The Positive Thread

overthere

I am going to undertake an experiment rarely seen here: a thread about the positive.

Kindly edit yourself accordingly!

I'll start.

I happened to be bellringing for the Salvation Army the other day at a local supermarket, a two hour shift on a weekday afternoon. I am not at all religious, and have no particular connection to the SA. But.....my parents liked what they did way back when, and I had time and a friend asked for help....

I live in Alberta, and quite a few people are out of work here. I thought I would collect very little. I was wrong. I was astonished at the generosity of people. There was a big stack of bills and coins in the kettle when I started, and I guesstimated the drop in my 2 hours was in the order of $400. Two people put in $50, including one older woman who really did not look like she could afford it. I thanked her for her generosity, she said " I've been looking for you guys!!". I offered her a little candy cane, but said she had to tell me if she had been naughty or nice to qualify for it.. She thrust it back at me with a cackle and said " in that case you better hang onto it!". She must have been 85 at least.

I thought it would be boring. It was not. I left feeling good about my community. I need to do more and I will.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was Santa Claus at our staff party again this year. The kids were great, here's a letter one of them handed me.

Dear Santa

For Christmas I would like Pokemon Cards & booklet. A remote control Star Wars ship & a star wars guy! I love my family.

I have been a good boy. Thank you

Liam

Even though I'm home sick today feeling crappy, today's "Google Doodle" brightened my day a little.

It's a game in which you piece together sequences of notes from some of Beethoven's famous melodies.

https://www.google.com/doodles/celebrating-ludwig-van-beethovens-245th-year

-k

I was Santa Claus at our staff party again this year. The kids were great, here's a letter one of them handed me.

Dear Santa

For Christmas I would like Pokemon Cards & booklet. A remote control Star Wars ship & a star wars guy! I love my family.

I have been a good boy. Thank you

Liam

Adorable. And good for you. My grandsons name is Liam

I went with my daughter and Liam to visit Santa at the mall. He's almost 3. There was a huge lineup and it took about 45 minutes to get to see him and this was during the week. It was basically a portrait studio with the kids dressed to the nines waiting to have a photo shoot.

And to my horror, Santa didn't even ask Liam what he wants for Xmas. It was all about getting that photo so parents could post them on social media. It's basically, smile for the camera. Good boy. Take a candy cane. Next!

Justin Trudeau has nice hair and is really pretty.

Saudi Arabia has finally allowed women to vote.

ISIS allows women to drive.

Our male suicide rate isn't as high as Russia.

I should have a few decades on this planet before the impending nothingness of death.

Lots of positive!

Snow has arrived in Kim City! The mountains are wrapped in pretty white shawls. The trees are decorated with a lovely light dusting of snow. Fluffy clouds of vapor are rising from chimneys. Rooftops look like cakes frosted with white icing. Everything is beautiful, especially as the sun comes out and makes everything shine!

-k

Adorable. And good for you. My grandsons name is Liam

I went with my daughter and Liam to visit Santa at the mall. He's almost 3. There was a huge lineup and it took about 45 minutes to get to see him and this was during the week. It was basically a portrait studio with the kids dressed to the nines waiting to have a photo shoot.

And to my horror, Santa didn't even ask Liam what he wants for Xmas. It was all about getting that photo so parents could post them on social media. It's basically, smile for the camera. Good boy. Take a candy cane. Next!

My granddaughter's jaw dropped when she found out her Papa was also Santa. Apparently I'm some sort of super-hero now as opposed to your run-of-the-mill hero.

Santa was in Tofino that night so he was handing out sugar-free granola bars.

My granddaughter's jaw dropped when she found out her Papa was also Santa. Apparently I'm some sort of super-hero now as opposed to your run-of-the-mill hero.

Santa was in Tofino that night so he was handing out sugar-free granola bars.

Sugar free granola bars. Love it!!!

Thank you. I am such a fan. Gasoline Alley and Little Orphan Annie are my favourites.

I'm on the hunt for a good source for Chester Gould's old Dick Tracy (1940s era). I used to have a large blue book full of them but I'm not certain where it ended-up. Buck Rogers was pretty cool, alright...he has a few more collections if you go to his home page.

Edited by DogOnPorch

• 2 weeks later...

I have a nice place to live, I have enough food and I have clean clothes. I have been able to spend time with my family this Christmas, something that doesn't always happen. My life is much better than the majority of the rest of the world. The fact that I'm unemployed, out of savings and about to put my townhouse up for sale seems irrelevant when I look at people and families walking hopefully toward a new life with nothing more than a small backpack to carry all their possessions. I'm fortunate to live in Canada, to have been born here, to have lived my life so far from the terror of war that so many people experience. My government, regardless of whether it's Conservative or Liberal, values it's citizens and places human rights at the top of their priorities. I'm blessed in so many ways that I take for granted, and it feels good to stop and remember and be grateful for all the blessings I do have.

I have a nice place to live, I have enough food and I have clean clothes. I have been able to spend time with my family this Christmas, something that doesn't always happen. My life is much better than the majority of the rest of the world. The fact that I'm unemployed, out of savings and about to put my townhouse up for sale seems irrelevant when I look at people and families walking hopefully toward a new life with nothing more than a small backpack to carry all their possessions. I'm fortunate to live in Canada, to have been born here, to have lived my life so far from the terror of war that so many people experience. My government, regardless of whether it's Conservative or Liberal, values it's citizens and places human rights at the top of their priorities. I'm blessed in so many ways that I take for granted, and it feels good to stop and remember and be grateful for all the blessings I do have.

Thank you for expressing so simply and eloquently what I feel about my life, and I suspect many others do too.

I sincerely hope things turn around for you in 2016.

Thank you for expressing so simply and eloquently what I feel about my life, and I suspect many others do too.

I sincerely hope things turn around for you in 2016.

I don't mean to put a damper on any of your positive expressions here, but although I 'get' good cheers and well wishes, these kinds of 'optimistic' views speak more of one's fortune by accident as one looks back on them and not so much to what is real. It's not to say you shouldn't be appreciative as you are for what your environment has given you, just that you don't interpret your own fortunes as proof that all others have the same environments and fortune. I think the best kind of way to demonstrate appreciation optimistically is to recognize this truth and try to pass it forward, especially to those who actually lack the same optimism.

[Okay, yeah,... I was kinda hoping for a present under the tree from you guys! But I assure you that Canada isn't so golly gosh darned all happy-go-lucky with an apple pie and smiles everywhere.

P.S. I don't actually have a tree; But I DO have a backpack! :P ]

Huh? I don't think others have the same environment and fortunes, else I wouldn't be feeling grateful for what I do have. I'm just not getting what you are trying to say here, maybe you could rephrase?

I think what you were saying was clear and well-said. I agree wholeheartedly.

-k