Black Rights Activist on Canadian $10 bill

3 hours ago, Argus said:

Do you really think there weren't lots of black people who put up a fuss when not allowed to sit in white areas? She's only notorious because she filed a lawsuit (which she lost) against her fine. Aside from that what? Nadda.

Sir John A was a product of his times, as was she. Let's see, a black woman in 1946 Nova Scotia, what do you think she'd have had to say about gays or abortion? Nothing good, I'm certain. The idea of holding up people from past eras to the moral standards of ours is intellectually bankrupt.

To forget or ignore people from the past who have had the guts to stand up to racism is intellectually bankrupt. But then maybe you prefer the racist past.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it looks like we are going to get a new ten dollar bill with the picture of a Canadian version of a Rosa Parks. Her name is Viola Desmond, and her name to fame comes from when she tried to enter a movie theater in Halifax and was denied the right to sit where she wanted too. I believe that this apparently happened over a century ago.

So why put her picture on a Canadian ten dollar bill? Isn't the dollar denomination bills reserved for PM'S or the Queen? Why not put her picture on a loonie or toonie instead? And why do it on a ten dollar bill which has the picture of our first Prime Minister? That is an insult. There were others that they could have removed but they didn't. 

So, is this just another politically correct move and the start on the part of the Bank of Canada and the liberal government too replace the pictures of the people that are on the rest of our Canadian dollar bills? If so, who is next? There was just no need to replace the picture of our first Prime Minister, and replace it with an ordinary person. The whole thing stinks to me.  

Canada was never the Hell-hole of slavery or indentured servitude; nor were vast numbers of natives slaughtered and stacked like cord-wood as the current themes would suggest. The first Governor of my province was BLACK...even by today's standards. Why doesn't he rate a 10 spot? Male?

14 hours ago, Omni said:

To forget or ignore people from the past who have had the guts to stand up to racism is intellectually bankrupt. But then maybe you prefer the racist past.

Tons of people stood up against racism. To single out this woman simply because she was black is racist in itself. To single her out because she's female is paternalistic. To give her an undeserved award based on the need of progressives to show how inclusive they are is pathetic. 

And to compare her accomplishments to Sir John A Macdonald is delusional.

6 minutes ago, kimmy said:

They had announced the intent to put a woman on a bill, and apparently the most significant Canadian woman they could find was one who got busted for loitering. :(

-k

I'm pretty baffled by this choice as well. I honestly thought they would have chosen Pitseolak Ashoona, if they weren't going to go the obvious route with politicians like Nellie McClung or Thérèse Casgrain.

14 minutes ago, kimmy said:

They had announced the intent to put a woman on a bill, and apparently the most significant Canadian woman they could find was one who got busted for loitering. :(

-k

Like it or not, due to historical patriarchy, there are no women in Canada's history who played anywhere near as significant a role as any of dozens and dozens of men. There are no female explorers of note, politicians of note, to say nothing of military leaders. So it was always going to be nothing but patronizing to put a woman on a bill, and she was always going to suffer by comparison with the men who got there because they earned it. But choosing this woman because of one incident and one lawsuit is really scraping the bottom of the barrel in desperate search of progressive touchstones. Desmond was hardly a Rosa Parks, who was a noted civil rights leader in the US for much of her life. 

2 hours ago, Argus said:

Tons of people stood up against racism. To single out this woman simply because she was black is racist in itself. To single her out because she's female is paternalistic. To give her an undeserved award based on the need of progressives to show how inclusive they are is pathetic. 

And to compare her accomplishments to Sir John A Macdonald is delusional.

Correct. SHE was not a racist.

15 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

Canada was never the Hell-hole of slavery or indentured servitude; nor were vast numbers of natives slaughtered and stacked like cord-wood as the current themes would suggest. The first Governor of my province was BLACK...even by today's standards. Why doesn't he rate a 10 spot? Male?

Not to you, if you were the natives or african canadians getting slaughtered and enslaved, raped and tortured and classed as not human by the british and french government.

Canada doesn't have governor's, we have premiers, the "African Canadian" governor you brag about was appointed by the british because he  passed for white and was mixed race and they thought he was white enough, ironically they only appointed him to be a weak governor because they wanted to blame him if America took BC away.  In otherwords, he was the perect fall guy because he was not "Really white".

On 12/9/2016 at 4:15 PM, eyeball said:

Nope. I've only killed them with an axe, McCulloughs, Stihls, Poulans, Husquvarnas.

These aren't auto-makers by the way.

Better watch your back now because I am pretty sure that the tree huggers will be coming for you, and there won't be a tree high enough to hide from them. Lol.  

On 12/8/2016 at 8:03 PM, Icebound said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-banknote-woman-1.3885844

Does this mean that a certain segment of our population will now refuse to handle $10 bills?

Too remove the picture of our first Prime Minister off the ten dollar bills is a disgrace. If the first PM of Canada was french we all know dam well that would not happen at all. But because McDonald was white and an Anglophone, so no problem there. Let's Just get rid of his picture because the Anglophones won't say or do anything about it. 

This is just another assault on our British traditions and heritage that the multicult liberal francophone elites despise. Poppa trudeau started the assault, and sonny boy will finish what he started.

I wonder where the thread that I started on this topic went too? Interesting. 

6 minutes ago, taxme said:

Too remove the picture of our first Prime Minister off the ten dollar bills is a disgrace. If the first PM of Canada was french we all know dam well that would not happen at all. But because McDonald was white and an Anglophone, so no problem there. Let's Just get rid of his picture because the Anglophones won't say or do anything about it. 

This is just another assault on our British traditions and heritage that the multicult liberal francophone elites despise. Poppa trudeau started the assault, and sonny boy will finish what he started.

I wonder where the thread that I started on this topic went too? Interesting. 

This is my country too, and I think trying to stifle pointing out that we were, and to some extent still are racist, is much more of a disgrace. 

6 minutes ago, Omni said:

This is my country too, and I think trying to stifle pointing out that we were, and to some extent still are racist, is much more of a disgrace. 

You sound like the fake media and our phony politically correct politicians who are always looking for someone that has said something racist or appears to have said something racist. If one is a racist, so what? Do they have a right to be a racist if they so chose to be? You chose to not be racist. No one I believe will question you on why you are not a racist and make a big stink about it. A white person dare not say boo to some non-white for fear that they may be called a racist. There are many good pro-white activists out there, and all according to the media and the politicians is that they must be a bunch of racists just because they are fighting for the white people's cause. Even people like you eat it up. Right? 

1 minute ago, taxme said:

You sound like the fake media and our phony politically correct politicians who are always looking for someone that has said something racist or appears to have said something racist. If one is a racist, so what? Do they have a right to be a racist if they so chose to be? You chose to not be racist. No one I believe will question you on why you are not a racist and make a big stink about it. A white person dare not say boo to some non-white for fear that they may be called a racist. There are many good pro-white activists out there, and all according to the media and the politicians is that they must be a bunch of racists just because they are fighting for the white people's cause. Even people like you eat it up. Right? 

You really must have your head in the sand, or elsewhere. You don't understand the horror's racism has created in the world. Do you approve of the KKK?

On 12/10/2016 at 10:19 AM, bush_cheney2004 said:

This is just another pathetic example of using the United States (American history) to define & elevate personage in Canada. 

Will the note be proudly engraved with, "Canada's Rosa Parks!" ?

This was a good excuse by the liberals to try and create a black hero and make her out to be another Rosa Parks. Funny thing is she finally ended up moving to New York where racism against black people was worse. I guess at the time she was just out to try and make a name for herself. It didn't work out all that much. 

2 minutes ago, Omni said:

You really must have your head in the sand, or elsewhere. You don't understand the horror's racism has created in the world. Do you approve of the KKK?

Do you approve of communism? Racism is everywhere. Canada is not the only country where racism thrives. So get your head out of the sand. There are people who will never like other people. We like to call it hate or racism because it is the sheik thing to do. I want to keep Canada majority white. So, is that racism for saying so? 

3 minutes ago, taxme said:

Do you approve of communism? Racism is everywhere. Canada is not the only country where racism thrives. So get your head out of the sand. There are people who will never like other people. We like to call it hate or racism because it is the sheik thing to do. I want to keep Canada majority white. So, is that racism for saying so? 

Yep.

15 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

It's just pathetic on so many levels....what you have cited, and the seeming scarcity of recognized accomplishments by women in Canadian history.  

Reaching out to a foreign civil rights event in the future to elevate her is just bizarre.   WTF ???

Sad to say but many things about Canada is pathetic. We have had so many Lewis and Clark type Canadians during the building up of this country but none are ever recognized anymore in Canada. And if they do get recognized for something there is always some dumb liberal multicult out there who will  try and look for something to find fault with them. Probably try to find something they may have said or done that appeared racist. That is the big deal in Canada today. We got to get all those bogeyman racists out there.  

We have no white hero's in Canada anymore because most of them were white, and this must not be seen or heard or noted anymore. But thanks to multiculturalism we are going to get a lot of non-white hero's that were suppose to have done lot's of wonderful things for Canada. And white people will be spoon fed about how racist they are if they dare say anything negative about non-whites. This woman may have been very noble about what she was fighting for but to remove the picture of the first Prime Minister of Canada and replace him with anyone is down right deplorable. But, welcome to the new Canada. Sadly. there will be a lot more to come of this nonsense in the future.  

Edited by taxme