Islamophobia in Canada

39 minutes ago, jacee said:

Yes, for sure.

These white supremacists would like to see the hate laws struck down.

So he'll likely want to take it to the Supreme Court.

Why would they bother prosecuting him under a hate law?  This is the reason I'm against them. If he advocated beating me up, I'd want and deserve equal protection under the law. 

2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Why would they bother prosecuting him under a hate law?  This is the reason I'm against them. If he advocated beating me up, I'd want and deserve equal protection under the law. 

What law would you suggest?

He isn't personally threatening a particular individual.

He's inciting hatred and advocating violence against any Muslim.

3 minutes ago, jacee said:

What law would you suggest?

He isn't personally threatening a particular individual.

He's inciting hatred and advocating violence against any Muslim.

Whatever law would be used if he included my family, then. 

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

Whatever law would be used if he included my family, then. 

He's not threatening anybody in particular.

He's threatening a whole religious group.

It's a hate crime because people are targeted only because they belong to a particular group.

That's why we have hate crimes against groups in the criminal code.

The laws for threats against individuals don't fit this situation.

1 minute ago, jacee said:

He's not threatening anybody in particular.

He's threatening a whole religious group.

It's a hate crime because people are targeted only because they belong to a particular group.

That's why we have hate crimes against groups in the criminal code.

The laws for threats against individuals don't fit this situation.

I'm no lawyer, but I'm sure inciting violence against anyone, individual or group, is against the law. 

16 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Do you have some kind of comment or is this going to be it from you on the topic ?  I hope it's the latter.

"And then all of our kids will go to school together, respect each other, and succeed.

That's what's working well in Canada.

The kids show us how it works.  :)"

My first thought was OMG too.  It's naive posts like this that are really worrisome.  Posts like this should indicate to the leftists just how far down the rabbit hole someone can be lead.  The danger is just how easily a weak minded person can be totally and unquestionably indoctrinated.  The only thing missing is "muslim kids and white kids sliding down a rainbow hand in hand".  Staggering.

1 hour ago, Hal 9000 said:

My first thought was OMG too.  It's naive posts like this that are really worrisome.  Posts like this should indicate to the leftists just how far down the rabbit hole someone can be lead.  The danger is just how easily a weak minded person can be totally and unquestionably indoctrinated.  The only thing missing is "muslim kids and white kids sliding down a rainbow hand in hand".  Staggering.

OK, well if you think there's religious division in the schools provide some evidence that provides an overall view, ie. not isolated incidents or anecdotal evidence.

If you want anecdotal evidence, I have it and it doesn't support the view that there is some kind of schism among children at least in the GTA.

On 8/8/2017 at 8:27 PM, dialamah said:

Being "more religious" does not necessarily equal being less tolerant (though it certainly can).   

I agree. However, in this case more religious means more accepting of things like Sharia law and the extremely backward values about women and minorities in Islam.

It is simply not intellectually honest to suggest that people who believe women must cover themselves so as to not arouse men (while men go around in t-shirts and shorts) believe in womens equality. It is not possible to honestly say that a person who is so dedicated to their religion they will cover themselves in a hot, uncomfortable garment everywhere they go is going to ignore all the other things their religions says about women.

On 09/08/2017 at 7:55 AM, Hal 9000 said:

"And then all of our kids will go to school together, respect each other, and succeed.

That's what's working well in Canada.

The kids show us how it works.  :)"

That is the reality in Canada.  

Kids know that racism is just stupidity with a burr up its butt.

Edited by jacee

52 minutes ago, jacee said:

That is the reality in Canada.  

Kids know that racism is just stupidity with a burr up its butt.

Kids know whatever their parents tell them, unfortunately.

Edited by bcsapper

On 8/8/2017 at 7:31 PM, WestCoastRunner said:

Islamist Feminists are working towards change.  These movements are just not being reported on.  

"But Muslim women are fighting back. While despotic governments and extremists battle for power, Islamic scholars, community activists, and ordinary Muslims are waging a peaceful jihad on male authority, demanding what they say are God- given rights to gender equality and justice.  From Cambridge to Cairo to Jakarta, women are going back to Islam’s classical texts and questioning the way men have read them for centuries. In the Middle East, activists are contesting outdated family laws based on Islamic jurisprudence, which give men the power in marriages, divorces, and custody issues. In Europe and the United States, women are chipping away at the customs that have had a chilling effect on women praying in mosques or holding leadership positions."

"While the overall message of the Quran is unchanging, say Muslim reformers, new generations must find their own readings of the sacred texts. As it stands, Islamic fiqh, or jurisprudence, was largely forged during the medieval period, when women’s roles and the concept of marriage and male authority were very different. Why, they ask, should the way that 10th-century Baghdadi men read the Quran dictate the rights of a 21st-century woman? To the reactionaries who charge that these reformers are deviating from Islam, Islamic feminists point out that there is a difference between Islamic jurisprudence—a man-made legal scaffolding developed for the specific conditions of medieval Muslim life—and the divine law itself, which is eternal, unchanging and calls for justice. It’s not the Quran they question, but how particular interpretations of it have hardened into truth. “The problem has never been with the text, but with the context,” legal anthropologist Ziba Mir-Hosseini told the Musawah seminar."

Some excellent readings can be found here:

Muslim Women Are Fighting To Redefine Islam as a Religion of Equality

America Abroad: Understanding Islamic Feminism

Q&A: Talk explores role of Islamic feminism

Sisters in Islam: Empowering voices for change

:rolleyes:

They can work on it..........to no avail.  Why?   They'll never get the same publicity as their western counterparts get. 

BUT the problem is.......

WESTERN FEMINISTS - like some folks here - are lost, and so confused. 

Watching them  fight for  feminist issues like abortion - mouthing off the mantra, "it's my body" - and yet at the same time defending Islamists from getting criticized and mocked, is ............quite a sight to behold.  

It makes me think of someone suffering from dementia.

And, oh.....that pink hat....not to mention, the incoherent Ashley Judd (must be pms) .......

Feminism has turned into a mockery, thank you.

Edited by betsy

5 minutes ago, betsy said:

:rolleyes:

They can work on it..........to no avail.  Why? 

WESTERN FEMINISTS - like some folks here - get lost, and so confused. 

Watching them  fight for  feminist issues like abortion - mouthing off the mantra, "it's my body" - and yet at the same time defending Islamists from getting criticized and mocked, is ............quite a sight to behold.  

It makes me think of someone suffering from dementia.  Feminism has turned into a mockery, thank you.

Well that is your opinion but I'm sure Islamist feminists wouldn't agree with you that it's to avail. 

2 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

Well that is your opinion but I'm sure Islamist feminists wouldn't agree with you that it's to avail. 

They should keep it up.....maybe....another hundred years, they can wear anything they want.  Maybe.......

.......if the world isn't ruled by Sharia by then.

Edited by betsy

9 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

Well, it's hard getting somewhere when western feminists (the ones that has the clout, really), defend the very thing that puts Muslim women down, doesn't it?

Try rowing a canoe with someone rowing for the opposite direction.  Unless these women, - who allegedly speaks for all women :rolleyes: - get their act together, they're simply providing the evidence that women are truly scatterbrains!

Edited by betsy

2 minutes ago, betsy said:

They should keep it up.....maybe....another hundred years, they can wear anything they want.  Maybe.......

.......if the world isn't ruled by Sharia by then.

People who fall into the trap of being reigned by religion curtail themselves regardless of the brand or which dusty old man made book they wave around saying it came from on "high"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Omni said:

People who fall into the trap of being reigned by religion curtail themselves regardless of the brand or which dusty old man made book they wave around saying it came from on "high"

See?  Right on cue. 

Some feminists talk like that when Islam is being criticized and mocked.  Instead of fighting for the rights of Muslim women.....that fight gets shuffled along with things that are irrelevant to the issue.

Anyway.....

It's always religion that's getting blamed by those that are anti-Gods.  They always find a way to make it point to religion.  Never mind the doctrine!  Just religion, period.

And usually, the observation is based on nothing more but ignorance.  Some folks recklessly make ignorant remarks.....thinking smugly that they'd just given something profound.

Edited by betsy

5 minutes ago, betsy said:

It's always religion that's getting blamed by those that are anti-Gods.  And usually, the observation is based on nothing more but ignorance.  Some recklessly throw out sentences.....thinking they'd just given something profound.

I'm not anti God, I just don't buy the narrow minded, man made cooked up version that's essentially designed to make me put a dollar in the collection plate on a regular basis so I cam get to "heaven"

Edited by Omni
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, betsy said:

Well, it's hard getting somewhere when western feminists (the ones that has the clout, really), defend the very thing that puts Muslim women down, doesn't it?

Try rowing a canoe with someone rowing for the opposite direction.  Unless these women, - who allegedly speaks for all women :rolleyes: - get their act together, they're simply providing the evidence that women are truly scatterbrains!

There are efforts for western and islamic feminists to come together. It's an evolving process with mistakes and gains made along the way. I'm quite positive things are progressing for Muslim women around the world. Certainly not fast enough but there is progress. 

Just now, Omni said:

I'm not anti God, I just don't buy the narrow minded, man made cooked up version that's essentially designed to make me put a dollar in the collection plate on a regular basis. 

It dosn't matter whether you're an anti-God or not.  Your remark is irrelevant.

6 minutes ago, betsy said:

It's always religion that's getting blamed by those that are anti-Gods.  And usually, the observation is based on nothing more but ignorance.  Some recklessly throw out sentences.....thinking they'd just given something profound.

Just as religious folks through out statements simply based out of fear

1 minute ago, WestCoastRunner said:

There are efforts for western and islamic feminists to come together. It's an evolving process with mistakes and gains made along the way. I'm quite positive things are progressing for Muslim women around the world. Certainly not fast enough but there is progress. 

WCR, who cares even if they do come together.  Read my response!