How the Media Shapes the Agenda

cannuck

Time magazine is a big player in the world of media communication, and they have always tended to come at it from the left side of the political scale.  The Gretta thing is a perfect example:

https://100percentfedup.com/time-chooses-angry-teen-climate-actress-for-person-of-the-year-overlooks-college-student-who-discovered-way-for-bacteria-to-eat-plastic/

The link DOES come at it from a right side bias, but that is fine to balance the left bias of most of the electronic and print world.  The points they make, though, are valid.  This girl in Oregon through real intellectual pursuit and hard work, supported by a school with great values is doing something to actually FIX the real problems of the environment (and a rather significant one at that) while the actress is just flapping her gums as a puppet for those with an agenda.

3 hours ago, scribblet said:

The media should just be reporting the news, not making or shaping it, but now...   they do both.

They always have.  If you look back in history, you'll see that they used to be a lot more blatant about it. 

Today, there are many sources that  "report" the news with minimal bias.  But partisan people who don't like the message claim bias.  And when they see stories they like from sources that are obviously (and often extremely) biased, they claim that these are the sites that are "telling the truth", and the unbiased media is "hiding" things. 

This is the fault of the people who'll only accept news they like as "factual", not the media for reporting facts that people don't like.

Time Magazine's Person of the Year is not meant to be an endorsement, it simply recognizes them as influential.

Case in point, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Nikita Khrushchev and Ayatollah Khomeini have all been awarded the distinction of being Time's Man of the Year.

41KJK2M1weL.jpg

Edited by Dougie93

4 hours ago, scribblet said:

The media should just be reporting the news, not making or shaping it, but now...   they do both.

If they want to add spin, they should do opinion pieces.  But freedom of the press and free speech means they can do whatever they want, for good or bad.

There's still some dry non-spin news sites out there.  Associated Press, Reuters, The Canadian Press, CTV News are pretty neutral compared to others.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dougie93 said:

Time Magazine's Person of the Year is not meant to be an endorsement, it simply recognizes them as influential.

Case in point, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Nikita Khrushchev and Ayatollah Khomeini have all been awarded the distinction of being Time's Man of the Year.

They should call it "newsmaker of the year".

Edited by Moonlight Graham

I don't think it's correct to say that the media shapes the agenda, rather the media simply panders to ideological camps already entrenched, without altering the confirmation biases of those camps whatsoever.   Rather than being influential, the media is actually dying a slow death, because nobody is willing to pay for the crap they produce anymore.

• Like 1

Again, I would submit, the thing that is actually shaping the agenda is the free money being issued by the central banks.

The whole world is in a kind of La-La-Land, because nobody is paying the market price of things.

When that all comes crashing down in another inevitable global financial crisis, that is what will shift the agenda.

In the case of Canada specifically, the agenda is shaped by the fact that the provinces are going broke because they cannot control spending.

Canadian provinces are living beyond the means, the expectation is that the federal government is going to bail them out.

If the central banks rein in their free money party, that is going to shape the agenda in Canada, the price will have to be paid,  the government overreach will be forcibly constrained.

The electorate will then likely through a kind of tantrum about it and the agenda will become who is paying for what and what is actually a neccesity.

54 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I don't think it's correct to say that the media shapes the agenda, rather the media simply panders to ideological camps already entrenched, without altering the confirmation biases of those camps whatsoever.   Rather than being influential, the media is actually dying a slow death, because nobody is willing to pay for the crap they produce anymore.

The alt-left MSM has a very leftist liberal driven agenda. In America, the alt-left liberal MSM shows us all it is very bias, and very pro-democrat. In Canada, our alt-left liberal MSM is very Trudeau, and very anti-conservative Bernier. The death of the left wing liberal media cannot come fast enough for me. But then again, while the TV and newspaper versions of the media of today are taking a shit kicking, the same leftist globalist liberal elite that own those mentioned are now taking over social media where they can now manipulate and control the narrative. All we seem to be doing is eliminating one controlled globalist media and replacing it with another controlled globalist media. Aw well. 

What is deep state Eyeball other than a buzz word.  How do you define it and how do you know what it controls?  It is  a concept that is inherently unproven, subjective and conspiratorial. Hey I like conspiracies. They are entertaining. They try connect dots and create connections when none may exist to make sense of things and bring order to what may very well just be random chaos.

The technical word for it is" apophenia"  the tendency our brains have  to mistakenly perceive connections and meaning between unrelated things.  It first was conceived by a psychiatrist Klaus Conrad when discussing the beginning stages of schizophrenia. A sub-category of it is "pareidolia" whoch explains our tendency for incorrect perception of a stimulus as an object, pattern or meaning  we thing we know such as seeing shapes in clouds or faces in abstract patterns or hidden messages in music or speeches.

The fact is you and I have no clue. We do see things but sometimes we think we see things. When 9-11 happened, when any political event or catastrophe happens, within seconds people become apophenic seeing meanings and connections in the events. 

Our brain does this. It tries to make sense of the continuous non-stop stimuli that bombards it by categorizing it so as to control it.

Deep state? For me its just another buzz word conspiracy theory. Illuminati, cloning, Satanist-Masonic-Draco shape-shifting, on and on it goes some of it deliberately false information disseminated by governments such as Turkey, North Korea and Russia, sometimes by our own allies. We don't know. We also don't know which part of what we hear is the result of schizophrenic delusions, insecure people trying to make themselves look smart, people spouting theories to try get attention and be liked, on and on.

People like to pose themselves as being one of the few "chosen" who really know the story while everyone else is mistaken. Its how cult leaders control folowers by leading them to believe they are privileged and in an elite category of superiority thanks to their cult leader.

Its what pimps and predators and con men use to get your guard down and control you.

No one knows what is and is not true. We think we do. We are bombarded with an information highway but known of us knows who writes it and what motivates it, we just think we do.

Get back to me with any proof of a deep state. Yah yah, I know. I see everyone giving Satanic ok signals (666), using the shhhh sign on their lips, covering their eye, using the sign of the pyramid. Yah yah. I see Trump do it continuously. And?  yah yah, Hollywood is run by pedophile, blood sucking pedophiles. Got it. Been there. Satan worshippers. Elite illuminati controlling the world.

All I see are homo sapiens...naked apes running around making ape noises and engaging in pack behaviour and indicating the pack they are in which makes them feel stronger than simply being an individual. Np deep state, just apes claiming to be in packs. No deep state, just baboons...me..you...fleas and bananas.

When you have a president in the US abusing his power for personal gains then it does bring one’s integrity into question. It is called ‘conflict of interest’. I don’t care about ‘soundbites’ like “apophenia”, “schizophrenia”, “pareidolia”....whichever way it fits the rhyme or the media shales the agenda.

16 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Associated Press, Reuters, The Canadian Press, CTV News are pretty neutral compared to others.

Maybe compared to others, but I disagree that they are neutral. And opinion panels are the very thing being used to shape the agenda. Get yer bias confirmation here.

News outlets today seek to entertain for the purpose of increased viewership, =more revenue. By making the news more compelling, they will attract and keep the attention of more viewers. Ratings up, advertisement sales go up. They do this by applying a more dramatic presentation format. = Hype.

Conclusion: More hype = more drama = more people watching.

So now this is how they make money, by blending real world and entertainment world into a media product. This is not news without bias. It is leading people by the nose.

13 hours ago, Rue said:

What is deep state Eyeball other than a buzz word.  How do you define it and how do you know what it controls?

It's utter horseshit for sure but a sizable segment of the right-wing believe the deep state is an actual institution with a real agenda and human operatives carrying it out.  They're not kidding, its not just rhetoric and the belief acts like LSD.  It makes them hallucinate and completely fucks up their ability to think or communicate coherently.  It causes people to lose control of their ability to reason. 

Edited by eyeball
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kactus said:

When you have a president in the US abusing his power for personal gains then it does bring one’s integrity into question. It is called ‘conflict of interest’. I don’t care about ‘soundbites’ like “apophenia”, “schizophrenia”, “pareidolia”....whichever way it fits the rhyme or the media shales the agenda.

I was making a reference to the concept of "deep state" not Trump or Trump's behaviour. As usual you did not grasp the point. As for Trump's behaviour, it speaks for itself in terms of his state of or lack of emotional stability and control. 

He reminds me of plenty of people I saw in the court system who beat their wives, children and dogs. Been there, done that. Just another angry man over-compensating for  having a tiny prick.  The Americans need to elect Shaquille O'Neil  next election and deal with their anxiety once and for all.

Edited by Rue

FISA court slams FBI conduct in Carter Page surveillance warrant applications

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/17/politics/fisa-court-slams-fbi-conduct/index.html

The FBI made "mistakes" in it's applications.  The "mistakes" were all one-sided, in favour of the FBI.  Must be a coincidence!

Edited by Shady

12 minutes ago, Shady said:

Actually it is completely real.  The best example is the current FBI FISA court abuses.

The behaviour of the FBI with regard to FISA warrants has been similar for 40 years according to Napolitano. It's a matter of laziness by the FBI and poor oversight by the court. If the FISA court gives away warrants relatively easily then you go to them for stuff you shouldn't. It's not a conspiracy against Trump.

The absolute proof there is no deep state is that Trump hasn't already died. A half decent deep state, particularly involving the intelligence agencies, would have killed him off by now.

Edited by Argus

36 minutes ago, Shady said:

Actually it is completely real.  The best example is the current FBI FISA court abuses.

So the US has been taken over by the Deep State.  Funny how there's never a well regulated militia around when you need one.

Maybe it's just around the corner or something.

Edited by eyeball

46 minutes ago, eyeball said:

So the US has been taken over by the Deep State.  Funny how there's never a well regulated militia around when you need one.

Maybe it's just around the corner or something.

I didn’t say anything about being taken over.  You’re arguing with yourself.