Why Do Conservatives Support the Monarchy?

Guest PPC2019

4 minutes ago, Iceni warrior said:

He's a greenie too. I look forward to seeing solar panels on the roof of Buck House.

That part I am not so fond of, as the whole Green dogma is simply a rubric to justify misguided central planning.

None the less, I swore an oath to heirs and successors, thus while in British North America, I will resist His enemies and defend His peace as well.

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

We can use all the help we can get, but it was always English Canada's team, there is no more Royal team than the Leafs.

I've got the cricket on the radio while I watch the hockey with the sound off.

New Zealand are nearly 200 ahead now. I think they're going to declare soon and put England in to bat.

A draw is the best we can hope for now.

The hockey is entertaining but a few too many breaks in play. Nearly 2 hrs to play 40 mins. A dull game must be torture to watch.

17 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

We can use all the help we can get, but it was always English Canada's team, there is no more Royal team than the Leafs.

I've actually got a mate who is working in Toronto. Should be back for Christmas, if I see him I'll ask if he's got into the hockey.

The Monarchy is no longer important in Canada. I like the idea of parliamentary monarchy in theory, but that is no longer effective in practice. However, that is our fault, not the Monarch's.

What I don't like is the idea of too much centralized power in the Fed. There needs to be a person who is apart from the system, specifically apart from politics, who has the authority to hold the politicians accountable but who cannot be corrupted themselves by bribery, more power, or money. Hence King, etc. But what I do not like is the idea of inheritance.

I find the concept of "First Canadian" kind of interesting. Replace the Governor General with a "First Canadian", which can be a life-long appointment, but is democratically selected. The role of First Canadian is to protect individuals and uphold the rights of private citizens against exploitation by government and wealthy corporations.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:56 PM, Dougie93 said:

I do like the crown on the Marlies' jerseys.  I'm fine with keeping the monarch as mere figurehead and leaving political roles to the Governor General, which is pretty much the case today.  I like the British parliamentary trappings, the changing of the guards and other historic cultural links.  Like all the New France history, we should protect it.  They're part of what makes Canada Canadian.  We're seeing too much disposal of culture.  Even Halloween is off limits to many in the new Canada.  A number of homes in my neighbourhood put up signs saying that they don't celebrate it.  I don't know what makes Halloween so threatening that people can't participate in a fun, light event that kids love.  Nothing religious about it.  Too much of this nonsense happening today.  Celebrate traditions and add new ones instead of rooting them out for dubious reasons...

10 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Even Halloween is off limits to many in the new Canada.  A number of homes in my neighbourhood put up signs saying that they don't celebrate it.  I don't know what makes Halloween so threatening that people can't participate in a fun, light event that kids love.  Nothing religious about it.  Too much of this nonsense happening today.  Celebrate traditions and add new ones instead of rooting them out for dubious reasons...

Apart from the creeping Americanism some people just don't want to be disturbed by constant intrusions from children trying to extort confectionary with the threat of menace.

54 minutes ago, Iceni warrior said:

Apart from the creeping Americanism some people just don't want to be disturbed by constant intrusions from children trying to extort confectionary with the threat of menace.

Too bad.  It’s a great tradition for kids across Canada, a harmless event that lasts three hours at most.  No one has to participate, but it’s lame not to.  Halloween is no more American than it is Canadian.  What’s your agenda, Iceni?  Lighten up. 

Edited by Zeitgeist

I suppose the greatest threat to the Monarchy is succession, which has always been the greatest challenge to monarchies.

We haven't had to deal with this for some time given the longevity of the current monarch.

Interesting times should be on their way.

I suppose we could keep most of our institutions viable even if the monarchy jumps the shark... but it would be a shame.

14 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Countries change from monarchies to republics all the time. It wouldn’t affect ordinary life very much. 

This is what pisses me of, we got it good and people want to change what made this country great. Why do people want to be more like america is beyond me.