homelessness is easy or can be done throwing money at it, are full of it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pierre Poilievre, the class tourist who didn’t read the guidebook

XOIPW72RVBKKRBX3WKG6RTRY6Q.jpg

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre speaks at a news conference outside the West Block on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, on Aug. 1.Justin Tang/The Canadian Press

Near the end of July, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre paced a rally stage in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., showing off his summer makeover: no glasses, grey pants, a white henley shirt with the sleeves pushed up, but still with the expensive-looking shoes.

He was in full what-a-nice-young-man mode, cracking cheesy jokes that the crowd ate up, mocking Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and flexing about how everything would be better if he took the top job.

Mr. Poilievre had drawn a good crowd of about 400 and opened with a classic campaign-style anecdote. A local waitress ran over to give him a big hug that morning, he said, and she ordered him to “Get him out, get in there and fix this” – meaning the various ways in which Mr. Trudeau was laying waste to the country.

Story continues below advertisement

Later in his remarks, Mr. Poilievre returned to this waitress to make a point about the burden of taxes and benefits clawbacks.

”I don’t know her personal story, but let’s say that she has three kids,” he said. “And let’s say that she earns $60,000, 25 bucks an hour.” At this point, several people even in that extremely friendly audience made little strangled noises of surprise and confusion, the human equivalent of a record-scratch sound effect.

A waitress in a blue-collar Northern Ontario city pulling down a cool $60,000 a year? The median income of everyone in Sault Ste. Marie – including the lawyers, the doctors, the teachers and all the people who work in the service industry or manufacturing jobs like Algoma Steel – was $40,800 in 2020. The average annual income of people working in the food service industry across Canada was $21,175 last year.

Outtakes from a ‘kinder, gentler’ Pierre Poilievre’s efforts to flip the script

It would be as churlish to make a big thing out of a minor gaffe like that as it would be to point out that Mr. Poilievre began making $141,200 as a 25-year-old MP in 2004 and now makes $287,400, so perhaps his voter narratives are graded on a curve.

Or rather, it would be cheap to point out such discrepancies – if Mr. Poilievre didn’t keep saying out-of-touch or insulting things as he wages his chosen game of class warfare.

A week earlier, in trying to make a point about housing, he asked why it cost $550,000 in Niagara Falls to buy a “tiny little shack,” and even gave the address of this supposedly decrepit abode. As it turned out, a real person lived there and she found his remarks “a little embarrassing” for reasons we can all understand.

What’s more, her house was a perfectly lovely 1.5-storey postwar home that would not look at all odd or shack-like to many, many Canadians – especially the working-class people Mr. Poilievre keeps fetishizing. Sault Ste. Marie, which is where I grew up, is home to entire blocks lined with identical houses, and many in that crowd of political admirers would have left a house exactly like that to attend his rally.

Back in May at an airport, Mr. Poilievre recorded a selfie video that can only be described as deeply weird. “I just had a great weekend, meeting with the common people, listening to their common sense. I just want to remind everyone politics is supposed to be a blue-collar job. Check out these boots,” he said into the lens, before panning toward his blurry and apparently muddy feet.

“That’s what it’s like to be out with the people, in the rain, attending their festivals, listening to their stories, hearing their dreams.”

If I know anything about the working class, it’s that they constantly refer to themselves, in the manner of a particularly cringey museum exhibit, as “common people” who delight in primitive “festivals.” And they absolutely view dirty boots as something to preen about, like an especially successful Halloween costume.

But the bigger problem with Mr. Poilievre’s class tourism is this: He has grasped a real thing that is simmering just below a boil. Too many people feel like they can’t afford any sort of reasonable life or even pin the hopes of such a thing to their children. And many people – some included in the group above, some not – feel ignored, maligned and scolded by the current federal government.

But in seizing on those feelings without an evident shred of real empathy, perspective or authenticity, Mr. Poilievre seems to see them as smouldering embers of resentment to be fanned for his own purposes, rather than a set of real problems in need of solving.

My dad – Northern Ontario working-class smarts through and through – once told me: “Don’t trust anyone who doesn’t drink or swear.” That advice isn’t really about alcohol and cursing. What it means is that you should be careful around someone who refuses to let down their guard, who keeps their true self bottled up in the packaging they want you to see.

What it also means is that so-called common people are not idi0ts. They know very well when they’re being patronized – or when someone is pretending.

And they deserve something better than being patted on the head and treated like cardboard cut-outs by someone who claims to understand the very real stresses in their life.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-pierre-poilievre-the-class-tourist-who-didnt-read-the-guidebook/

Anthony Furey: Poilievre’s Popularity Keeps on Growing

Anthony Furey: Poilievre’s Popularity Keeps on Growing Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre arrives to a media conference in Toronto on July 20, 2023. (The Canadian Press/Cole Burston)
Anthony Furey
8/11/2023
Updated:
8/11/2023

Commentary
Things keep looking up for the federal Conservatives under leader Pierre Poilievre. Everything for now seems to be heading in the right direction for him to become the next prime minister.
A recent news feature in The Hill Times highlights the all-important numbers of polling and fundraising: "The Conservative Party has raked in roughly $9.5-million more than the governing Liberals so far in the first half of 2023, and combined with recent polling showing the Tories with a nearly 10-point lead, 'alarm bells should be going off at Liberal HQ,' says Abacus Data CEO David Coletto."
Coletto also says, “The Liberals can take literally nothing for granted.”
Poilievre is certainly carrying himself like a leader with the wind at his sails. He appears to have boundless energy as he travels across the country attending events with a schedule as full as that of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. Poilievre is clearly not afraid of putting in the hours and hard work of connecting with people all across the country.
When Poilievre ran for the leadership of the party, he enjoyed large crowds eager to come out and hear his message. But there were doubts as to whether he could sustain this momentum as Opposition leader, slogging it out in the many months between winning the leadership and contesting a general election.
It seems he’s had no problem, though. Poilievre continues to attract crowds across the country at his events.
People have taken note of his new look as well. He’s ditched the glasses and often wears fitted T-shirts that show off his physique.
What’s also warmed the hearts of many voters is the role Poilievre’s wife plays in his leadership. Anaida Poilievre is front and centre at many events—meeting with people, delivering enthusiastic speeches, and making it clear that she’s backing her husband’s political ambitions for all of the right reasons. The Poilievres, who have two young children at home, come across as a down-to-earth Canadian family who just want to make the country a better place.
All of this is in contrast to how things currently stand with Justin Trudeau. There is a natural shelf life to any politician in higher office, and Trudeau appears to have hit his one.
A good tenure for a Canadian prime minister is just under a decade. That was the amount of time Brian Mulroney and Stephen Harper were in office. When people stick around longer, they begin to go stale. It was only once Jean Chretien hit 10 years in office that insiders really started to grumble about pushing him out.
The Americans appear to have solved this problem by restricting their presidents to serving a maximum of eight years, which seems to be about the sweet spot for how long the public can go before they get sick of their leaders.
Trudeau has now been in office for eight years. He’s survived a number of scandals, but they continue to mount. The voters have so many more reasons to be frustrated with him today than they did when he first got into office and had no real record for them to complain about. An Aug. 8 approval poll by Morning Consult finds that Trudeau has an approval rating of 41 percent compared to a 53 percent disapproval rating—a net negative of 12 points.
Trudeau represents broken promises, while Poilievre represents hope for doing things better.
The question now is one of timing. It looks like if an election were held today, Poilieivre would certainly win. The popular 338Canada election watcher platform puts the odds of a Conservative victory at 90 percent. It also has them within striking distance of forming a majority government.
But there isn’t an election today and there won’t be one tomorrow. The rumour around the Ottawa bubble is that there will be one this fall, but such rumours have been wrong before. Besides, campaigns are strange things and a lot of reversals of fortune can happen in the course of a five-week run.
Whenever the election is, the question now becomes how long Poilievre can hold on to the momentum he currently enjoys. For now, he’s in a very strong position.

4 hours ago, CdnFox said:

There is a natural shelf life to any politician in higher office, and Trudeau appears to have hit his one.

Yep time for JT to step aside, everyone is tired of him, including his wife. It’s hard to imagine what LPC has to gain by keeping him on. He never had any substance anyway, he was never more than an empty spokesmodel that LPC  just used for image and PR but that currency is spent

Edited by BeaverFever
  • Like 1