Donald vs Hillary

Who will American voters choose: Clinton or Trump?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hillary is the elitist even though aside from her legal career and stint as Secretary of State, most of her accomplishments have concerned family issues, but Donald was the one born with the silver spoon in his mouth.

I agree though, he is a pig.

Hillary has a long career working on family issues, pro bono etc. If anyone wants to dig a little deeper they will see she has always been a champion for human rights.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We're talking about Donald and Hilary.

Trump is a pig.

Hilary is an elitist.

Those are my opinions.

Jacee, when your child is having open heart surgery, do you care whether the surgeon is a pig or an elitist?

I dislike this comparison because a democratic leader is not a surgeon - but it raises a critical point: we may dislike a person because they're piggish or elitist - yet they may be a good leader.

By most reports, JFK was a piggish boor. Yet, I think he was a good leader. Churchill was an insufferable elitist. Yet, I think he was a good leader.

=====

Jacee, thinking of Trump, if you were advising a naive, young woman involved in an ugly divorce case, who would you advise her to hire as a lawyer:

i) a pig

ii) an elitist

iii) a good advocate

Edited by August1991

Churchill was an aristocrat and soldier who saw action in four wars, a descendent of the Duke of Marlborough. He was also responsible for Britain's first minimum wage, labour exchanges to help people find work and the first unemployment insurance plan. Trump is no Churchill.

By most reports, JFK was a piggish boor. Yet, I think he was a good leader. Churchill was an insufferable elitist. Yet, I think he was a good leader.

I suspect the only thing JFK did was get assassinated. I doubt his rep would be so good if he got to serve out his term.

Churchill was an aristocrat and soldier who saw action in four wars, a descendent of the Duke of Marlborough. He was also responsible for Britain's first minimum wage, labour exchanges to help people find work and the first unemployment insurance plan. Trump is no Churchill.

Wilber, you entirely miss my point: It is hard to decide in the present what is a good leader.

In the 1930s, (and earlier) Churchill was an insufferable elitist; he was largely detested in the UK. Even after the war, he lost power in 1945 and Attlee replaced him at Potsdam.

Yet, nowadays in hindsight, you and many others (whatever the language or culture, around the world) view Churchill in a good way.

Trump is no politician. He's no diplomat. Trump is a loud-mouthed reality show celebrity and huckster, who would fit right in with self-help authors and infomercials. The only reason people buy into his rhetoric is that 50% of them have IQs below 100 and secondly he appeals to the anti-intellectual sentiments that made ignorant hacks like Sarah Palin popular. Trump is way out of his depth and I would absolutely love to see him become president because the subsequent circus will be priceless. He will be Rob Ford with vastly more power and probably less of a crack addiction. Edited by cybercoma

Wilber, you entirely miss my point: It is hard to decide in the present what is a good leader.

In the 1930s, (and earlier) Churchill was an insufferable elitist; he was largely detested in the UK. Even after the war, he lost power in 1945 and Attlee replaced him at Potsdam.

Yet, nowadays in hindsight, you and many others (whatever the language or culture, around the world) view Churchill in a good way.

He was an elitist? Churchill came from an aristocratic family but he wasn't a wealthy man. He believed in the empire but when he was out of government he had to write in order to pay his bills.. Atlee replacing him had nothing to do with him being an "elitist" whatever that means, Brits wanted Labour's new vision of a welfare state after almost a half century of war and depression. They also reelected Churchill five years later. Churchill being an elitist had no more to do with him losing power than Harper being an elitist had to do with with him losing power. The people just wanted to go in a different direction.

Edited by Wilber

Interesting article for our fellow americans....

Excerpts:

Another step closer to the White House for Donald Trump, another loud call to move to Canada from the rational half of our friends South of the Border.

Following Drumpf‘s Super Tuesday onslaught yesterday, many Americans are showing interest in our immigration policy.

Full article:

http://notable.ca/google-searches-for-moving-to-canada-rose-more-than-1000-after-super-tuesday-results/

Interesting article for our fellow americans....

Excerpts:

Another step closer to the White House for Donald Trump, another loud call to move to Canada from the rational half of our friends South of the Border.

Thanks, but as noted before, more Canadians move to the USA each year regardless of an election. Trump expats would hardly dent the balance in favour of the USA.

No matter how this Trump fiasco ends, the Republican Party created the Frankenstein that is now eating them up.

The best the party can do is to get a non Trump nominated and then lose the election.

The worst they can do is get Trump elected, lose the Senate and Congress splitting the party and giving the government to the Democrats for years to come.

Trump is no politician. He's no diplomat. Trump is a loud-mouthed reality show celebrity and huckster, who would fit right in with self-help authors and infomercials. The only reason people buy into his rhetoric is that 50% of them have IQs below 100 and secondly he appeals to the anti-intellectual sentiments that made ignorant hacks like Sarah Palin popular. Trump is way out of his depth and I would absolutely love to see him become president because the subsequent circus will be priceless. He will be Rob Ford with vastly more power and probably less of a crack addiction.

So IOW, according to you, Trudeau Jnr is a more polite version of Trump.

====

IMHO, there is a far greater difference: Trudeau Jnr has never created a job - other than hiring a nanny.

Edited by August1991

So IOW, according to you, Trudeau Jnr is a more polite version of Trump.====IMHO, there is a far greater difference: Trudeau Jnr has never created a job - other than hiring a nanny.

Trump's created a lot of jobs in China....

Looking at the various polls and prediction markets, and various states in play, I would say now that Hillary pretty much has this sewed (sewn?) up.

She will defeat Sanders in Michigan tomorrow and win the nomination because of the super-delegates and because, well, Sanders is no Obama.

And then in November, she'll defeat Trump. She has the numbers. Such is America in 2016.

======

I suspect that 2016 will not be a watershed election as many imagine now. Rather, IMHO, Donald Trump will be the latest failed attempt to "modernize" the Republican party, the American right.

=====

The US Constitution is designed to have slow change: the federal Senate, the state Governors change more slowly than the presidency.

What if the US President wants a revolution but Governors and the federal Congress (the GOPe, the Establishment) objects?

Edited by August1991

OTOH, I wonder whether Trump will turn this US Presidential Election into a Referendum: Donald Trump, America, a Wall vs The World.

Vote for Trump, build a wall, defend America vs. vote for anyone else. If Trump becomes the Republican nominee, he may well turn the presidential election into a referendum on building a southern wall.

=====

In Canada, and other countries, we have seen elections turned into referendums. I suspect that Americans don't quite understand what happens.

This is a democratic civil war; it is wedge politics on steroids.

Edited by August1991

If Trump get's the nomination,I think Clinton will win handily.I do think Clinton and Sanders would both be an awful choice for President.Trump has his share of baggage too.

On the contrary, I think that Trump is playing identity politics.

(We know alot about this in Canada. It's part of our constitution. Indeed, I think respect for a minority is the objective measure of any civil society.)

Edited by August1991

• 3 weeks later...