Russia's war crimes in Ukraine.

1 hour ago, August1991 said:

Army Guy, I disagree.

1) I reckon that Putin will accept a negotiated settlement when it is recognised that Crimea and so-called Eastern Ukraine are part of Russia.

2) I reckon that Zelenskiyy will accept a negotiated settlement when western Ukrainians stop volunteering. 

why do you think that's all Putin wants?

even if it was, why would Ukraine accept that?

On 6/14/2022 at 8:36 AM, SpankyMcFarland said:

The mere existence of a free Ukraine is intolerable to Putin and poses the obvious question to his oppressed citizenry; if East Slavs have chosen rule of law and freedom next door, why not in Russia too? 

And you know this because...?

On 6/11/2022 at 3:44 AM, Yzermandius19 said:

why do you think that's all Putin wants?

even if it was, why would Ukraine accept that?

You ask two questions:

1. To coin a term, Putin is an incrementalist.

He's like Catherine the Great.

====

2. Ukraine? Rather, why would Zelenskiyy accept that...

Churchill once described India as a country in the same sense that the equator is a country. 

Google: Churchill India country

Edited by August1991

4 hours ago, August1991 said:

You ask two questions:

1. To coin a term, Putin is an incrementalist.

He's like Catherine the Great.

====

2. Ukraine? Rather, why would Zelenskiyy accept that...

Churchill once described India as a country in the same sense that the equator is a country. 

Google: Churchill India country

Putin is a revanchist

he wants Russia restored to it's Soviet borders plus Soviet buffers

that includes all of the Ukraine and a lot more

Zelensky won't accept that and neither will a lot of other leaders in Europe

Putin is not going to stop with nibbling off a little more of Ukraine

he has many more gaps in Russia's defenses that need to be filled

Edited by Yzermandius19

2 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Putin is a revanchist

he wants Russia restored to it's Soviet borders plus Soviet buffers

that includes all of the Ukraine and a lot more

The 19th century term is irredentist.

Trudeau Snr wisely referred to it as making the West Island the Danzig of the New World.

====

In Quebec, we don't have front license plates. I recently saw a car in Montreal with a front plate combining yellow/blue and red/white leaf.

Like Montreal, Lemberg was once a city where unilingual people of different languages lived together. 

Now, Lemberg is Lvov. Or rather, Lviv. Its buildings a reminder of the people who once lived there. 

9 hours ago, August1991 said:

The 19th century term is irredentist.

Trudeau Snr wisely referred to it as making the West Island the Danzig of the New World.

====

In Quebec, we don't have front license plates. I recently saw a car in Montreal with a front plate combining yellow/blue and red/white leaf.

Like Montreal, Lemberg was once a city where unilingual people of different languages lived together. 

Now, Lemberg is Lvov. Or rather, Lviv. Its buildings a reminder of the people who once lived there. 

only way to restore what was lost is by war

against countries who combined have twice the population of Russia itself

that's revanchism over 9000

and you try and justify it

by pining for and applauding the Austrian-Hungarian Empire and Pierre Trudeau

to make Putin seem reasonable

pathetic

Edited by Yzermandius19

6 hours ago, August1991 said:

I disagree.

In this 21st century, Montreal (and Bombay etc) are proof that cities of various unilingual people - like Lemberg once was - can thrive and live together in peace.

the other countries don't want to join Russia

you are the one who wants them to

they will not do so willingly

therefore the only way it can happen is if it is done unwillingly

by war

you are supporting Russian imperialism against the will of a population twice the size of Russia

this will not result in peace and thriving

it's not in Eastern Europe's interest to turn over the keys to Russia

knock off the gaslighting

Edited by Yzermandius19

On 6/20/2022 at 8:46 AM, Yzermandius19 said:

you are supporting Russian imperialism against the will of a population twice the size of Russia

I am not supporting Russian imperialism.

I am trying to understand life as I know it.

====

In 1900 or so, the Austrian-Hungarian world was wonderful. I have been to many of its cities (now in so-called Ukraine, Slovakia, Galicia, Romania, Poland... )

Billy Wilder was a product.

2 hours ago, August1991 said:

I am not supporting Russian imperialism.

I am trying to understand life as I know it.

====

In 1900 or so, the Austrian-Hungarian world was wonderful. I have been to many of its cities (now in so-called Ukraine, Slovakia, Galicia, Romania, Poland... )

Billy Wilder was a product.

Austria-Hungary world was not wonderful just because it included some nice places you visited

it was a decrepit empire that fell for good reason and had never been restored for good reason

you simply have nosyalgia for an Austria-Hungary that never was

what's next you gonna start pining for the Ottoman Empire?

If you're not supporting Russian imperialism

then why the constant laments for the fall of imperialism in Austria-Hungary whenever someone criticizes Russian imperialism?

why do you keep comparing Russia to Austria-Hungary in the face of any criticism of their wars of aggression?

Edited by Yzermandius19

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 4:40 AM, Yzermandius19 said:

Austria-Hungary world was not wonderful just because it included some nice places you visited

it was a decrepit empire that fell for good reason and had never been restored for good reason

you simply have nosyalgia for an Austria-Hungary that never was.

Yzermandius, I disagree on so many levels:

-if we are to live on this planet peacefully, we must find a way to live as the various people in the Austrian-Hungarian Empire did

-Woodrow Wilson destroyed any hope of Central European peace - while accepting racism within America

Edited by August1991

And as long as you're explaining things, August, can you do this one of yours:

"Woodrow Wilson destroyed any hope of Central European peace - while accepting racism within America"

I don't have a problem with it in principal. For me, the first Progressive president, Woodrow Wilson was a dick among dicks - probably the 3rd worse president in American history behind  progressive Carter and Prog puppet Biden. I've just never heard that one about him destroying any hope of Central European peace. How'd he do that? He didn't start the first world war.

I have heard the one about him being a raging racist though.

Edited by Infidel Dog

29 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

And as long as you're explaining things, August, can you do this one of yours:

"Woodrow Wilson destroyed any hope of Central European peace - while accepting racism within America"

I don't have a problem with it in principal. For me, the first Progressive president, Woodrow Wilson was a dick among dicks - probably the 3rd worse president in American history behind  progressive Carter and Prog puppet Biden. I've just never heard that one about him destroying any hope of Central European peace. How'd he do that? He didn't start the first world war.

I have heard the one about him being a raging racist though.

he's just mad Woodrow Wilson pushed the break up of his beloved Austro-Hungarian Empire

On 7/2/2022 at 4:21 PM, Yzermandius19 said:

he's just mad Woodrow Wilson pushed the break up of his beloved Austro-Hungarian Empire

Here's another: Woodrow Wilson created the US Federal Reserve system.

As Alexander Hamilton, I happen to prefer a US federal central bank. Indeed, I think that a central bank - like the Supreme Court - should be a fourth part/agency of the US constitution.

But I agree with Milton Friedman. On its first test, the Fed in 1930 was an utter disaster.

=====

The monetary histories of Canada and the US are remarkable. Remarkably, English-Canadian nationalist historians have ignored this.

==========

Austria-Hungary, Galicia, Pomerania. IMHO, prior to 1914, Europe was civilised.

Then, in the late 1800s - around 1890 or so, like now in the early 2000s, around 2020 or so, an elite believed that they were right.

In Europe, it seems to happen every 100 years or so. The time to forget the last war. 

Edited by August1991

4 minutes ago, August1991 said:

Here's another: Woodrow Wilson created the US Federal Reserve system.

Now, like Alexander Hamilton, I happen to have no objection to a US federal central bank. Indeed, I think that a central bank - like the Supreme Court - should be a fourth part/agency of the US constitution.

But I agree with Milton Friedman. On its first test, the Fed in 1930 was an utter disaster.

=====

The monetary histories of Canada and the US are remarkable. They define the countries.

==========

Austria-Hungary, Galicia, Pomerania. IMHO, prior to 1914, Europe was civilised.

Then, in the late 1800s, like now in the early 2000s, an elite believed that they were right. 

Woodrow Wilson is trash

that doesn't mean the Austro-Hungarian Empire should be seen as a model to emulate today

because of your nostalgia for an Austria-Hungary that never was

Edited by Yzermandius19

On 7/1/2022 at 6:34 PM, August1991 said:

Yzermandius, I disagree on so many levels:

-if we are to live on this planet peacefully, we must find a way to live as the various people in the Austrian-Hungarian Empire did

What makes you think man is capable of living peacefully? 

On 6/20/2022 at 3:19 AM, August1991 said:

I disagree.

In this 21st century, Montreal (and Bombay etc) are proof that cities of various unilingual people - like Lemberg once was - can thrive and live together in peace.

There are also examples of multi-cultures not living well together, Take a look at Yugoslavia, where it saw neighbors fight neighbors. War has poisoned all of them, they could not live side by side, maybe a few cases. 

Edited by Army Guy

2 hours ago, Army Guy said:

There are also examples of multi-cultures not living well together, Take a look at Yugoslavia, where it saw neighbors fight neighbors. War has poisoned all of them, they could not live side by side, maybe a few cases. 

he's just going to invoke the Austro-Hungarian Empire again

fronting like subjugation and constant uprisings is peaceful coexistence

Edited by Yzermandius19

On 7/7/2022 at 5:56 AM, Yzermandius19 said:

he's just going to invoke the Austro-Hungarian Empire again

fronting like subjugation and constant uprisings is peaceful coexistence

Co-operation achieves more than competition. Positive-sum games are better than negative-sum games.

But co-operation is not easy. Individuals cheat.

======

The family is one way to co-operate. The price-mechanism (numbers) is the most striking way for anonymous people to co-operate. Belonging to a group, that's another way. But which group and how to unite these groups?

This modern Buddhist flag of QWERTY colours reminds me of an amateur version of the Austrian Hungarian Empire: a collection of identities. This is how "progressive" Wilson viewed Europe in 1919.

The better question is why and how this civilised world of 1913 collapsed into war - a war in which all the leading elites lost their position and status.  

16 minutes ago, August1991 said:

Co-operation achieves more than competition. Positive-sum games are better than negative-sum games.

But co-operation is not easy. Individuals cheat.

======

The family is one way to co-operate. The price-mechanism (numbers) is the most striking way for anonymous people to co-operate. Belonging to a group, that's another way. But which group and how to unite these groups?

This modern Buddhist flag of QWERTY colours reminds me of an amateur version of the Austrian Hungarian Empire: a collection of identities. This is how "progressive" Wilson viewed Europe in 1919.

The better question is why and how this civilised world of 1913 collapsed into war - a war in which all the leading elites lost their position and status.  

it collapsed into war because their form of cooperation was subjugation and this pissed off both their subjects and their neighbors

cooperation for the sake of cooperation often backfires, who knew?

the world isn't one big family and empires holding down the people of Central Europe are not a model to emulate

what's next? you gonna get nostalgic about the Ottoman Empire too?

Edited by Yzermandius19

Canada has bern sucked into this debacle.

Zelenskiy sacks Ukraine's envoy to Germany, other ambassadors

Kyiv’s relations with Germany, which is heavily reliant on Russian energy supplies and also Europe’s biggest economy, has been a particular sensitive matter.

The two capitals are currently at odds over a German-made turbine undergoing maintenance in Canada. Germany wants Ottawa to return the turbine to Russian natural gas giant Gazprom to pump gas to Europe.

Kyiv has urged Canada to keep the turbine, saying that shipping it to Russia would be a violation of sanctions imposed on Moscow.

Nice that Canada is helping Germany maintain good business with Russia. Make money, hand over fist.

But maybe Zelinski wont mind, since Trudeau gives good hugs.

image.png.e945cebab680418f0d6b0d498a629d1c.png

• Like 1