Charest, Poilievre & Maxime Bernier

6 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

... more communitarian and less revolutionary ways were virtues, but I wonder if we’re just more compliant and less entrepreneurial in Canada.  Not to say we don’t have trailblazers, but…

Yes, absolutely.  I think we could build on our strength though, and improve on how we do certain things even if we produce fewer trail Blazers.

7 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Not fear and loathing. It is mild self-righteousness. Like most Canadians, I like Americans. I just prefer to be a Canadian. We are quite different from each other.

I like being both

American-Canadian

or when on the other side of the border, Canadian-American

I don't notice much difference, except Americans are friendlier

On 8/2/2022 at 10:27 AM, Zeitgeist said:

Canada can’t fend of the US militarily and it would be ridiculous and suicidal to suggest such a move today.  I put more faith in US Republicans to save Canadian democracy and culture than our current federal government.

That almost sounds wistful - like a desire to be invaded.

Thanks a lot.

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2022 at 10:49 AM, Nationalist said:

I disagree with this.

They are smart. The proof is that they continue to sell Canada out to the Chinese, yet continue to hold power in Canada.

So they are "smart".

They are not patriots.

Where were you when patriots were being called commies for questioning the wisdom of moving so much of our manufacturing to China?

Up until a few years ago it was usually splained to us that we had no choice because Canadians were unproductive lazy workers who expected to much. I always thought it was more stupid to enrich and strengthen our enemies by facilitating their growth.

Now what's the excuse for bringing it back, it was a stupid idea to move it there in the first place?

You must represent some sort of nouveau born again commie that can somehow retain a strong commitment to right wing ideals.

That's surreal.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, eyeball said:

That almost sounds wistful - like a desire to be invaded.

Thanks a lot.

I think Canada lost stature the first half of 2022.  Our own government sold out a huge segment of the Canadian population.  Our Charter rights have been downplayed or disregarded, so yeah, the US Bill of Rights has started looking pretty good to me.  When I see our full range of freedoms restored my perspective may change.  I actually think we need to add rights, including property.  Revisiting our rights is necessary.  Maybe Poilievre will do it.  

• Thanks 1

So, Pierre Poilievre was too frightened to show up to the debate tonight. It just goes to show he is all mouth and no guts. Not only is he promising to introduce censorship by shuting down media networks he doesn't like, and threatening to replace your savings and pension funds with worthless pseudo-currency, he has telegraphed his attitude towards the taxpayers of Canada by using $50,000 of other people's money to pay for his cowardice.

I feel bad for all those people who have already voted for him before he revealed his true colours. I also feel for those of you whose money he used to pay for his cowardice. 

Edited by Queenmandy85

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Where were you when patriots were being called commies for questioning the wisdom of moving so much of our manufacturing to China?

Up until a few years ago it was usually splained to us that we had no choice because Canadians were unproductive lazy workers who expected to much. I always thought it was more stupid to enrich and strengthen our enemies by facilitating their growth.

Now what's the excuse for bringing it back, it was a stupid idea to move it there in the first place?

You must represent some sort of nouveau born again commie that can somehow retain a strong commitment to right wing ideals.

That's surreal.

No...I became a conservative and a nationalist BECAUSE I recognized what was happening 20 some-odd years ago.

Your assumption is crap.

3 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

So, Pierre Poilievre was too frightened to show up to the debate tonight. It just goes to show he is all mouth and no guts. Not only is he promising to introduce censorship by shuting down media networks he doesn't like, and threatening to replace your savings and pension funds with worthless pseudo-currency, he has telegraphed his attitude towards the taxpayers of Canada by using $50,000 of other people's money to pay for his cowardice.

I feel bad for all those people who have already voted for him before he revealed his true colours. I also feel for those of you whose money he used to pay for his cowardice.

You sound frightened.  Does change scare you?  Happy with the status quo?  Fear affecting your thought process.

Hide under the bed.

31 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

You sound frightened.  Does change scare you?  Happy with the status quo?  Fear affecting your thought process.

Hide under the bed.

He is an embarrassment to the CPC. Why is he so frightened to debate Mr. Charest? You clearly don't support him enough to donate money or you should be livid at his use of other peoples' money to pay for his cowardice. Is this how he will deal with the grits?

He reminds me of that fight outside a bar. You always get the guy who stands there yelling at the other guy " You better watch it, dude." over and over. The dude calmly steps up to clock him and the loudmouth runs like a rabbit.

Nice hair, though.

2 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

He reminds me of that fight outside a bar. You always get the guy who stands there yelling at the other guy " You better watch it, dude." over and over. The dude calmly steps up to clock him and the loudmouth runs like a rabbit.

Watched the last of PP's citizen meeting . . . . 'defund the CBC, save a billion dollars'   No more "Writers & Company' with hostess Eleanor Wachtel.  Best show on CBC.

Queenie . . . don't make assumptions about who/what I contribute to.  

2 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Honour perhaps. Showing up for work. The least he could do is pay the fine with his own money. He is suddenly making Prime Minister Trudeau look almost ethical. 

you don't force the play when you are leading

when you are leading, you go 1-3-1 forecheck, otherwise known in hockey as The Trap

Edited by Dougie93

1 minute ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Watched the last of PP's citizen meeting . . . . 'defund the CBC, save a billion dollars'   No more "Writers & Company' with hostess Eleanor Wachtel.  Best show on CBC.

Queenie . . . don't make assumptions about who/what I contribute to.  

No, the best shows on CBC are Quirks and Quarks, the National /At Issue, Coronation Street, The House, Power and Politics, the Nature of Things, Ideas, As It Happens, Under the Influence, and Sunday Magazine. CBC, a Conservative government creation by the way, provides programing unavailable anywhere else. You may not listen to "Writers and Company," but many others do. Remember what happened to Prime Minister Mulroney when he pre-empted 20 minutes of Coronation Street. The CBC is a public service. It is refreshing to listen to the radio without commercials. As for news, when half the country calls it right wing and the other half calls it left wing, it is hitting the mark.

If Mr. Poillievre tries to kill the CBC because he doesn't like the things he percieves they are saying about him, that is censorship. The CBC belongs to us, We The People, not the government.

1 hour ago, Queenmandy85 said:

How is removing taxpayer subsidies from a TV network censorship?  Get real.  Other networks don’t get this advantage.  The CBC has become a government mouthpiece operating on outdated CanCon ideas.  Canadians are well represented in the arts both nationally and internationally.  I’m sure the stronger programming can survive without subsidies, including the political commentary   

I saw Poilievre speak in spring.  He blew the competition out of the water.  Lewis was pretty powerful too.  Charest cited past successes from a different world but was articulate enough.  Baber and the Huntsville guy were also good.  Brown spent most of his time complimenting everyone else but it felt milquetoast.  Poilievre probably feels that he has been amply present and said enough.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

12 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

No, the best shows on CBC are Quirks and Quarks, the National /At Issue, Coronation Street, The House, Power and Politics, the Nature of Things, Ideas, As It Happens, Under the Influence, and Sunday Magazine. CBC, a Conservative government creation by the way, provides programing unavailable anywhere else. You may not listen to "Writers and Company," but many others do. Remember what happened to Prime Minister Mulroney when he pre-empted 20 minutes of Coronation Street. The CBC is a public service. It is refreshing to listen to the radio without commercials. As for news, when half the country calls it right wing and the other half calls it left wing, it is hitting the mark.

If Mr. Poillievre tries to kill the CBC because he doesn't like the things he percieves they are saying about him, that is censorship. The CBC belongs to us, We The People, not the government.

They serve who shows them the money. And that is the Liberal party of Canada. Plain and simple. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PIK said:

They serve who shows them the money. And that is the Liberal party of Canada. Plain and simple. 

No, they serve the people. They receive their funding from commercial sponsors for the TV network and the taxpayers for both the TV and radio.

How is Quirks and Quarks serving the Liberals? Or Coronation Street, Ideas and the Nature of Things? The political shows such as Power and Politics and At Issue bring together a multi-partisan panel and their discussions are respectful to each other.

58 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

How is removing taxpayer subsidies from a TV network censorship?  Get real.  Other networks don’t get this advantage.

But why remove it? The CBC is a public service, brought in by the Conservative government. Most democratic countries have a public broadcaster. You have the BBC, NRK in Norway, France Televisions and Radio France, PBS /NPR in the US, ARD in Germany, SR / SVT in Sweden, ABC in Australia, and NRZ in New Zealand among most other countries. Every public broadcaster receives government funding. 

3 hours ago, Nationalist said:

No...I became a conservative and a nationalist BECAUSE I recognized what was happening 20 some-odd years ago.

Your assumption is crap.

Okay, then I can stop basing the assumptions about my commie leanings on that I guess. Good to know, thanks!

Jeez not only don't understand politics, don't understand economics or capital;ism either!
Here's someone saying they trust US Republicans to save Canadian democracy when they're subverting their own to the utmost.
Another who seems to think using tax dollars for social programs is bad. No wonder they like Americans, should we spend it on aircraft carriers instead?
Yet another who thinks 'corporate taxes' should mean the revenue the gov't takes off their worker's wages rather than their profits.

You pay the bulk of taxes, you choose the gov't that gives as much back to you as it can. the gov't makes the rules and business operates by the rules they make. Not the other way where business tells the gov't what to do and the gov't tells you what to do, which is what these same so called freedumb lovers seem to really want.

• Haha 1

I think it is time for me to start re-evaluating my position in regard to Mr. Poillievre. I have always maintained he is a politician of integrity regardless of my perseption of what I see as his shortcomings. This is just politics and my barbs this evening were over the line. I should have followed the rule that personal attacks on anyone willing to make the sacrifices that come with public service deserves respect, regardless of party or platform. 

I wish Mr. Charest wins, but people smarter than me say I will be disappointed. 

Edited by Queenmandy85