America under President Trump

Yeah the increase in coal prices may even bring Peabody out of bankruptcy. After all, global warming is just a myth created by China.

Speaking of China, all of the Coal-End-of-Days tin foil hatters should go directly to China and get them to stop burning coal before they shriek about the minuscule amount that Canada or the US burns.  

2 minutes ago, Boges said:

I'm not in either camp.

I'm just finding it amusing that no one seems happy the DOW is continuing to climb. I'm sure they'd be panicking had it tanked because an unhinged sociopath just got elected.  

I for one am happy to see it climb as I have a few measly bucks in it, I guess that means the markets reckon they can handle that unhinged sociopath. Here's hoping. 

I will refer you guys to this article:  http://ritholtz.com/2016/11/portfolio-trumped/

I also highly recommend this one too: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/06/AR2011020600114.html

Will also point out that I have been fully invested during the past several years because my bias is FOMO (fear of missing out). 

In fact, my FOMO was so great that I bought stocks throughout a down cycle starting in August, 2015 (and even was buying Canadian O&G stocks in May, 2015). 

Sharkman, if one were to believe a discussion elsewhere in these forums, was hoping the DOW would decline to 14,000 before buying in. It never went below 15,793 during this period. 

Presumably his FOLP (fear of losing principal) has kept him out of the market until now.  

The key, as usual, is to know yourself and invest accordingly. 

I am not right and sharkman is not wrong for how we have invested.  We have invested in ways that make us comfortable and suit our own goals and each person should ensure they are in a position to do the same for themselves. 

However, if you think playing the markets based on politics is a good idea then have fun losing money. Oh, and read the links above. 

10 minutes ago, Omni said:

Yeah at last count around a surplus of 3 million or so got tired of the BSm but that still didn't stop the EC from putting the biggest BS'er in the drivers seat.

Uhuh.  Look, you're going to have to not assume that people know what you're talking about just because something pops into your head.  What does BSm stand for?  What does EC stand for?  A surplus of 3 million what?  

Just now, sharkman said:

Uhuh.  Look, you're going to have to not assume that people know what you're talking about just because something pops into your head.  What does BSm stand for?  What does EC stand for?  A surplus of 3 million what?  

3 million would be the popular vote in Hillary's favor, EC stands for electoral college in this discussion, BSer is short for bullshitter. All caught up now?

12 minutes ago, sharkman said:

BSm, dude, what does BSm stand for?  The popular vote always gets skewed by California and New York, which is why the electoral college system works so well.  Why should any two states dictate to the rest of the nation?  

Not quite sure what you mean by skewing a popular vote. Has to do with more people putting their X beside a certain candidates name. The EC system is outdated. Not sure where you got theis BSm thing either. But carry on.

7 hours ago, sharkman said:

Speaking of China, all of the Coal-End-of-Days tin foil hatters should go directly to China and get them to stop burning coal before they shriek about the minuscule amount that Canada or the US burns.  

China is such a great example to follow....   lol

When did China become the country to follow with regards to environmental policy???

21 hours ago, GostHacked said:

What charges have been laid against Hillary that would require Obama to pardon?

There don't need to be charges to be pardoned. It would be a pre-emptive pardon to keep Trump from deciding to use the levers of government to punish her if she says anything he doesn't like.

On 2016-11-23 at 9:53 AM, Argus said:

The Justice Dept reports to the president. If he wants a special prosecutor appointed there will be a special prosecutor appointed, and that special prosecutor can spend as much time as he or she wants to putting people through the wringer. Years, if they feel like t.

If he did it would be the first time in history that a President had an attorney general appoint a prosecutor to go after a political opponent.

1 hour ago, Wilber said:

If he did it would be the first time in history that a President had an attorney general appoint a prosecutor to go after a political opponent.

I have a feeling there will be a lot of firsts with this President.

On 11/23/2016 at 9:53 AM, Argus said:

The Justice Dept reports to the president. If he wants a special prosecutor appointed there will be a special prosecutor appointed, and that special prosecutor can spend as much time as he or she wants to putting people through the wringer. Years, if they feel like t.

Ah no, the executive does not control the judiciary. Trump is going in over his head with trying to chase Hillary. He was probably advised of that by now hence he has backed off.

23 hours ago, Boges said:

I think it's because the narrative on election night was that a Trump win would drive the markets down. The contrary was true. 

It is true that apart from the drop in foreign markets, the stock market has performed well and the Dow has increased since the Trump election victory. But, you need to keep a couple of things in mind:

- Not all stocks reacted the same. If I remember correctly, right after the election things like bank and resource stocks went up (expected, given Trump's election promises of dialing back environmental and economic regulations), but other stocks (like tech stocks) decreased.

- Investors often base their investment decisions on short term rather than long term predictions. One of my criticisms of Trump was that his promise repeal of banking regulations would return the American economy to the unstable state it was in pre-2008 recession, which would leave the economy open for another collapse. So, investors are probably looking at the same campaign promise, and instead of thinking "Oh oh, my bank stocks may tank in 3-4 years", they are probably thinking "Woo hoo! Bigger profits for the next 3-4 years. Who cares what happens later?"

Its also possible that investors are predicting that Trump will break many of his election promises, such as his "giant tax cuts for the wealthy, huge deficits for the rest of us" plan, or his isolationist trade policies.

On 11/18/2016 at 0:56 PM, Omni said:

The oligarchs who fill his pockets with money of course.

Putin hates the oligarchs. Putin has kicked many of them out of Russia or has put them in jail for crimes against the Russian people. 

On 11/23/2016 at 2:38 PM, Boges said:

I'm not in either camp.

I'm just finding it amusing that no one seems happy the DOW is continuing to climb. I'm sure they'd be panicking had it tanked because an unhinged sociopath just got elected.  

I am also. Whatever happened to all that doom and gloom about the markets that the pathetic mainstream fake media tried to push? Of course anyone with any common sense and logic will avoid believing what they try to push as truth. That is why Hillary got so many votes. They believed all the lies about Trump, and never bothered to question the mainstream media on why they did not do more to expose Hillary and her crimes, and the things she has said in the past, some of which was very nasty against minorities. 

Anyway, she is history now, thank gawd, and as they say "good riddance to bad rubbish". Trump is about to drain the swamp of her ilk. Maybe there really is a God after all? 

21 minutes ago, taxme said:

I am also. Whatever happened to all that doom and gloom about the markets that the pathetic mainstream fake media tried to push? Of course anyone with any common sense and logic will avoid believing what they try to push as truth. That is why Hillary got so many votes. They believed all the lies about Trump, and never bothered to question the mainstream media on why they did not do more to expose Hillary and her crimes, and the things she has said in the past, some of which was very nasty against minorities. 

Anyway, she is history now, thank gawd, and as they say "good riddance to bad rubbish". Trump is about to drain the swamp of her ilk. Maybe there really is a God after all? 

Yes lets hope there really is a god and that he or she will drain the swamp and clean out the racist bigots like Trump from high places where they don't belong.

1 hour ago, Omni said:

Ah no, the executive does not control the judiciary. Trump is going in over his head with trying to chase Hillary. He was probably advised of that by now hence he has backed off.

He has backed off until the first time she or Bill says something he doesn't like. Then he will get angry and order an investigation. Trump has always been an extremely petty and vindictive man, and prides himself on it.

Edited by Argus