Free Ride?

1 minute ago, Boges said:

Yeah protectionism works so much better. :lol:

Hopefully, what little is left of American automotive investment in Canada (Ontario Liberals screwed that up royally) will be repatriated to Michigan or southern right-to-work states.

Hey Canada...you wanna sell in the USA ?   Then build it in the USA...sound familiar ?

On 7/24/2018 at 6:40 AM, eyeball said:

How many times does it need to be said?  Buy war bonds. Put your money where your mouths are.

I always put my money in taxes because they are always going up. :lol:

We’ve let the U.S. play too great a role in our economy, and now they’re trying to gain an unfair advantage by imposing tariffs against a country with which they have a trade surplus.  Reduce and avoid trade with the U.S.   I’ll reference dubya’s favourite saying: Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  Trump and his ilk won’t disappear anytime soon. Maybe worse to come.  

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

Reduce and avoid trade with the U.S

And trade with who? Cuba? Mexico and the EU are definitely not going to do more trade with Canada than the US, as it stands they're trying to trade with America. But Im sure Cuba can be a great substitute for the world's only super power. 

19 hours ago, paxamericana said:

And trade with who? Cuba? Mexico and the EU are definitely not going to do more trade with Canada than the US, as it stands they're trying to trade with America. But Im sure Cuba can be a great substitute for the world's only super power. 

Correct, China is going to have a hard time being the worl'd only super power.

6 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

Correct, China is going to have a hard time being the worl'd only super power.

I don't think this will be case actually. Pretty sure China will not be able to replace America as the next hedgemon. My prediction is that having a huge population will become a liability in the future economy with automation and ai. 

Edited by paxamericana
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, paxamericana said:

I don't think this will be case actually. Pretty sure China will not be able to replace America as the next hedgemon. My prediction is that having a huge population will become a liability in the future economy with automation and ai. 

Agreed...as China faces several practical barriers to displacing the U.S. as global hegemon (language, culture, government, military power projection, immigration, reserve currency, etc.)    China built a Great Wall long before Trump had the idea.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2018 at 2:07 AM, August1991 said:

As a Canadian, why do you spend all that (our) money on defense?

Spend less money on defending our continent, or spend the money building a wall to the south.

OMG, August.

We once had a PM who said that "Canadians earned their place at the table".

Now, we have a PM who says that the Canadian table is for everyone.

======

America, You won the Cold War. Forget Russia.

You have no reason to have a border/tariffs war with Canadians.

Edited by August1991

• 4 weeks later...

What table , the kiddy table.....I see lots of support for Canada in regards to our spat with the Saudis , the lack of other nations standing up for us, is a huge signal.....we have no seat anywhere, not even the kiddy table. so now we have to invent our own table to convince ourselves we are relevant.

On 7/26/2018 at 2:14 AM, August1991 said:

Getting back to my OP. You Americans (Left/Right whatever) seem clueless.

1. In Canada, it is cold. We have few immigrants who want to stay.

More than half the population of Toronto is composed of immigrants. 20% of Canada is immigrants.

2. We in Canada have enjoyed living under your protection. While you pay for guns, we can pay for butter.

And yet they have bigger houses, a better economy, lower taxes, and more butter.

3. You leave us alone. (Honest to God, I could not wish for a better neighbour.)

They don't leave us alone any more.

8 hours ago, Argus said:

More than half the population of Toronto is composed of immigrants. 20% of Canada is immigrants.

And yet they have bigger houses, a better economy, lower taxes, and more butter.

They don't leave us alone any more.

3. They leave us alone. (Imagine if Trump were a Putin.... )

2. Agreed. In Vermont and NH, they have better roads than in Quebec - and far lower taxes.

1. Disagree. An Australian once argued with me about immigration stats. I claimed that we accepted similar numbers - roughly 300,000 per year. He argued that I was wrong. Canada has low net migration. We accept many foreigners (moral signal!) but these immigrants don't stay in Canada. They move south - where it's warm.

In effect, Canada has been America's immigration selection system.

BTW, Trump wants to copy Canada's immigration law. Points for selection. French/English, education, provincial choice. Whatever. And Trump is now the racist. 

1 minute ago, August1991 said:

1. Disagree. An Australian once argued with me about immigration stats. I claimed that we accepted similar numbers - roughly 300,000 per year. He argued that I was wrong. Canada has low net migration. We accept many foreigners (moral signal!) but these immigrants don't stay in Canada. They move south - where it's warm.

In effect, Canada has been America's immigration selection system.

Indeed....Canada has been bleeding emigres and citizens for decades, many to the United States.   Almost 10% of Canadian citizens do not reside in Canada.

Canada is a ticket to the Promised Land.

20 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Well yeah.....think about it....Canadians fought and died for the right...to watch real American Super Bowl® commercials !!!

I am thankful that I have Americans as neighbours. Too often, too many Canadians say bad things about you thinking that  "Americans are the big, rich guys - the corporations".

Whenever I've been to the states, I'm usually talking to some guy/girl in a gas station - confused with my credit card/accent.

====

b_c2004: fought/died? You Americans fought/died in Vietnam. I'm thankful. For the good of us all,  you won the Cold War.

Edited by August1991
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Well yeah.....think about it....Canadians fought and died for the right...to watch real American Super Bowl® commercials !!!

As a kid living in the North, there was just CBC. Summer brought vacations to the South where we would encounter AMERICAN TELEVISION...13 channels...and some UHF!!! All free over the airwaves...OMG what an amazing world!

:D 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

As a kid living in the North, there was just CBC. Summer brought vacations to the South where we would encounter AMERICAN TELEVISION...13 channels...and some UHF!!! All free over the airwaves...OMG what an amazing world!

:D 

DogOnPorch,

Do you think that it's good/bad/problematic to let people have more choices?

On 9/3/2018 at 8:38 AM, DogOnPorch said:

Let's just say that when cable arrived (earlier than the majority of Canada in 1975) CBC was rarely watched ever again.

DoP,

I've always read your posts with respect. I'm amazed that you're still posting here - heck, I'm amazed that I'm still posting here.

====

Years ago, I recall a woman from Kelowna explaining to me that when she was young, she had only two channels. (I remember a world of five channels.)

I recall this because true wealth is choice: the more choices that you have, the richer that you are.

People confuse money with wealth; rather, you are rich if you have more choices.

12 hours ago, August1991 said:

1. I've always read your posts with respect. I'm amazed that you're still posting here - heck, I'm amazed that I'm still posting here.

====

2. People confuse money with wealth; rather, you are rich if you have more choices.

1. :D  That's the laugh I needed to start my day.... As much as conservatives provoke my thinking, they amuse me in the broad spectrum of types.  From William F. Buckley to Alex Jones.  From suits to dirty overalls... Hanging out in the lobbyist bars in Washington, to hanging out under bridges and being scared of N*****.... Keep on being you, Auguste.

2. Maybe that's true but that also means that collectivist offerings give ONE choice to some folks who had none.  Welfare gives some people the option to live a life where they had no choice at all before.  And the cost of that is that some people have a minor amount of fewer choices.  What do you think ?

Edited by Michael Hardner

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:45 AM, Queenmandy85 said:

Defence spening is not a high priority for Canadian taxpayers. They government reflects that. With all of the immediate issues facing us right now- climate change, underfunded healthcare, underfunded justice system and a host of other problems, it is hard to convince people to spend an extra 20 billion dollars on something the taxpayer believes will never happen is an uphill climb. We have to convince them the need is immediate.

WOW, are any of those items on the liberal platform, did any of them get any attention by the liberal government ….the only thing that seems to be important to Most Canadians is making pot legal.....and that's the only thing the liberals put any effort into.....

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Why all the angry fighting?

It's the anger of the deplorables ! :D  They are lashing out in anger !   Those Mexicans and Canadians will be put in their place and the coal mines will open once again !

Fear not, though.  When they rise up, it usually triggers a process (French Revolution, American Revolution) that resets the power balance back to the upper class or upper middle class.