Black Rights Activist on Canadian $10 bill

2 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Exactly.  My surprise at the choice is because she is black, not because it's a surprising choice.

And my opposition goes back to when it was first suggested in March, when certain people were mentioning white women as possible choices.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Argus said:

She didn't lead in anything. She filed a lawsuit against her $26 fine, lost and returned to being a beautician. There was no appeal and it didn't go to the supreme court. It was supremely unimportant insofar as ending discrimination in Canada. She is certainly no Rosa Parks.

There goes the ignorance again. Read her story, do some research, and see just how wrong you are. You dismiss her because of her skin colour, you are unwilling to even look at her history. 

3 hours ago, bcsapper said:

I would not choose anyone.  I did not think about it, at all.  I heard that there was a move to find a female for the 10 dollar bill, and I was surprised that she was the female chosen.  That's it.  That's all.  I am not ironing my hood as I type this.

I do not know why they wanted a female. The Queen is on almost 20$ and all pocket changes. Unless she is a she-male and it was kept hidden from us all those years. That would give another twiste to his title... the Queen.

Edited by Benz

5 hours ago, WestCoastRunner said:

She is not Canada's Rosa Park.  Viola Desmond is America's 'Rosa Park'.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/viola-desmond-rosa-parks-debate-1.3452989

There were plenty of white explorers who helped in the founding and building up of this country. People like Hastings,Seymour Vancouver,Fraser to mention a few, and many more, seem to have had their names deleted from our history books. I cannot remember the last time I saw anything from the National Film Board of Canada or anything like it where any of those real pioneers mentioned above have had stories on them told.  I doubt that these pioneers are even mentioned in school anymore. I guess that is because of multiculturalism that wants to give the impression that immigrants from all over the world founded Canada and helped building it up to where we are today.  

2 hours ago, Benz said:

I do not know why they wanted a female. The Queen is on almost 20$ and all pocket changes. Unless she is a she-male and it was kept hidden from us all those years. That would give another twiste to his title... the Queen.

A bit of topic here but I noticed that you put the dollar sign to the right of 20. Why? In the rest of Canada we do it this way: $20.00. Quebec does it this way: 20,00$.

Why is that? Why do it differently as to how it is done in the rest of Canada? Just curious. 

5 hours ago, ?Impact said:

I am more focused on: Exactly.  Not really Earth shattering.  Let's face it, she just got a bit pissed off one day.  That's about it.

The more I learn about Viola Desmond, the more that statement reeks. Why do you feel compelled to belittle this lady? Are you not satisfied that she was violently attacked and hurt by a theater usher? Are you not satisfied that she was forced to spend a night in a male jail cell for a crime she did not commit? Are you not satisfied that she was not accorded a fair trial? Are you not satisfied that she was robbed by the province of her hard earned money? Are you not satisfied that the province ruined her life, and caused her to flee the province? Are you not satisfied that she was given a criminal record that she did not deserve? What exactly would satisfy you?

Are you not satisfied that this was how things were done in those days? It was all considered normal at the time. It may not have been fair but that is the way things were. 

6 minutes ago, taxme said:

A bit of topic here but I noticed that you put the dollar sign to the right of 20. Why? In the rest of Canada we do it this way: $20.00. Quebec does it this way: 20,00$.

Why is that? Why do it differently as to how it is done in the rest of Canada? Just curious. 

It's called French.  

5 hours ago, ?Impact said:

He was a drunkard. If you have any information about Viola Desmond's abuse of alcohol, then please share it.

He was at the center of a bribery scandal, with rich industrialists bribing his party to influence building of the railway - he bears responsibility. In the Viola Desmond scandal, she is the victim. Are you able to see the difference?

I used the career politician and immigrant issues, not because I think they are important but you and others continually raise them.

Yup, always have to look for the bad side of someone you don't like, eh? Surely our first PM must have done something good that should please you, uhmm? Politicians are not exactly a bunch of darling little angels. Papa trudeau was pretty much a communist and dictator and it surprises me that his picture has not been put on one of our dollar bills yet. 

It is just so wrong to take the picture of our first PM off a dollar bill, and put someone else's picture in his place. Some one who is really no pioneer. This is just another prime example as to how Canada's traditions are being changed to now reflect the new Canada of diversity because this is what this is is really all about. Believe it or not. 

6 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

It's called French.  

Visiting quebec today one would think that they were visiting some french country, not Canada. French everywhere, metric, and the dollar sign surely that must give the impression to some visitors that they may have got off at the wrong airport. Hey, you never know. Lol.  

5 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Betsy Ross is not on U.S. notes.   The most bizarre thing is that this discussion doesn't even happen but for Rosa Parks, years later in another country !

Indeed. This bs would not be happening at all. What is about to happen here could be compared to the federal reserve going to remove the picture of George Washington off one of your dollar bills, and replacing him with a picture of MLK. I am sure that this would not go well with the American people. Sadly, Canadians will accept this without a whimper.  

On 12/13/2016 at 10:53 AM, kimmy said:

huh?

whaaaa?

-k

Kimmy, I fear that we may lose this wonderful multicultural society.

===

Leaders like Stephen Harper and Brian Mulroney - even certainly Pierre Trudeau -  understood Canada.

I fear that Justin Trudeau does not.

Edited by August1991

11 hours ago, taxme said:

I have been often confused about if it must be placed before or after, because I have been told two different versions few times in my life. Some people say it's before, others are saying after. So I just wrote it the way it sounds because we do not say "dollars twenty", we say "twenty dollars". That is why I tend to write 20$ instead of $20. When I write in english, the effort of translating in your language takes more of my focus and it is possible that I slip on such less important detail.

You raised my curiosity though and I searched about it to figure out what is the proper use and why I thought it is ok to say 20$. Because I honestly did not know. So her is my finding:

http://www.bt-tb.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/btb.php?lang=eng&cont=075

In english, it must be placed before the number, while in french, it must be placed after. I honestly did not know that myself. I did a quick check on other languages and most of Europeans place the sign after the number like the french. Only few are doing like the english.

I have tried to find the reason for it, but I did not find anything yet. It looks more logical in french than in english. Because as I said, we do not say dollars twenty. If you know the reason why you place it before the number, let me know. I am curious.

There are also difference in the way we write the date. In the short form, in english it is mm/dd/yyyy and in french it is dd/mm/yyyy. They do that because they want to place the number in the same way they say it in their respective language. But both are wrong and the logic is not intuitive. It is much better to use the yyyy/mm/dd format because it is way more logical, at least mathematically. When I program, if I do not use the computer's settings, I always use that format unless the client insist alot.

Edited by Benz

9 hours ago, August1991 said:

Kimmy, I fear that we may lose this wonderful multicultural society.

===

Leaders like Stephen Harper and Brian Mulroney - even certainly Pierre Trudeau -  understood Canada.

I fear that Justin Trudeau does not.

I have this feeling that if PET would have the chance to come back alive just for 5 seconds, he would slap the back head of his son and say "stop making me ashamed".

Justin est un produit de la doctrine de son père et non un intellectuel penseur comme lui.

10 hours ago, taxme said:

Visiting quebec today one would think that they were visiting some french country, not Canada. French everywhere, metric, and the dollar sign surely that must give the impression to some visitors that they may have got off at the wrong airport. Hey, you never know. Lol.  

That is what most of visitors from USA like when they come in Québec. They like that feeling of being a little disoriented. When you go out of your home to visit something new, you usually prefer to see something different that is worth the trip. Otherwise it means you do not like to travel that much. If you leave Columbus to go in Winnipeg, you won't have the feeling to visit a different country as much as you would if you visit Québec city. Coming to Québec is cheaper and closer than going to Europe. The europeans, on the contrary, do not have the feeling to visit Europe when they come here. For them, it is clearly north american. Even the french of France do not feel home when they come here.

14 hours ago, Benz said:

She won't always be there. The next three monarchs will be men.

I am surprised at the choice as well. What she did was an act of bravery and as far as we know a first in Canada, but I think there are women who have had a bigger influence on this country.

15 hours ago, ?Impact said:

There goes the ignorance again. Read her story, do some research, and see just how wrong you are. You dismiss her because of her skin colour, you are unwilling to even look at her history. 

I did, but I lack your fawning infatuation with anything our progressive government does or your dedication to upholding the politically correct.

3 hours ago, Argus said:

I did

Besides that she has taken the place of John A. McDonald for the edition of 2018's $10 bank note. Do you understand the importance of her move and impact in our history? You have the right to think it is not as much important as Johnny, but you do not give it the appropriate honour.

Imagine, you are a black woman and this happens to you:

Desmond bought a ticket, asking for a seat on the main floor. As she took a seat on the main floor, she was told by the manager that she did not have the ticket for that seat. She returned to the ticket booth, where she was informed that it was against their policy to give a main floor seat ticket to a black person. Desmond returned to the main floor and refused to sit in the balcony designated exclusively for blacks in the segregated Roseland Theatre. She was forcibly removed from the theatre and arrested, causing injury to her hip. Desmond was kept in jail overnight and was never informed about her right to legal advice, a lawyer, or bail.

Desmond was charged with tax evasion over failing to pay the one-cent difference in tax between the cheaper balcony and the slightly more expensive main floor tickets. She was fined C$20 (equivalent to $270 in 2016)[15] and court costs of $6. She paid the fine and returned to Halifax.

She asked for a review and she lost. Are you sure you are able to understand the big picture? Our country was wrong. Our country was racist and she lost a fight for her rights against racist people. What she did was VERY courageous and marked the history. She was fighting the system,  law, authorities, etc... in 2010, Nova Scotia give a pardon and cleared her name from the accusation. 45 years after her death. If we want to honour her with that, it is too make sure we understand that it should never happen again.

Picture yourself in 20 years from now. After the 2018 edition, they will probably put back John A. MacDonald on that purple bank note. You will think about it and ask yourself, was it worth it to be so sissy about it? Earlier I was thinking that maybe what she did was not worth as much. Just a stamp would be enough. Then I see some of you getting so refractory making a big deal of it, and now, I understand why they did it. It's not only about her, but the impact on all of us. The values she was fighting for were greater than her. It is very sad that she could not get justice while she was still alive. I am sure MacDonald will do fine if he misses one year edition of the $10 bill.

1 hour ago, Benz said:

Besides that she has taken the place of John A. McDonald for the edition of 2018's $10 bank note. Do you understand the importance of her move and impact in our history?

Yes. It had none. It had zero impact on what racial laws existed in Canada. It had no impact on the Canadian mainstream or Canadian politicians.

Edited by Argus