Does Poilievre have an actual reason

Just now, herbie said:

Pierre Poilievre set to break a record as he speaks for hours in House to block budget

Or is he just following the handbook of his MAGA GOP role models that "Loyal Opposition" equals obstructionism?

You . . . "Loyal Liberal" . . . ?  

That's ok, Justin needs support.

In a sentence or two, what is it that you like about Justin and his minority Liberal govt.  ?

It's the black or white, for us or agin us mentality Contrarian talks about in his centrist threads.

Can address the question? Simply accuse the poster of your knee jerk assumptions without engaging brain.

FYI - I have never voted Liberal once. And in all the time I've been on this site, I've seen nothing but 'you must be a Trudeau lover' and zero other response to imbecilic criticism of everything Justin's done. Nor have I ever seen a reasoned alternative offered by the Tories. Pitiful.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, herbie said:

FYI - I have never voted Liberal once. And in all the time I've been on this site, I've seen nothing but 'you must be a Trudeau lover' and zero other response to imbecilic criticism of everything Justin's done. Nor have I ever seen a reasoned alternative offered by the Tories. Pitiful.

The sad part is that Justin is sufficiently incompetent that a smarmy sleezebag like Pierre Poilievre actually has a shot at winning.  Pathetic indeed.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

Trump was elected in the US for similar reasons. Shows how horrible Hillary Clinton was.

She was a bad candidate, but 8 years of built-up resentment came to a head after Obama.  I understand how/why Trump got elected, but I never understood how people could still support him after seeing him in action.  

1 hour ago, Moonbox said:

but I never understood how people could still support him after seeing him in action.  

Think of an abusive relationship.

You know its bad. Its wrong. They are no good for you, but they play the victim, gaslight and when all else fails, they lash out. 

Instead of the water works, the sorry I will never hit you again  because I love you too much to lose you...its the "witch hunt" the buying supporters pizza or stating they will be pardoned if jailed.

Its hard to explain unless you've been there, but he has that similar push and pull emotional manipulation thing going for him.

He builds loyal negative advocates, feeds them tons of gloom and doom, gaslights the living daylights out of them, to where they don't know the truth from the fake. On second thought, he labels the fake boldly so you know who it is.

He made sure of that. He made people doubt the news more than I have ever seen and even institutions like the FBI by discrediting them.

Sounds familiar?

Abusive partners isolate you by pulling you away from your support systems. "Your mother is trying to break us up".

The news play into this, as they are glutton for ratings, so they give him tons of air time.

He's just a toxic person, but I can understand why some cling to him.

He is that used car salesman telling you a car is immaculate, as you see the rear bumper hanging by a bolt and without missing a beat, hitting you with the: "oh, don't worry, we will buff that out"

Only that this car, is currently the US.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Moonbox said:

She was a bad candidate, but 8 years of built-up resentment came to a head after Obama.  I understand how/why Trump got elected, but I never understood how people could still support him after seeing him in action.  

Maybe you can explain it to me one day..

For what I can tell, they didn't like how she looked in a pant suit and the way she talked.

And so they picked the most obvious grifter in American history instead.

Edited by Michael Hardner
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, herbie said:

Or is he just following the handbook of his MAGA GOP role models that "Loyal Opposition" equals obstructionism?

Please, try and do a bit of research. The filibuster has been used hundreds of times by both parties in the US Senate. In reality, both parties want the filibuster and it's only when they're the majority party that they're against it. Proof? It would only require a simple majority vote to change the rules since it's not a constitutional issue.

45 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Maybe you can explain it to me one day..

For what I can tell, they didn't like how she looked in a pant suit and the way she talked.

And so they picked the most obvious drifter in American history instead.

Well, that's the view from the downtown condo towers of the urban university-educated worker, of course.

Things don't look so pristine for the working poor in the rust belt who lost their job when the factory moved to China, and when the politicians refer to them as the 'deplorables' in the 'flyover states' nobody cares about. Not to mention looking down their noses at them for not having degrees or sharing their woke values on social justice issues. Or wanting to cling to their jobs in the mines and oil fields when obviously climate change says they need to lose those and work at McDonalds instead. Not to mention also allowing in millions of illegals to do unskilled labor, which keeps the wages at rock bottom. Not to mention doing everything they can to discriminate in favor of minority groups and against THEM in everything from government grants and loans to hiring and promotion. Not to mention being soft on crime if the criminals are (as they usually are) darker skinned. 

There's a whole host of reasons why the ignored, despised blue collar types would vote for a loudmouthed rabble rouser like Trump over the sneering coastal elites of the Democratic party.

Which, come to think of it,  are the same reasons why blue collar workers in Canada would vote Conservative.

Edited by I am Groot
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, suds said:

Please, try and do a bit of research. The filibuster has been used hundreds of times by both parties in the US Senate. In reality, both parties want the filibuster and it's only when they're the majority party that they're against it. Proof? It would only require a simple majority vote to change the rules since it's not a constitutional issue.

The filibuster in the USA is nothing like Canada.  Not sure why the OP had to bring Trump/USofA into the discussion about Canada.   

1 hour ago, TreeBeard said:

The filibuster in the USA is nothing like Canada.  Not sure why the OP had to bring Trump/USofA into the discussion about Canada.   

Shows the leftwing fear of PP, when they use the Trump card.

5 hours ago, herbie said:

Pierre Poilievre set to break a record as he speaks for hours in House to block budget

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/poilievre-to-speak-for-hours-in-house-to-block-budget

And who had a filibuster last March? And what was Trudeau trying to hide? And why won't Trudeau answer, why he was fired as a teacher?

6 minutes ago, PIK said:

Shows the leftwing fear of PP, when they use the Trump card.

One poster on this forum is probably not representative of everyone, are they? 

plus, I’d be much more scared of PP if he was being compared to Mulroney or Harper.  Not even his supporters will give him that much credit!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, suds said:

Please, try and do a bit of research

Do a bit of reading yourself. The question was not 'if the filibuster is proper' it was 'does he have a logical reason to use it'.
If you can't answer the question, don't pretend the question was about something else and answer to that.

20 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

What is so unusual?

PP has always like to hear himself talk LOL

Seriously though, to what end? It will go through anyway.

It draws attention to it. Normally budgets just pass and no one gives it a second thought. This will draw at least some attention to the budget and highlight that the CPC is the only national party that's raising concerns about it.

That will also mean Jaggers has to wear his support of that budget a little more.

It doesn't do MUCH - but it doesn't cost much to do either. And sometimes symbolism really matters.

Now - did you have an intelligent reply or are you going to run away in terror with another version of yup ?

11 hours ago, herbie said:

Do a bit of reading yourself. The question was not 'if the filibuster is proper' it was 'does he have a logical reason to use it'.
If you can't answer the question, don't pretend the question was about something else and answer to that.

well he does have a logical reason of course and it should be pretty obvious even to you.

This is just more of "waaaaaaah!! my favourite, trudeau, is looking bad again and me angry!!!WAAAAAAAH"

The budget is a hot mess - this will keep that in the papers a little longer - and it gets some of that mud on the ndp.

14 hours ago, herbie said:

You asked 2 questions pal, and I responded to the latter. Somebody can't count.