Johnston quits

The Great and Wise Supreme Leader appoints his cute teddy-buddy for an appearance of independent investigation. The transparency incarnate, golden age of democracy. What more could you be looking for in a perfect democracy, honestly Joe? Oops.

Actually a good move, now that I see what the topic is about. I'm for finding out the truth, and this problem with Chinese interference sounds serious. I posted a link to a national post article the other day that shows how they use covert activities to undermine a stable society, this is paychological warfare, along with other more basic threats.

The Chinese cyber threat is "unparalleled" by any other national security challenge seen by the U.S. government, according to FBI Director Christopher Wray.

Chinese cyber threat 'unparalleled,' FBI director says

We need to know what Justin Trudeau is so afraid of. I suspect it will come out that China helped him win the election, by both undermining his opponents and by directly giving financial aid.

The latter point has already come out as proven, now we need to show the former. He is, imo the most un-Canadian PM ever, and a traitor to Canada.

Just sayin...

It is in itself a major rebuke of Trudeau, his leadership and his decision making. He appointed a person who was deemed untenable for the position. These are the people he puts before us. Major slap in pretty-boy's face. If there's one thing a pretty-boy hates, it's having their face slapped. Now let's make with some serious punches, and follow up with body-blows.

Politically I mean.   ;)

If he'd had any brains he never would have taken the job. Only an ivory tower twit would have failed to see the inherent conflict of interest in taking an appointment to investigate the suspicious doings of a country he loved (China) and the possible malfeasance of a PM who has been his friend and acquaintance for decades.

The question is "now what".

A public inquiry is the obvious answer - it would answer a lot of questions and it would tend to be the end of the discussion in most cases.  However - i think the last thing the liberal party wants to see is a lot of questions getting answered.

So what does justin do?  Even if there's embarrasing answers that come up - an inquiry will be over and forgotton long before the next election most likely. Jaggers obviously is still too scared to go to the polls now.  That would probably be the best route to go.

Otherwise he's got to go find someone who is squeaky clean with NO ties to him that are public knowledge and then try to convince people that this is still a good idea. And that makes it harder to 'control' what the guy says. Not impossible but still a pain.

12 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

If he'd had any brains he never would have taken the job. Only an ivory tower twit would have failed to see the inherent conflict of interest in taking an appointment to investigate the suspicious doings of a country he loved (China) and the possible malfeasance of a PM who has been his friend and acquaintance for decades.

Perhaps he consulted his bank account instead of his integrity before deciding.

In Canada we have a joke in place of a democratic system. A parody. A critical issue for national security. An guess what? No one can know the answers. No let's have another of those hush-hush buddies, lap ombudsomething you name it. Really, at which point it's obvious that a joke cannot work as a real, functional, robust system?

1 minute ago, PIK said:

It seems everyone that Trudeau touches gets burned.

Yeah - but unfortunately they also get rich. So they don't mind. I'm sure that the tiny bit of effort that Johnson put in netted him several hundred thousand.  And he's largely retired so the hit to his rep really doesn't cost much.

SNC lavalin is back doing gov't contracts and they made hundreds of millions from the crimes they committed with no real penalty.  WE made millions and millions - and htey probably are the ones who came off worse.  Aga Khan suffered no ill effects for his bribery. Even the chinese walked  away after buying 2 elections.

Appointing Johnson as a "special rappateur" just shows how unethical Trudeau is.

Johnston has known deep connections with China as do his children.  Yet he was supposed to be representing the interests of Canada in investigating the Chinese interference.  He was the last person on earth who should have been appointed to do that job.  The local dog catcher would have been a better choice.

Trudeau should really step down next.  I don't see how Canadians could possibly trust him to protect our democratic system which already appears badly compromised by Chinese interference.

How many other prominent Canadians or influential Canadians have deep roots in China?  That is something that should also be investigated and reported to Canadians.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, blackbird said:

Johnston has known deep connections with China as do his children.  Yet he was supposed to be representing the interests of Canada in investigating the Chinese interference.  He was the last person on earth who should have been appointed to do that job.  The local dog catcher would have been a better choice.

Well who cares, or could do anything? "Because we can".