Canada Must Exit Climate Agreement Immediately

How do you even talk to people who insist a $1.00/L increase is because of the 2c/L carbon tax increase?

Or that when you stake 100% of your oil & gas on Russia  and the shut it off SNAP! it proves that the 40% remaining renewable supply already there is a total failure?

Like for FFS use your brain and see what's right there in front of your face.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

the gas is expensive, because we don't refine our own oil

We do, but in the Lower Mainland there's only 1 left. For once I agree with you as I grew up in Burnaby when every other kid had a parent directly involved with a refinery.

The homeowners whined that they didn't like the stinky smelly sometimes, and simple economics meant it was cheaper to shut them down, bring gasoiine down the pipe instead of oil and use refinery stuff from Washington State.

And we DID own a goodly chunk of oil production, refining and sales but as it benefited everyone it was communism and had to be privatized, as shareholders are far more important than citizens. At the same time we had a province that screamed for world price for its oil so they got just that, followed by Free Trade making it illegal to sell it to ourselves cheaper than anyone else.

Now it's too late to go back, so we're reaping all those benefits. Enjoy.

23 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Partly but also pretty clear that humans are driving the current warming.

2. Carbon Markets and such are market based solutions.  GHW Bush implemented a similar system for CFCs I think, and it succeeded.

We don’t destroy the economy or add to the cost of living in a time of high inflation over “pretty clear”.

CFC’s were banned but there were alternatives and fossil fuels are still necessary.  Carbon taxing fossil fuels has a multiplier effect on everything that gets transported and manufactured.  It’s stupid.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

It’s stupid.  

but it is all to the good

because it will backfire exponentially

thus bringing the entire regime into disrepute with the masses

the elites are fatuous morons

they are bringing themselves down therein

rejoice at the coming of the counterrevolution, these fools are a gift

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

1. We don’t destroy the economy

2. or add to the cost of living in a time of high inflation over “pretty clear”.

3. CFC’s were banned but there were alternatives and fossil fuels are still necessary.  

4. Carbon taxing fossil fuels has a multiplier effect on everything that gets transported and manufactured.  It’s stupid.  

1.  Hyperbole.
2. I would be ok with pausing the tax over a short period.
3. Which is why they are being phased out and not outlawed.  The point is that there are approaches to reduction.
4. Ok but also not behind all of our current problems. We added a Carbon Tax during good times and the results on the economy were negligible.

22 hours ago, herbie said:

How do you even talk to people who insist a $1.00/L increase is because of the 2c/L carbon tax increase?

Or that when you stake 100% of your oil & gas on Russia  and the shut it off SNAP! it proves that the 40% remaining renewable supply already there is a total failure?

Like for FFS use your brain and see what's right there in front of your face.

Do yourself a favor and don't invest in commodities. When governments begin doing the things they've been doing...investments begin to dry up. That drives up prices.

12 hours ago, herbie said:

We do, but in the Lower Mainland there's only 1 left. For once I agree with you as I grew up in Burnaby when every other kid had a parent directly involved with a refinery.

The homeowners whined that they didn't like the stinky smelly sometimes, and simple economics meant it was cheaper to shut them down, bring gasoiine down the pipe instead of oil and use refinery stuff from Washington State.

And we DID own a goodly chunk of oil production, refining and sales but as it benefited everyone it was communism and had to be privatized, as shareholders are far more important than citizens. At the same time we had a province that screamed for world price for its oil so they got just that, followed by Free Trade making it illegal to sell it to ourselves cheaper than anyone else.

Now it's too late to go back, so we're reaping all those benefits. Enjoy.

This happens to be true. Petro Canada was trashed and now all we have is gas stations.

9 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

but it is all to the good

because it will backfire exponentially

thus bringing the entire regime into disrepute with the masses

the elites are fatuous morons

they are bringing themselves down therein

rejoice at the coming of the counterrevolution, these fools are a gift

And this will hopefully be true.

3 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

And this will hopefully be true.

there is no escaping the inflation to debt trap

the working & middle classes will burn in a fire of inflation

or freeze by interest rates driven through the roof

either way, the current elitist Green regime is going to be overthrown in a fury

Edited by Dougie93

5 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

there is no escaping the inflation to debt trap

the working & middle classes will burn in a fire of inflation

or freeze by interest rates driven through the roof

either way, the current elitist Green regime is going to be overthrown in a fury

We will see. Right now these greenie-types are winning. If one can call rolling brown-outs and no heat next winter...winning. 

They've actually convinced most people that "we all gonna die". Irrational fear has too many people in its grip. These twits will starve and wear it like a fucking badge!

"It'th for the planet."

Destructive morons...

5 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

We will see. Right now these greenie-types are winning. If one can call rolling brown-outs and no heat next winter...winning. 

They've actually convinced most people that "we all gonna die". Irrational fear has too many people in its grip. These twits will starve and wear it like a fucking badge!

"It'th for the planet."

Destructive morons...

I'm not worried about it

the math is clear, this regime is totally unsustainable

1 minute ago, Nationalist said:

Our current standards are unsustainable under these conditions. 

like I say, I don't worry about it

happy warriors

no fears on earth

next up, ferocious right wing populist counterrevolution against the leftist elites

good times, kick back and enjoy it

let's jig y'all

yeehaw

• Like 1

Address any issue the ancient old fart attitude extends to it. As does the Trumpist/populist/alt-right rhetoric and Can'tservative attitude toward any change at all.

Progress = BAD (really means) I can't/won't accept the slightest change at all

The Elite (really means) anyone who graduated high school or makes more than me

Mainstream Media (really means) any media that has a paid Editor that checks facts and sources and hires accredited (see Elite) reporters

Inflation (really means) the Big Mac you're eating between puffs of your $20 dollar pack cigarette went up a dime you might have to pass on a smoke every week. Or walk to the corner store to buy them instead of taking the F350 4x4 w duallies

Left (really means) anything I don't like

Freedom (really means) from minor inconvenience or consequences of my choices as long as that other guy doesn't get any say

Green = Bad (really means) if I still knew how to do an oil change and could dump the old oil in the alley, toss the tires in the gully and catch a trailer load of cod to fertilize the garden cuz they're too bony and there's not that much meat anyways.

Edited by herbie
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, herbie said:

Posting Bobby Horton the racist pig as a response? Says it all doesn't it?

well, I am a Republican abolitionist

but the Confederate's surrendered at Appomattox Court House

Marse Robert issued General Order Number 9 to lay down arms

and they were welcomed back into the Union therein

f*ck Canadians if they don't like it

mind you, during & after the war

Canada sided with the Confederates and gave them sanctuary at the time

yeehaw

Edited by Dougie93

35 minutes ago, herbie said:

Address any issue the ancient old fart attitude extends to it. As does the Trumpist/populist/alt-right rhetoric and Can'tservative attitude toward any change at all.

Progress = BAD (really means) I can't/won't accept the slightest change at all

The Elite (really means) anyone who graduated high school or makes more than me

Mainstream Media (really means) any media that has a paid Editor that checks facts and sources and hires accredited (see Elite) reporters

Inflation (really means) the Big Mac you're eating between puffs of your $20 dollar pack cigarette went up a dime you might have to pass on a smoke every week. Or walk to the corner store to buy them instead of taking the F350 4x4 w duallies

Left (really means) anything I don't like

Freedom (really means) from minor inconvenience or consequences of my choices as long as that other guy doesn't get any say

Green = Bad (really means) if I still knew how to do an oil change and could dump the old oil in the alley, toss the tires in the gully and catch a trailer load of cod to fertilize the garden cuz they're too bony and there's not that much meat anyways.

You’re making the big elitist mistake that will bury you: thinking that the hardships of inflation and taxation are no big deal simply because you can afford them while millions of others cannot and are suffering.  I’ll just watch your whole political faction collapse in the coming deluge of public revolt.  Go ahead and call them uneducated, unsophisticated losers.  You’re just amping up the public anger.  It’s another iteration of, “Let them eat cake.”

Yes, you seem to admire everything about the Glorious Old South. I apologize for saying you'd like us all to go back to 1953. It's 1853... I stand corrected.

Sorry I have to go visit my VietNam deserter buddy and make sure he took the free meds for his cancer treatment. It might say "Paid for by Dougie93's personal tax dollars" on the label.

15 hours ago, herbie said:

Yes, you seem to admire everything about the Glorious Old South. I apologize for saying you'd like us all to go back to 1953. It's 1853... I stand corrected.

Sorry I have to go visit my VietNam deserter buddy and make sure he took the free meds for his cancer treatment. It might say "Paid for by Dougie93's personal tax dollars" on the label.

I don't admire the Democrat Party Plantation Aristocracy

but I admire the fighting spirit of Johnny Reb who was fighting for hearth & home

we are all Americans, Southron's are dear to me of course

in terms of your Viet Nam deserter buddy, if I paid for his cancer treatment in any way, happy to do so

Edited by Dougie93

No, I'll take the side of my old foreman who did 2 1/2 tours on the riverboats then deserted bringing his best friend home to bury in Newfoundland. And the client who did a tour loaned to the US army trying to save his pension up to get a motorized wheelchair.

Or even my son who served in uniform slinging burgers at Wendys and not bitching about his taxes. None of whom think they're "speshull"

11 hours ago, herbie said:

Or even my son who served in uniform slinging burgers at Wendys and not bitching about his taxes. None of whom think they're "speshull"

well I served in the military, but I didn't think of myself as special

because at the time most Canadians had your attitude about it

civilians would see me in uniform, and they would see me as the government, so they were hostile

when I served in the military, we were more like outcasts, strangers in our own land

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2022 at 1:02 AM, marcus said:

We have other sources of energy that can, one day, fully replace oil and coal. It's already happening, but it can be done faster.

Why are you so afraid of adaptation and progress in order to improve how we live?

Why can't Canada become a leader in using renewables? Why is it so difficult to accept that renewables can also create jobs and economic incentives. 

Side note: Atomic energy needs to be looked at more seriously. 

Right now there is not a proven reliable source of energy that will replace fossil fuels, in the time frame we have agreed to sign on to a global treaty. The first big date is 2030. 

My fear is we are going to suffer to make these goals and all will be for nothing.

Because we are not doing very much to reach that goal, How much funding is the federal or provincial government given for this quest, This climate emergency? compared to what we spent on covid, it would seem we as a nation are really only doing the bare minimum.

ATOMIC energy is not the answer, for a couple of reasons, time needed to construct is well beyond our climate change timetable, The same environmental groups that are leading this climate change charge do not like Nuclear energy either. They are also very expensive, even the new small reactors are expensive and take years to complete. And with EVs going to make a huge coming out in 2025, 26 what are we going to use to accommodate these new power draws.

8 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

My fear is we are going to suffer to make these goals and all will be for nothing.

events will derail the whole program long before it gets there

we are entering a global financial & economic crisis of historic proportions

it's well beyond Canada's control, Canada is just a passenger

$200 trillion in global debt for only $50 trillion in growth

that is going to bring the roof down upon us

nobody will be talking about the Environment when we are in another Great Depression

• Thanks 1