Trump and Canada

Just now, eyeball said:

Correct, as I said the failure was ours.

Tell us again about Ottawa mismanaging Canada's fisheries compared to the U.S.    Or the energy/economic fiasco(s) in Ontario.   Or the east-west pipeline soap operas.

Trump will have a hard time hurting Canada's economy more than Canada already hurts itself.

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I think you mean "ships"....and Canada doesn't have enough to replace commercial trucking (like so many things).

I recall the U.S. asking just how many gunships we had during the negotiations leading up to our Salmon Treaty.

Ottawa sure kicked Canada's ass in that agreement too.

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Tell us again about Ottawa mismanaging Canada's fisheries compared to the U.S.    Or the energy/economic fiasco(s) in Ontario.   Or the east-west pipeline soap operas.

Trump will have a hard time hurting Canada's economy more than Canada already hurts itself.

You're preaching to a believer.

Canada is already panicking over a President Trump:

Part of Trump's win has been credited to voters in the rust belt — Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania — where his anti–trade and protectionist promises played well with the electorate.

And he'll remain beholden to those voters if he wants to stay in power, says Dodge.

"We're going to have more of our classic border skirmishes with the Americans. The Canada-U.S. border will get thicker. I worry more about a lot of the bits and pieces that make trade difficult, as opposed to a wholesale slaughter," he told the CBC's Chris Hall in an interview for The House.

"This is bad news for the auto industry in Ontario.…

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/david-dodge-trump-auto-1.3845482

On 11/9/2016 at 6:55 AM, Argus said:

I don't think Trump thinks one way or the other about Canada, but I find it very hard to believe he's going to think much of Justin Trudeau, or vice versa. I think Trump and his VP are anathema to Trudeau and his entire cabinet. Trudeau or someone is going to have to sit on his people to keep them from making nasty comments to the media. Trump doesn't forget or forgive. 

Ironically, I think Harper would have gotten along with both him and Pence far better, particularly Pence, who is likely going to be by far the most powerful Vice President in US history. He and Harper share that evangelist stuff, and he and Trump would have respected Harper in a way they definitely won't respect Trudeau. 

This is going to be an isolationist government, and with so much of our trade with the US it's going to be important to try and maintain a good relationship, particularly in light of how vindictive and petty Trump can be towards perceived slights. It's going to be even harder because, no matter what he might say about wanting 'fair deals' in trade he has never sought fair deals with anyone before. He's sought to screw them over. Fortunately, Trump won't be in charge of much, other than as a general overseer. I think Pence will be the guy to deal with. Trump is not the sort to hold long meetings or read long reports. Pence will do that and verbally summarize what he thinks Trump needs to hear.

I don't think Pence is going to have much time for Trudeau either, though. Which does not bode well for NAFTA and other trans border agreements. I think the US is going to get even more heavy handed at its border because of the number of Muslims coming into Canada, and that Canada might also face heavy pressure due to its lack of military spending. In fact, Trump might want to make an example out of Trudeau in this regard. You can forget any sort of climate change legislation for the foreseeable future, which means Canada is left imposing heavy penalties on industries located here while no such penalties exist across the border. Which means even if NAFTA remains we're going to see a surge in relocations as industries move south to take advantage of the lower taxes and lower energy costs.

All in all, I see little good coming out of this presidency for Canada, other than that cross-border pipelines will be given the go-ahead.

4 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Yes, Canada does have the expertise of always knowing how to keep kicking itself in it's own butt. We could be one of the most greatest economies in the world, but all we seem to want to do is settle for last place. A country that has 2 million people unemployed, and is billions in debt,  must be having a problem with it's politicians. They are not trying to create jobs, but lose them. I guess also that if a country has too many rules and regulations, and high taxes, and too many environmental programs like Canada has, how can Canada go anywhere. Canada is screwed. 

56 minutes ago, taxme said:

Yes, Canada does have the expertise of always knowing how to keep kicking itself in it's own butt.

I just don't understand such leadership and strategy, regardless of ruling party in Canada.   Trudeau has been a majority PM for over a year, and Trump won't even be inaugurated until January.   CETA wasn't even his idea.  Why wait for what Trump may or may not do, only to react to it.   Americans do not stay up late to watch Canadian election returns and worry/wait about how it will impact our economy.   President Obama already invoked U.S. protectionism...why wait for even more from Trump to figure things out ?

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎12 at 3:34 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Miserable but honestly true. Just look in Ontario. We have a government bent on doing anything it can to force business out. The Canadian knee jerk approach to blame the US for Canadian economic problems is a problem we have. True. We made ourselves dependent on the US and then we whine about it.

If someone looks back at the last 8 years Obama was far more unfriendly to Canadian economic interests than any Republican President.

Obama's rejection of the oil pipeline was a blatant finger up our scrotum.

Then again a lot of the protectionist measures come from the Senate not Obama. Never before has  President been so ineffective with th e Senate and Congress overthe economy and that indirectly hurt Canada but we begin and end without own politicians. We only need look at the current Prime Minister who has in les than  year bankrupt this nation to a point of no return and the average Canadian loves this sphincter gland of a Prime Minister.

One thing which is undeniable is that if Trump carries through with his expressed plan of radically cutting business taxes (likely) and making it far easier to drill for oil or frack it out of the ground (likely) and ignore climate change (virtually certain) then what we're going to see on the other side of the border is a business environment whereby it will be cheaper and more profitable to set up any kind of intensive manufacturing facility than in Canada. That includes any kind of auto manufacturing. Trump won't need to do a thing to the Free Trade Agreement. In fact, we might need to renegotiate it, because the playing field will be so unequal, particularly with regard to high tax, high red tape, high energy cost provinces like Ontario, that our own industries will simply relocate and then ship their goods back here.

And I don't see Trudeau or any of the other liberals in charge of the provinces being willing to dampen their determination to impose heavy CO2 penalties on the country. That's going to further increase energy costs as well as increase taxes on business, all while the US is lowering both.

Edited by Argus