Trump and Canada

8 minutes ago, TimG said:

The US is a forever shrinking part of the global economy and it will eventually realize that trying to screw over trading partners is determental to American prosperity. 

The U.S. will take care of U.S. interests, and is not responsible for Canadian interests. Please list all the Canadian owned auto manufacturing plants around the world....you know...like GM Europe,  Shanghai GM,  Ford Australia.  

Many Canadians dislike the U.S. and Americans, but sure want continued American capital investment.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

The U.S. will take care of U.S. interests, and is not responsible for Canadian interests. Please list all the Canadian owned auto manufacturing plants around the world....you know...like GM Europe,  Shanghai GM,  Ford Australia.  

There is no monolithic definition of "US interests" so your premise is false. Screwing over some Americans to help other Americans is not necessarily in the best interest of the US. 

As for global companies: small countries are not going host many large global corporations. That is a fact of life. Stating it as if this is something that Canada or any other small economy could do something about is bizarre. I suspect you are just be a troll at this point.

44 minutes ago, TimG said:

There is no monolithic definition of "US interests" so your premise is false. Screwing over some Americans to help other Americans is not necessarily in the best interest of the US. 

Whether there are or not, they sure as hell wouldn't be Canadian interests.   Americans have been "screwing over" other Americans since day one....competition is good.   The province of Ontario has purposely erected economic disadvantages to manufacturing for political gain, "screwing over" Canadians.

As for global companies: small countries are not going host many large global corporations. That is a fact of life. Stating it as if this is something that Canada or any other small economy could do something about is bizarre. I suspect you are just be a troll at this point.

See Sweden.    See Italy.   See Germany.   Troll that.

Canada should proceed with its feel good carbon tax while Trump dumps the Paris agreements.   This will place Canada at a big disadvantage but it can win awards from UN committees as compensation.   Hugs all around....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trump-environment-energy-ambrose-1.3845889

What's the point if Red China and others are going to ignore it? We'll look good in our poverty, I suppose.

If our actions kill-off all humans, the Earth will recover in a few million years...a blink of an eye on that time scale.

Pro-tip: avoid Florida and other low areas...

:ph34r:

On 11/10/2016 at 2:44 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Nothing special about Canada....the U.S. should make decisions that support U.S. interests, as should Canada.   Trump is right about extracting more fees for Keystone XL if Canada refuses to build east-west pipelines.   Canada should pay more when it can't get things done by itself.

Your answer doesn't deal with the point under discussion, but is just another desperate effort to take a shot at Canada. Is your self-esteem really that low that you need to continually do this?

Just now, Argus said:

Your answer doesn't deal with the point under discussion, but is just another desperate effort to take a shot at Canada. Is your self-esteem really that low that you need to continually do this?

The topic is Trump and Canada...hope my president does that which is best for my country.   If that means Canada gets hosed, so be it.  Are you so desperate for continued economic integration with my country ?   Does Canada need to continually do this ?

4 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

The topic is Trump and Canada...hope my president does that which is best for my country.   If that means Canada gets hosed, so be it.  Are you so desperate for continued economic integration with my country ?   Does Canada need to continually do this ?

Wait until Trump hands Canada a bill for NORAD.

On 11/9/2016 at 3:42 PM, ?Impact said:

When was that? I know he responded to a question about Trump with: "I don't think it comes as a surprise to anyone that I stand firmly against the politics of division, the politics of fear, the politics of intolerance or hateful rhetoric". Is that what you are talking about? That is hardly like Trump calling Trudeau "Canada's worst President"

Ironically, Trudeau is just as bad as Trump when it comes to divisive identity politics. Arguably even worse.

On 11/9/2016 at 9:55 AM, Argus said:

Blah, blah...

All in all, I see little good coming out of this presidency for Canada, other than that cross-border pipelines will be given the go-ahead.

Argus, thanks for the best "comment/bad joke" today.

"...  other than that cross-border pipelines..... "

I recall a similar "comment/bad joke":

"...other than that Mrs Kennedy, what did you think about Dallas... " 

=====

Argus, like the supposed journalist who asked Jackie Kennedy about her trip to Dallas, you're clueless.

Edited by August1991

32 minutes ago, Topaz said:

The US  can cancel the Free Trade with Canada but then again it can start over with separate trade agreement with Canada and Mexico. IF any country comes out ahead this way is another matter.

Canada and Mexico can continue with NAFTA regardless of what the USA decides.   Might be harder to drive trucks across the ocean though.

7 hours ago, August1991 said:

Argus, like the supposed journalist who asked Jackie Kennedy about her trip to Dallas, you're clueless.

August, like almost everyone else here, I suspect what I'm most clueless about is whatever your meandering drivel is meant to be about on any given day.

On 11/9/2016 at 0:09 PM, ?Impact said:

The failure has been the last 10 years where we didn't get a mile of pipeline to tidewater. If we were in the position, it would be as simple as turning off the taps and little Donald would be on his knees begging.

The real failure was not recognizing the pitfalls of putting so many eggs into a trade agreement with such a capricious trading partner.  America's meltdown has been a works in progress for decades now and we should have been better prepared.

6 hours ago, Topaz said:

The US  can cancel the Free Trade with Canada but then again it can start over with separate trade agreement with Canada and Mexico. IF any country comes out ahead this way is another matter.

If NAFTA is cancelled by the US, the FTA is still in force, as it was simply superseded by NAFTA.  Canada and Mexico can continue with NAFTA as before if they want.  

5 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canada and Mexico can continue with NAFTA regardless of what the USA decides.   Might be harder to drive trucks across the ocean though.

It's too bad they hadn't invented other methods of travel.

5 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

They have these new things called "boats"...

33 minutes ago, eyeball said:

The real failure was not recognizing the pitfalls of putting so many eggs into a trade agreement with such a capricious trading partner.  America's meltdown has been a works in progress for decades now and we should have been better prepared.

Ya think ?    Does any other nation in the world depend on 80% of its exports going to only one trading partner ?   Or consume so much of that same nation's media ?  Or  depend on military treaties to the detriment of maintaining even basic domestic capabilities?   The U.S. is not responsible for Canada's lack of "preparation".