The Positive Thread

overthere

Huh? I don't think others have the same environment and fortunes, else I wouldn't be feeling grateful for what I do have. I'm just not getting what you are trying to say here, maybe you could rephrase?

I am not a fan of the 'optimist' is all I'm saying, not your intentional good wishes or appreciation spoken. It's more of a general comment on the nature of the philosophy of "optimism" itself.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not to say you shouldn't be appreciative as you are for what your environment has given you, just that you don't interpret your own fortunes as proof that all others have the same environments and fortune.

I wasn't speaking for anybody but myself. I am certainly aware that my position is privileged.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw a video of the first annual Manitoba "Kielbasa Toss". The idea is to toss a round of kielbasa into an open topped washing machine placed at center ice in a hockey arena and win a prize":

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/kielbasa-toss-sees-hockey-fans-shower-dauphin-kings-ice-with-sausage-1.3420286

Since this is a new sport that undoubtedly will sweep the world, no particular techniques have been developed although the "spinners" seemed to get closer than the "flippers".

Brave New World!

these Peggers are novices in the world of sausage. This is the site of the worlds biggest kielbasa, outside Mundare Alberta, a mighty iconic Roadside Attraction

https://www.google.ca/search?q=largest+sausage+in+the+world&biw=1246&bih=665&tbm=isch&imgil=iOrZZzDAbhEOXM%253A%253BYaRGa9zQxAY-GM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.roadsideamerica.com%25252Ftip%25252F8254&source=iu&pf=m&fir=iOrZZzDAbhEOXM%253A%252CYaRGa9zQxAY-GM%252C_&usg=__PU9j4PGVzDpZT8shYG_exO8BODc%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjQ1cvZ9crKAhUY4GMKHYxrBWsQyjcIJg&ei=XDSpVtC3CJjAjwOM15XYBg#imgrc=iOrZZzDAbhEOXM%3A

I confess I have made the pilgrimage to Mundare to view this impressive link. I say with all respect that it does actually resemble a very large turd.

A five year old boy in an impoverished part of Afghanistan runs around playing soccer while wearing his version of the team jersey of world famous star Messi. The sweater was made of a garbage bag.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/02/afghan-boy-messi-bag-shirt-excited-meeting-160201072656464.html

Murtaza's brother Homayoun was the one who made the improvised shirt - that perfectly fit the little boy - and scribbled Messi's name and the No 10 in it. "Murtaza found a plastic garbage bag and ran towards me asking me to make a jersey out of it for him," 15-year-old Homayoun told Al Jazeera. "We can't even imagine buying the original Messi jersey. We just can't afford it so, to make my brother happy, I made a shirt out of that plastic bag for him."

A video was taken, put on YouTube and went viral. This five year old will soon be meeting his sports hero.

My last CT scan shows no apparent change in my heart condition and no aliens threatening to burst free.

Whew.

That's outstanding news, eyeball! Both in regards to your heart, and the aliens.

-k

During lunch yesterday I saw an event for refugees/immigrants taking place - not sure what it was all about. A woman with a little girl sat beside me, waiting for her turn to talk to the organizer; her long, dark hair showed some gray at the roots. The little girl was dressed like any Canadian child, and held some kind of tablet that she was playing with, the game characters speaking English. The woman's English, both written and spoken, was good enough to understand the event organizer, and complete the forms without an interpreter. I welcomed her to Canada, and got a huge smile and "Thank you" in return. I asked where she was from and she told me she was from Afghanistan and that her husband/sons were still there. I said how hard it must be to be away from them, she nodded and tried to say something, then shook her head and looked down and away. I also felt teary, and wished her luck as I left.

I put this in the 'positive' thread because I saw a little girl from one of the most female-oppressive regions in the world learning about and experiencing freedom in Canada. :)

• 2 months later...

Sometimes justice works well. There have always been complaints about the American legal system that judges are elected so you do not get the most understanding people making the decisions. There is one case where I think they got it right:

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/04/22/a-judge-sentences-a-us-veteran-to-24-hours-in-jail-then-joins-him-behind-bars.html

Some people should not be in jail, they should be in hospitals for the mentally ill.

My last CT scan shows no apparent change in my heart condition and no aliens threatening to burst free.

Whew.

I acknowledge that this is my own 'positive' thread but I must speak out.

Why must the aliens in your body have to resort to threats to be released? Why must you oppress them in this manner? I urge you to set them free! They have inalienable rights.

And congrats on the good news.

• 4 weeks later...

The heat death of the universe is a long way off. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

-k

It's a lot closer now, because of climate change.

Edited by bcsapper

I started this year in a coma (went into the ER on New years eve with severe chest and stomach pains) and didn't wake up until February. My liver, lungs, kidneys, pancreas, all failed and the doctors told my family I had a 20% chance to live and even if I DID live Id be in the hospital for ten months.

I somehow made a full recovery and was out of the hospital within three weeks of them waking me up.

If you're going to sleep for a month it might as well be January!

I started this year in a coma (went into the ER on New years eve with severe chest and stomach pains) and didn't wake up until February. My liver, lungs, kidneys, pancreas, all failed and the doctors told my family I had a 20% chance to live and even if I DID live Id be in the hospital for ten months.

I somehow made a full recovery and was out of the hospital within three weeks of them waking me up.

If you're going to sleep for a month it might as well be January!

Are you for real? Holy crap. Good to have you back, man.