How Fake News Goes Viral

• 1 month later...

It's noteworthy, I think, how the term "fake news" is being co-opted by people like Trump and his supporters, or the Syrian dictator, to simply deny any news which is critical of them. The pinnacle of this is when Trump says the leaks the media is reporting on or real, but their news about the leaks is fake. Huh!? How do you wrap your mind around that? It seems like 'fake news' is simply  becoming the term Trumpites use any time any news is unflattering, or anyone talks about anything they don't like.

Not the impatience with a CNN anchor with one such guy on CNN last night.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/320249-cnn-host-abruptly-ends-segment-after-trump-surrogate-makes-fake

On 2/19/2017 at 3:19 PM, Argus said:

It's noteworthy, I think, how the term "fake news" is being co-opted by people like Trump and his supporters, or the Syrian dictator, to simply deny any news which is critical of them. The pinnacle of this is when Trump says the leaks the media is reporting on or real, but their news about the leaks is fake. Huh!? How do you wrap your mind around that? It seems like 'fake news' is simply  becoming the term Trumpites use any time any news is unflattering, or anyone talks about anything they don't like.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/320249-cnn-host-abruptly-ends-segment-after-trump-surrogate-makes-fake

That Don Lemon is a wuss. He is such a terrible  I've seen CNN cut so many people off when they don't fit into their agenda.  Remember they even admitted they helped give Hillary as much support as they could.

• 6 months later...

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/uw-professor-the-information-war-is-real-and-were-losing-it/

UW professor: The information war is real, and we’re losing it

-
Making sense is not a prerequisite
-The true common denominator, she found, is anti-globalism — deep suspicion of free trade, multinational business and global institutions.
-Much of it was strangely pro-Russian

As I have posted in the past, the changes may be unfamiliar to us but they are familiar to history.  Martin Luther challenged 'global institutions' with the printing press and the Nazis used radio to spread their message.  Institutions grow upon a media landscapes and challengers are more agile and able to exploit new media and this is where we are today.

There will be a resolution, but hopefully not a revolution.  

From the article:  

The true common denominator, she found, is anti-globalism — deep suspicion of free trade, multinational business and global institutions.

“To be antiglobalist often included being anti-mainstream media, anti-immigration, anti-science, anti-U.S. government, and anti-European Union,” Starbird says.

Interesting article.   I suppose it's just part of the human condition to have the constant push/pull of progress and status quo.  I don't think it's really possible to stop globalism, even with such sites as infowars and people like Alex Jones.  

16 minutes ago, dialamah said:

From the article:  

Interesting article.   I suppose it's just part of the human condition to have the constant push/pull of progress and status quo.  I don't think it's really possible to stop globalism, even with such sites as infowars and people like Alex Jones.  

Let's hope so.  I'm going to do my part and vote strategically, as well as using my considerable personal influence to convince others to do the same :D

Edited by Michael Hardner
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎19 at 12:19 PM, Argus said:

The gang of Hillaryites and Obamarites were very good at trying to stop conservative websites from reporting the real news all the time, and saying that all they come forward with is fake news. Trump is right. CNN and MSNBC are great sources for fake news. They have been caught many times falsifying reports to fit their agenda and narrative. It is bloody ridiculous that when a man like Trump comes along and tries to tell it like it is he gets crapped on. North America is full of joe and mary six packs out there that won't take the time to listen to what the other side has to say. People like Wolf Blitzer appears to be their idle, and will believe anything that guys tells them.

Trump is not the enemy here. It is the Trump bashers that are the enemy. Deplorable.

18 hours ago, hot enough said:

Trump, the world's top liar, Trump the winner of the "pants on fire" award for most pants on fire lies is not the enemy? What planet are you from, Lieistan/the USA?

What planet are you from would be more like it. Every president before Trump were all a bunch of liars and warmongers and always  trying to scare we the people into believing that their pants are on fire. Where has Trump shown us that he is one of those liars and warmongers? Trump has pretty much told people like you that the system is a crooked one and yet you call him a liar for doing so. Wake up, mac. You need to get your priorities straightened out. If anything Trump has been pretty much surrounded by the cabal globalist Zionist elite warmongers who keep putting pressure on him to get a war going with Russia  and Assad. So far he has held them off from getting you and me into another world war. You should appreciate having Trump as president. Hillary would have had us involved in a world war by now. Trump did not start the on going conflicts in the Middle East. He inherited them. Get your head out of the sand.

1 hour ago, taxme said:

What planet are you from would be more like it. Every president before Trump were all a bunch of liars and warmongers and always  trying to scare we the people into believing that their pants are on fire. Where has Trump shown us that he is one of those liars and warmongers? Trump has pretty much told people like you that the system is a crooked one and yet you call him a liar for doing so. Wake up, mac. You need to get your priorities straightened out. If anything Trump has been pretty much surrounded by the cabal globalist Zionist elite warmongers who keep putting pressure on him to get a war going with Russia  and Assad. So far he has held them off from getting you and me into another world war. You should appreciate having Trump as president. Hillary would have had us involved in a world war by now. Trump did not start the on going conflicts in the Middle East. He inherited them. Get your head out of the sand.

Yes, there is no doubt that all US presidents are world class liars, as are many US citizens. They are also deeply delusional, believing as they do in the totally nonsensical crap about the US being a force for good, a kind and generous nation. All pure bullshit!

That doesn't change the fact that Trump is far and away the leader when it comes to lies and lying. 

Pointing to Clinton as a bad/worse choice doesn't make Trump any less of a royal idiot, and of course the top pants on fire liar. You could make a case that Trump is so incredibly stupid that he has no control over his brain and what exits from it, whereas others do. 

19 hours ago, hot enough said:

Yes, there is no doubt that all US presidents are world class liars, as are many US citizens. They are also deeply delusional, believing as they do in the totally nonsensical crap about the US being a force for good, a kind and generous nation. All pure bullshit!

That doesn't change the fact that Trump is far and away the leader when it comes to lies and lying. 

Pointing to Clinton as a bad/worse choice doesn't make Trump any less of a royal idiot, and of course the top pants on fire liar. You could make a case that Trump is so incredibly stupid that he has no control over his brain and what exits from it, whereas others do. 

All politicians are pretty much all liars. Trump is an exception which most people cannot seem to understand. Indeed the American people have been brainwashed into believing that they are the chosen ones when in fact they have been all brainwashed by the Zionist chosen ones who have them believing this. It is not the American people that are the warmongers. It is those that run the secret government of America.

Trump is surrounded by liars. There is not much Trump can do about it.

Trump is a wuss compared to Hillary and Billy boy when it comes to lies. For a "royal idiot" Trump has done pretty good in life. After all one cannot be an idiot and become a billionaire at the same time. Some things you say here appear to be quite incredibly stupid. Just saying. So, are you any where close to becoming a billionaire yet or are you just an idiot like me? Paying my taxes and allowing politicians to keep ripping me off. Just asking.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So it turns out that the Russians are paying Canadian cable companies to carry its propaganda channel, RT. And no Canadian company is more of a whore than Bell Canada, which apparently offers up RT on virtually every single package, even where they don't offer other news channels like FOX or BBC. None of the Canadian cable companies will discuss it, but they're probably getting millions from the Russians to carry RT.

Some of the country's biggest television providers have been accepting payments from RT – the Kremlin-controlled news channel that is considered part of Russia's propaganda machine – in return for ensuring that it is widely available to Canadian households.

The deals are unusual because they represent a reversal of the usual flow of money in the TV distribution business. In most cases, cable and satellite companies pay specialty television channels for the right to carry them, usually in the form of a monthly fee for every subscriber.

But the Russian government is so intent on using RT to spread its point of view in foreign countries that it is willing to pay cable and satellite operators for the privilege, according to sources familiar with the agreements.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/canadian-tv-providers-receive-payments-to-carry-russian-propaganda-machine/article37400743/

3 hours ago, Argus said:

So it turns out that the Russians are paying Canadian cable companies to carry its propaganda channel, RT.

Not surprising, it was reported about a year ago that they are paying Comcast, Dish, Charter Communications, etc. in the US for the same thing. This was buried in the declassified intelligence report on Russia's attempt to influence the US election.

3 hours ago, Argus said:

So it turns out that the Russians are paying Canadian cable companies to carry its propaganda channel, RT. And no Canadian company is more of a whore than Bell Canada, which apparently offers up RT on virtually every single package, even where they don't offer other news channels like FOX or BBC. None of the Canadian cable companies will discuss it, but they're probably getting millions from the Russians to carry RT.

And in the meantime Argus and the Globe and Mail expect me to pay a fee to learn about it. Is that ironic or something else?

Edited by eyeball

11 hours ago, eyeball said:

And in the meantime Argus and the Globe and Mail expect me to pay a fee to learn about it. Is that ironic or something else?

No, it's all just part of the plan. Anything approaching "reputable" information is increasingly blocked behind paywalls, while worthless clickbait and propaganda fake news is blasted in your face. Just another method by which democracy is made increasingly less relevant. 

On 12/21/2017 at 2:30 PM, eyeball said:

I noticed that as well, but likely if Argus is a subscriber (which of course he would be to read it originally) he wouldn't be aware that was a subscription article. I do like the coverage of the Globe and Mail (regardless of their biases), but not enough to pay what they want. I never bothered even to get their cheap introductory price, including way back when it was for 3 months if I remember properly. There needs to be a middle ground in price and quality, but I have yet to find it.

On 12/23/2017 at 11:42 AM, ?Impact said:

I noticed that as well, but likely if Argus is a subscriber (which of course he would be to read it originally) he wouldn't be aware that was a subscription article. I do like the coverage of the Globe and Mail (regardless of their biases), but not enough to pay what they want. I never bothered even to get their cheap introductory price, including way back when it was for 3 months if I remember properly. There needs to be a middle ground in price and quality, but I have yet to find it.

The market is way too fragmented. There are like 1000+ different news sources, and each of them want me to pay them money? Forget even paying money, they want me to have 1000 different account and logins? F that. I'll get my news from free sources. The increasing use of paywalls will just force more and more people to only read their one preferred news outlet, forcing people more and more into their ideological echo chambers.