Quasem Soleimani Taken Out

Rue

20 hours ago, eyeball said:

The problem is that there's nothing to defend the world from the US.

No one around here is applauding terrorists but there are lots of people applauding the US for creating the sort of instability that gives terrorists their raison d'être.  Don't forget Trump is just a symptom and simply the latest in a long string of US Presidents who've been interfering and destabilizing Iran and the surrounding region for decades. 

First off to say you need protection from US terrorism makes no sense to me but if you feel that way move to Russia.

Next to blame the US for terrorism let alone Muslim extremist terrorism is simplistic to the point of absurdity.

20 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

But it has not been just the US interfering and destabilizing the region for many decades, and that includes Canada (e.g. Gulf War, Libya, etc.).  Terrorists have also attacked many other nations besides the USA and American interests.   

You can't hide from reality by pretending all would be paradise if only the U.S. stayed home.

Had the US not interfered in the ME, the French, British, Germans and Russians would have blown it up by now.

I have to live everyday wondering what kind of fucked up world we're leaving my grand-kids.  Don't preach to me about my perspective.

I imagine living with the threat of a drone coming out of the sky like a bolt from the red white and blue is a little terrifying too.

I live next door to a country that is ruled by someone who appears to be as unstable and out of control as Kim Jong Il. I'm afraid of the instability and terrorism his and his country's actions lead to.  I think they're everybit as terrifying.

I have given no sermons. You mistake me as Moses..I am only a two bit comedian on a circuit.  

Knock yourself out trying to use the US as a psychological device to turn your fears into teddy bears.

What I am telling you is until you live with terrorism as a fact in every moment of your life and or witness it,  your opinions and perspectives mean very little to those of us who have had and to deal with it.

I make no apology for the US standing up to it, I thank them.

Edited by Rue

I have to live everyday wondering..

I imagine living ..

Read the above.  You really  think your neurotic fretting is relevant to people shot at, blown up, or cleaning up body parts?  

Edited by Rue

3 minutes ago, Marocc said:

Better isn't always safer and safer isn't always better.

Was that meant to be pithy? I guess this is where I come in and say terrorism is never better, safer, justifiable. That was not meant to be pithy just someone who has scraped up flesh. Excuse me but I ain't pithy. I cleaned toilets. I claim no righteousness but I do understand the purpose of chlorine.

Edited by Rue

Should every country think about a kill-list now? Here is Jim Webb’s take:

How did it become acceptable to assassinate one of the top military officers of a country with whom we are not formally at war during a public visit to a third country that had no opposition to his presence? And what precedent has this assassination established on the acceptable conduct of nation-states toward military leaders of countries with which we might have strong disagreement short of actual war — or for their future actions toward our own people?
https://www.washingtonpost.com

36 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

People have a short memory when it comes to the consequences of political assassination.  Remember Franz Ferdinand?  And what would have been the blowback if the US had taken out Castro?  Bin Laden was different.  He was directly responsible for the targeted mass murder of civilians.  Iran is bad news, but it isn't clear why taking out Soleimani was the right way to address Iran's moves in Iraq.  Trump has certainly succeeded in creating a distraction.  He hasn't succeeded in resolving issues with Iran.

Edited by Zeitgeist

On 1/10/2020 at 3:44 PM, Rue said:

Was that meant to be pithy? I guess this is where I come in and say terrorism is never better, safer, justifiable. That was not meant to be pithy just someone who has scraped up flesh. Excuse me but I ain't pithy. I cleaned toilets. I claim no righteousness but I do understand the purpose of chlorine.

Does that include those bloody terrorists back in 1776?

How about Nelson Mandela?

Never is a word that should be used with caution.

3 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

So how is it, we hold people like the general reasonable for their role in the killing of thousands of US and other NATO soldiers, is there an inter national organization like the UN that has a legal means to bring these people to justice, come on......or is it something we just live with, and let them go on planning, suppling , massive terrorist networks...

Kill lists are nothing new, many nations have been doing since their inception, including this nation...and while this has been done without much attention or fan fair, does not mean it is not being down... I think if the west came together and cooperated more on this front there would be a lot less bad guys around to start with.. Maybe then Canada would stop harboring terrorists and just quietly making them disappear.... 

Reports of the protests first emerged on social media Saturday, with unverified footage showing crowds chanting for the removal of the country’s political elite across the city.

Iran’s semi-official Fars news agency also reported on the protests at Amir Kabir, stating that pictures of Qassem Soleimani, Iran’s top general who had been killed in a U.S. air strike over a week ago, were being ripped up by demonstrators.

Accounts that shared the unverified footage on social media said that the protests were happening at both Sharif University and Tehran University, as well as on the streets of Tehran. The footage later showed that as protests delved further into the night, Iranian security forces began using teargas, live ammunition and water cannons to disperse the crowds.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6398794/iranian-protest-downed-ukrainian-aircraft/

Iran’s semi-official Fars news agency, in a rare report on anti-government unrest, said protesters in Tehran on Saturday chanted slogans against the nation’s top authorities, after the powerful Revolutionary Guards admitted shooting down a passenger plane.The report said the demonstrators on the street also ripped up pictures of Qassem Soleimani, the prominent commander of the Guard’s Quds Force who was killed in a U.S. drone strike.The agency, widely seen as close to the Guards, carried pictures of the gathering and a torn banner of Soleimani. It said the protesters numbered about 700 to 1,000 people.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

Revolutionary guards (paid thugs) attacked demonstrators with tear gas who were chanting "Soleimani was a murderer and his leader is a murderer too".

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/11/795567483/irans-unforgivable-mistake-downing-jet-elicits-furor-at-home-and-abroad

The regime's plot and plan to exploit Soleimani's death has backfired. 

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

4 hours ago, Army Guy said:

So how is it, we hold people like the general reasonable for their role in the killing of thousands of US and other NATO soldiers, is there an inter national organization like the UN that has a legal means to bring these people to justice, come on......or is it something we just live with, and let them go on planning, suppling , massive terrorist networks...

Say a soldier is sent abroad to assist an insurgency. Is he legitimate drone material afterwards? What about somebody who helped Afghan insurgents kill Soviet soldiers? He would have ‘blood on his hands’. There are many examples around the world like this, some where it would be difficult to discern which side was the government, so a comprehensive list would be a long one. 

Qassem Soleimani was an apparatus of the Iranian regime taken out by the US.

IMO he was a bargaining chip provided on a silver plate to the Americans by the Ayatollahs as his gradual strength through the ranks over the years posed a real threat to the supreme leader. He was a peasant that became a general, a general who became an icon fighting off ISIS and keeping them at bay from Iran borders and yet part of the same corrupt ideology inherent in the Iranian regime that ultimately killed him off....

One would argue that the following events post his assassination is only good for Iranian leadership and Trump’s re-election chances. The so called “hard revenge” by Iran was nothing but a ‘contrived’ scenario collaborated by the supreme leader of Iran and president Trump each for their own chances of appeasing to the nation. Iran’s peculiar attack on “US bases” in Iraq without even a single casualty poses many questions....There were no American casualties. So far so good. It was win win scenario for both Iran and the US. Ayatollahs get the popular vote for domestic consumption propagating that we have given a ‘slap to the Great Satan’ and the foreign minister of Iran Zarif stating that the matter about Qassem Soleimani “is now concluded”. With Soleimani out of the picture the chapter is now closed and a new chapter begins the standoff between Iran, US and its allies....On the other hand Trump is looking triumphant as ever by taking “the general out”. This will dilute his impeachment case and increase his chances in securing a second term....

But the real losers here are the Iranian people that are caught in the midst of fire....Literally.... The death toll of 176 passengers on a recent Ukrainian flight by an anti missile was a terrible tragedy. The Iranian regime admitted to this. In an ironic way, this event resonates a similar attack in 1988 by the US navy ship in the Persian Gulf in which 290 Iranian passengers were onboard flight PS752 hit by a US missile.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/01/10/middleeast/iran-air-flight-655-us-military-intl-hnk/index.html

Edited by kactus
  • Thanks 1

There are many similar scenarios when this regime has eliminated their own who may not have followed their strict way of repression (Rafsanjani, the former President of this regime) or became too popular and a threat for the leadership. Another example is ayatollah Taleghani at the beginning of the clerical coup in 1979. He became very popular as he started speaking against mass executions and extremism and suddenly he died of a heart attack the next day. Many similar examples when a popular figure who was a devoted member of the regime but deviated slightly from the extreme brutal line of the regime and became popular  suddenly died in a suspicious manner.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 7:15 AM, Rue said:

First off to say you need protection from US terrorism makes no sense to me

Consider how a mouse might feel with an enraged elephant thundering around overhead.

Next to blame the US for terrorism let alone Muslim extremist terrorism is simplistic to the point of absurdity.

Your Kindergarten teacher never made reference to doing the Tango when defusing an escalating squabble between you and another classmate?

Like I said maybe if we'd had teachers that encouraged us to 'kick 'em when they're down' we'd be better adjusted for understanding and dealing with the real world.

Edited by eyeball

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Consider how a mouse might feel with an enraged elephant thundering around overhead.

Iran's a big boy...big enough to want to join-in with Hitler pillaging the Soviet Union. 

Didn't get a chance....I know...unfortunately....or fortunately? Hard to say, eh?

:lol:

Edited by DogOnPorch

Some facts about Soleimani:

Much of the media made a big deal of the crowds at his funeral without noting that many of those people were there against their will. There were celebrations across the region with pastries being shared in celebration. “Hours after the strike, video circulated online showing people celebrating in Soleimani's hometown of Kerman, Iran,” the Washington Examiner reported.

And the people protesting in the streets now see cracks in the previously invincible façade of the mullahs and their thugs. Soleimani was supposed to be 10 feet tall and bulletproof and it doesn’t matter how big a funeral they throw for him. The people know President Trump pushed one button and returned the general to his component molecules.

Iranians want the treasure and energy of a great country to go toward making their lives better, not supremacist adventures in other countries. Eggs and butter in Tehran trump guns and rockets in Syria. The protesters see corruption and incompetence and know there is a better way. The mullahs need to change their ways or the people will change them.

However it happens, a more peaceful and prosperous Iran would be better for everyone.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/jim-hanson-trumps-tweets-boost-iranian-protests-the-world-is-watching-president-warns-mullahs

21 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Say a soldier is sent abroad to assist an insurgency. Is he legitimate drone material afterwards? What about somebody who helped Afghan insurgents kill Soviet soldiers? He would have ‘blood on his hands’. There are many examples around the world like this, some where it would be difficult to discern which side was the government, so a comprehensive list would be a long one. 

Your making it to complicated, if a soldier is fighting on behalf of his nation , His nation would have no reason to target him, after all they sent him,Now the other side would consider him a legit target. Here in Canada ,if  he was assisting an insurgency with out the blessing of his nation he has committed a crime, not to mention could be tried as a terrorist/ mercenary by the other side. . 

There are going to be times when a government will tell those soldiers that their country is going to deny their existence or mission meaning they are on their own, this is would be for special ops troops or say CIA/ CSIS members...not regular soldiers...

In the case against the General he was involved in planning/ providing resources to terrorist activities abroad, against US and NATO troops...He made the list of several countries...

Edited by Army Guy
xxxx ssss

29 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Your making it to complicated, if a soldier is fighting on behalf of his nation , His nation would have no reason to target him, after all they sent him,Now the other side would consider him a legit target. Here in Canada ,if  he was assisting an insurgency with out the blessing of his nation he has committed a crime, not to mention could be tried as a terrorist/ mercenary by the other side. . 

Take the example of Charlie Wilson, the subject of a light-hearted movie. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Wilson's_War_(film)

He was part of an American effort to provide Stinger missiles to the Afghan mujahideen fighting Soviet soldiers. He had Soviet blood on his hands. Should the Russians have put him and others like him on a kill-list because of that alone? 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

He was part of an American effort to provide Stinger missiles to the Afghan mujahideen fighting Soviet soldiers. He had Soviet blood on his hands. Should the Russians have put him and others like him on a kill-list because of that alone? 

It's a great question. 

I'd say yes. Once you start playing the game...don't be surprised if the game plays you.

I'm sure this fellow was quite aware of his value & risk of being a big target.

The Israelis might have whacked him if the US didn't...drone traffic-jam above the dude.

:P

Edited by DogOnPorch

22 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Yes...he would have been a legal target, why would he be different than say a soldier who was fighting Russians directly....Bin Ladin is a prime example of this, he planed , gave resources and provided logistics to his terrorist buddies....that got him on the list of lots of countries.... works both ways...

Edited by Army Guy
  • Like 1

The reports from the universities are encouraging:

https://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Iranian-protesters-refuse-to-walk-on-US-Israeli-flags-613944

But how reliable are students as barometers of public opinion in any country? We’ve also seen monotonous ranks of women in chadors mourning Soleimani with little evidence of make-up or sunglasses. In between are ordinary Iranians trying to get by who don’t want any more trouble in their lives. Is another revolution coming?