How Fake News Goes Viral

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

It seems it's because, as you said above: "We don't have media outlets to push our agenda."

Ok - then SOMEBODY is losing money and SOMEBODY is paying the freight.  Who ?  It's your theory - give us the missing part.  If I had billions of dollars to invest, why would a buy a news network and NOT care about ratings ?  Whose agenda and why ?  

Rating are not as important as having sponsors that want to push that same agenda.

You're right, it won't pass but it will subside drastically.  You can't keep escalating the culture wars, and they will subside either slowly or through a cataclysm.

The culture war is perpetuated by what I call 'the powers that be'.  As long as you and I keep fighting each other, they can continue to get away with whatever it is they are doing. And why don't you know what they are doing? Because we are distracted by fighting with each other.

We will have an alternative, and we will go to that.  This has already happened in the history of mass media so it will happen again.

We do have the alternatives,  but now we've seen algorithm manipulation via youtube, google, ect. to push those independents down the line while videos by the likes of CNN that have 30K views gets ranked on the top regardless if the independent media outlet has 500K views would be a couple pages back. If it ranks on views/popularity why would CNN be first?

The central authority is on its deathbed.  There are 2.3 monthly active users of Facebook.

Facebook is also known for pushing fake stories and purposefully manipulating people's feeds with certain articles to determine reactions.

10 hours ago, GostHacked said:

1. Rating are not as important as having sponsors that want to push that same agenda.

2. The culture war is perpetuated by what I call 'the powers that be'.  As long as you and I keep fighting each other, they can continue to get away with whatever it is they are doing. And why don't you know what they are doing? Because we are distracted by fighting with each other.

3. Facebook is also known for pushing fake stories and purposefully manipulating people's feeds with certain articles to determine reactions.

1. Wait.  What ?  Are you saying that the jiffy-mop people have an agenda that doesn't involve selling jiffy-mops ?  What ?

2. Very vague.  We don't know what they're doing because they are making us fight with each other.  Actually it sounds plausible but I don't actually think they're connected.  I think you're right that they are getting away with things but as Chomsky says they do it in plain sight and nobody cares.  They don't have to distract us, we distract ourselves.  Maybe we ARE saying the same thing.

3. If you click it, that is.  But yes.

12 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Wait.  What ?  Are you saying that the jiffy-mop people have an agenda that doesn't involve selling jiffy-mops ?  What ?

Notice how the ads are also supporting a certain agenda of inclusiveness as long as it's not a white man.

Very vague.  We don't know what they're doing because they are making us fight with each other.  Actually it sounds plausible but I don't actually think they're connected.  I think you're right that they are getting away with things but as Chomsky says they do it in plain sight and nobody cares.  They don't have to distract us, we distract ourselves.  Maybe we ARE saying the same thing.

Yes we are saying the same thing. And as long as we are stupid enough to fight with each other, they can continue with whatever it is they are doing. And no all these distractions are by design and designed into all the tech we have.

If you click it, that is.  But yes.

You don't have to click, the fact it shows in your feed is the result of facebook manipulation.

1 minute ago, GostHacked said:

1. Notice how the ads are also supporting a certain agenda of inclusiveness as long as it's not a white man.

2. You don't have to click, the fact it shows in your feed is the result of facebook manipulation.

1. And.... WHY ?  Why did General Mills cereal add black kids to their cartoon commercials in the 1970s ?  It's an agenda ?  Like... an agenda to sell cereal to black people ??? :D

2. If you don't click it, the algorithm self-adjusts and poof it's gone.

43 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

You mean this ??

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/01/politics/northam-blackface-photo/index.html

Jeebus... unlike FOX who shows Parakeets on Prime Time as another Trump crony is hauled off by the FBI... CNN reports this shit...

This year I am going out for Halloween as a straight white male.  That should scare the fuck out of people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...