Black Rights Activist on Canadian $10 bill

3 hours ago, Argus said:

Yes. It had none. It had zero impact on what racial laws existed in Canada. It had no impact on the Canadian mainstream or Canadian politicians.

Well... 2016 years ago, a powerless man has been crucified on a wooden cross and yet, we ended up with one of the most wide spread religion on earth based on that event. Isolated, it is just a man that died in a very fatalist way. but when we look at the big picture, the conclusion is very different.

I think you under estimate it. Should the event at the movie theatre never occured, would have it not change anything at all? It is possible, yes. I have no analysis on the impact in my hands, directly or indirectly. I am pretty sure it changed something. Maybe influence others on the long run. One thing for sure, it was not a forgotten event. She got a pardon, the first one in Canadian history, according to what I have read so far. She was treated almost like a criminal and now she is considered a hero. I can't agree with your "no impact" conclusion. If you have said that she had a small impact but, not big enough to be compared to many others who deserve that honour, I would say fair enough. But you insist on saying that it's a non impact story and I do not think you are objective when you say that.

You do know that all the racists of that time all thought that refusing her the access of the theatre and the trial for fiscal evasion was not such a big deal. Right?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Benz said:

She got a pardon, the first one in Canadian history, according to what I have read so far.

Actually it was a 'free pardon', that is different from a normal pardon in that it is not a forgiveness but an indication that the conviction itself was in error and the recipient was innocent. That in itself is rare, but the fact that it was issued posthumously is what makes it unique. Regardless, that was not what her family wanted, because it removes all records of the offence. They want it made clear that she was wrongfully convicted.

I think in the moment we should reflect back on the fact that we had our share of racism is this country that caused this event to happen, and then be happy that we have progressed far enough to where we can put her face on our money to remind us of the past, while giving us hope for the future. 

9 minutes ago, Omni said:

I think in the moment we should reflect back on the fact that we had our share of racism is this country that caused this event to happen, and then be happy that we have progressed far enough to where we can put her face on our money to remind us of the past, while giving us hope for the future. 

What is with all this racism you keep bringing up here that was suppose to have happened in Canada a long time ago? Was there a Canadian version of the KKK running around in Canada at one time? This word racist is so thrown around so easy when probably in most cases racism was never involved it just may have appeared that way.   

10 hours ago, taxme said:

What is with all this racism you keep bringing up here that was suppose to have happened in Canada a long time ago? Was there a Canadian version of the KKK running around in Canada at one time? This word racist is so thrown around so easy when probably in most cases racism was never involved it just may have appeared that way.   

Do you deny that she was victim of racism and segregation?

10 hours ago, taxme said:

KKK in Canada

Canada has an extensive history of racism against many different peoples in its past. FN residential schools, Chinese head tax, Japanese internment camps in WW2, Sikhs Komagata Maru, Segregation of Blacks in the Maritimes and other races elsewhere etc.

Technically...this the Second Klan which was making an attempt at becoming a political party. This opposed to the traditional KKK founded after the Civil War. Violence was less a part of the Second Klan...though not eliminated, obviously. This due to the need to appeal to a larger audience...including women.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan#Second_KKK

It all fell apart by the end of WW2.

11 hours ago, taxme said:

A little reading for you.

http://www.peoplescommission.org/files/poped/05. A History of Racism.doc.pdf

On 12/14/2016 at 9:51 PM, Argus said:

My values don't depend on the colour or gender of the person involved. Yours do.

For those of you saying she was put on the note because she was black, that is the stupidest nonsense I've ever heard. She was put on the note for fighting against oppression and advocating equal rights. She was able to do that because people were and still are racist. I mean just look at the bullshit in this thread where people are stupid enough to think she's on the note because she's black. That's your racism right there. It's racist because you can't see what her accomplishment is with your bitter and juvenile fixation on her race.

5 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Nothing explains things better to Canadians than references to Americans.  

"When Americans go down the path of voting for a birther conspiracy freak with Fascist tendencies that  is going to control their military, I think it explains it pretty well. "None so blind as those that will not see"

Edited by Canadianjim

13 minutes ago, Canadianjim said:

"When Americans go down the path of voting for a birther conspiracy freak with Fascist tendencies that  is going to control their military, I think it explains it pretty well. "None so blind as those that will not see"

Americans put fascists on their coins and notes too (e.g. Lincoln & FDR).   Relevance to this topic ?

2 hours ago, Canadianjim said:

You sound like a paranoid American. I deal in reality.

2015 14 americans killed in America by Jihadists

11,000 killed by american gun owners. Paranoia exposes their idiocy as it does yours.

Back on topic, please. This one is about a paternalistic government putting a beautician on the ten dollar bill simply because she was Black.

9 hours ago, Canadianjim said:

You sound like a paranoid American. I deal in reality.

2015 14 americans killed in America by Jihadists

11,000 killed by american gun owners. Paranoia exposes their idiocy as it does yours.

You sound like you don't have a clue what I actually wrote. There was no mention nor any implication of anybody killing anyone.

22 hours ago, Argus said:

Back on topic, please. This one is about a paternalistic government putting a beautician on the ten dollar bill simply because she was Black.

I know; the official "story", that she challenged the status quo of racism and paid with jail time is just a smokescreen so the government could mollify a bunch of women and black people in one fell swoop.   Once again, a more deserving person (any white person, preferably male) was ignored.

2 hours ago, dialamah said:

I know; the official "story", that she challenged the status quo of racism and paid with jail time is just a smokescreen so the government could mollify a bunch of women and black people in one fell swoop.   Once again, a more deserving person (any white person, preferably male) was ignored.

In fact, she got a $26 fine. But do exaggerate. Was she the only Black person who ever got mad at racial discrimination and complained about it? I doubt it. Was she the first and only black person who was ever charged with one of these things and pleaded innocent? I doubt it. So what, in the end, was her accomplishment? Nobody even heard of her until her sisters started publicizing the case many years later.  If you want to look at someone who accomplished something for the Black community how about Lincoln Alexander? His contributions were approximately several hundred times more important than hers.

1 minute ago, Argus said:

In fact, she got a $26 fine. But do exaggerate. Was she the only Black person who ever got mad at racial discrimination and complained about it? I doubt it. Was she the first and only black person who was ever charged with one of these things and pleaded innocent? I doubt it. So what, in the end, was her accomplishment? Nobody even heard of her until her sisters started publicizing the case many years later.  If you want to look at someone who accomplished something for the Black community how about Lincoln Alexander? His contributions were approximately several hundred times more important than hers.

Clearly you hate the thoughts of her on a Canadian bill. We get it. 

7 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

Logic and common sense. Hmmmm. 

Anyone honest comparing the accomplishments of Lincoln Alexander and Viola Desmond cannot help but notice how vastly more important Alexander was in terms of convincing White Canada of the merits of equality. 

I am not the spokesman for the Negro; that honour has not been given to me. Do not let me ever give anyone that impression. However, I want the record to show that I accept the responsibility of speaking for him and all others in this great nation who feel that they are the subjects of discrimination because of race, creed or colour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Alexander

Edited by Argus

17 minutes ago, Argus said:

Anyone honest comparing the accomplishments of Lincoln Alexander and Viola Desmond cannot help but notice how vastly more important Alexander was in terms of convincing White Canada of the merits of equality. 

I am not the spokesman for the Negro; that honour has not been given to me. Do not let me ever give anyone that impression. However, I want the record to show that I accept the responsibility of speaking for him and all others in this great nation who feel that they are the subjects of discrimination because of race, creed or colour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Alexander

Of course. He's a man!