Islamophobia in Canada

7 minutes ago, Goddess said:

Well, I guess I am the monster you think I am, then.  I'm a "maybe" on a burka ban, mainly for security reasons in this day and age.  There was a burka'ed lady who used it to hide a giant knife in a Canadian Tire store here recently so she could stab people.  And being a frequent traveller, I've noticed burka'ed ladies do not get searched before getting on the airplane, barely questioned or even looked at, which is disturbing to me.

The hijab - I don't care for the messages inherent in it (political support of Islam, denigration of women, "I'm modest while other women are whores", I have to hide my filthy female body because men can't control themselves, etc)  but I suppose if those are their beliefs and they're proud of them, it's their choice.

Well you are entitled to your opinion, right, even if I think you are wrong.  :)

Watched a lady being interviewed on BBC today, her party came in third I think in the recent elections in Germany.  The interviewer asked if Muslim women should be allowed to wear a headscarf and the politician said "No, we don't want that in our schools and public places".  The interviewer than asked if nuns should also be banned from wearing their coif, and the politician  said no, that was ok.  

So, do you think that is discrimination against Muslim women, or a reasonable stand to differentiate between female oppression and a religious garment?

2 hours ago, Goddess said:

Men look.  As women, we get that.

What is not appreciated is prolonged leering after you see we're not interested.  Then it just gets scary and creepy and uncomfortable.  That's what I'm talking about.  

Dummydiver's response is petty typical of what I get when I've pointed out friends peccediloes.

Nobody likes having their shit rubbed in their noses.

8 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

I've been blown-up by the IRA...I'll be damned if some Muslim gets a free wack.

I don't want you or anyone to let their guard down in that respect.  Just sayin don't let them   phackers sucker you into their game..  Its what they want. I am not about to lecture you on a damn thing. Just expressing an opinion.  I do the same phacking you do. I am no different. I am in no position to judge anyone believe me. Just debating, challenging myself included  into watching where I point the gun.

1 hour ago, Goddess said:

Well, I guess I am the monster you think I am, then.  I'm a "maybe" on a burka ban, mainly for security reasons in this day and age.  There was a burka'ed lady who used it to hide a giant knife in a Canadian Tire store here recently so she could stab people.  And being a frequent traveller, I've noticed burka'ed ladies do not get searched before getting on the airplane, barely questioned or even looked at, which is disturbing to me.

The hijab - I don't care for the messages inherent in it (political support of Islam, denigration of women, "I'm modest while other women are whores", I have to hide my filthy female body because men can't control themselves, etc)  but I suppose if those are their beliefs and they're proud of them, it's their choice.

I support your views on the Burka and Hijab and respectfully disagree with Dialamah's and I don't think either of you are monsters, lol.

Then again I thing beneath DOP's crude exterior is an NCO I sure as hell deferred to in the field. I just knew better then expect him to dance at one of those fancy military balls. His kind are too buy smoking cigars and drinking anything that moves. Its a damn miracle they don't catch fire. 

59 minutes ago, Omni said:

I've been shot down by the Taliban, yet I don't hold all Muslim's responsible. 

He didn't say he holds all Muslims responsible. You have to read what he writes. He is saying to me something he knows I get-he's saying in the field he aint about to put his guard down. He said it to remind me why his guard is up. He's no monster. I wish I could explain it but people like him don't hate all Irish because of the IRA they just can't decipher who it is in the shadows.

Its  just a debate I push on us -how far do we go with this vigilance. There is no answer. Too little gets you dead, too much gets the innocent killed and the terrorists exactly where they want you-shooting at shadows.

I have no lectures for DOP on putting his guard down.. He has to hear that otherwise I would be full of shit.

I just hate what all this shit this terrorism t does to good people.  That is all I mean.

I am not lecturing DOP I just challenge all of us not to goo too far  in watching the shadows for shapes because your mind can create patterns that may not be there.

I am not trying to lecture anyone on how far hatred will go. Everyone already knows how easily it can get out of control.

It starts with Muslims or Jews or Christians or whatever and then it suddenly goes from a small brush fire to a damn inferno.

Surely history has taught us that..  That is all I meant.

Edited by Rue

2 hours ago, drummindiver said:

My bad.

When did this huge government collusion happen? Pre 1920?

What collusion? Repeating what you heard again...

And you have a storied history of blaming everything on the west

Not everything, only what it deserves blame for. I don't know what to blame for your inability to focus on what's said instead of what you hear.

9 hours ago, eyeball said:

What collusion? Repeating what you heard again...

Not everything, only what it deserves blame for. I don't know what to blame for your inability to focus on what's said instead of what you hear.

This addresses both your, ah, points. 

What you mean, reforms and developments that were taking hold in other parts of the world? 

"Its just too bad that women in the west didn't have more influence over politics back when our governments decided to go screw over Muslim societies and basically retard the development of women's rights along with the other sorts of reforms and development that were taking hold in the world. "

5 hours ago, drummindiver said:

This addresses both your, ah, points. 

What you mean, reforms and developments that were taking hold in other parts of the world? 

Women's rights, democracy, secularism...developments that were slowly and inevitably reforming societies in various parts of the world.  We'd only barely granted women the right to vote ourselves before we were running around the world overthrowing democracies.  Our ridiculously unprincipled often violent interference often caused these social and political developments to go off the rails and even backwards.  

"Its just too bad that women in the west didn't have more influence over politics back when our governments decided to go screw over Muslim societies and basically retard the development of women's rights along with the other sorts of reforms and development that were taking hold in the world."

I think if more women were in power at the time we would have pursued our interests in a more humane and gentler way and the world would be a far far better place for it today. 

3 hours ago, eyeball said:

Women's rights, democracy, secularism...developments that were slowly and inevitably reforming societies in various parts of the world.  We'd only barely granted women the right to vote ourselves before we were running around the world overthrowing democracies.  Our ridiculously unprincipled often violent interference often caused these social and political developments to go off the rails and even backwards.  

I think if more women were in power at the time we would have pursued our interests in a more humane and gentler way and the world would be a far far better place for it today. 

So, first and second world wars was us running around overthrowing democracies?

As I've said, you blame everything on the west. 

4 hours ago, eyeball said:

....I think if more women were in power at the time we would have pursued our interests in a more humane and gentler way and the world would be a far far better place for it today. 

Guess again....three famous not so gentle women "islamophobes":

Golda Meir

Indira Gandhi

Margaret Thatcher

• Like 2

5 hours ago, drummindiver said:

So, first and second world wars was us running around overthrowing democracies?

As I've said, you blame everything on the west. 

That's what you actually think the words I wrote mean or even remotely implied?

As has been said before this sort of ridiculously illogical reply suggests the person employing it is either sadly intellectually challenged or outrageously disingenuous - which is to say, not an improvement unless one thinks being ethically challenged is an improvement.  I think it's a lot worse myself.

Refusing to address the focus of a topic by pretending to be stupid is simply a vandalizing of rational discourse really.  That said, if people really are just ignorant there's room for improvement

9 hours ago, eyeball said:

Argentina would have still had its arse kicked.

Edit> Sorry, just noticed someone already mentioned Maggie...

Edited by bcsapper

Like I said, if it had been more like 50% some 60 odd years the world, IMO, would be a far gentler place today.  Social development has a rich tradition of coalescing around women's aspirations for greater autonomy, democracy and respect whereas the violent arrest of social development usually starts with squashing those aspirations - especially where they interfere with profit and power.

Edited by eyeball
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

Yes well, notice how few examples of what you guys are trying to base a point on there are.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly.  There should be many more. 

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Women can be just as "Islamophobic" as men...in Canada.

Nice try.....

You don't know women very well.  Put a bunch of islamophobic women and Islamic women together in the same room and they'll be talking about their babies and grandkids in no time at all.  Soon after that they'd be talking about the men 

Of course the thing uniting their men would be the conviction that no good could come of the women getting together no matter what they were chattering their silly heads off about.

• Like 2