Paris Terrorist Attacks

Bonam

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because if even 0.1% of the people we bring over end up being terrorists rather than refugees, that's enough to do in Canada what just happened in Paris. And you can bet organizations like Al-Qaeda and ISIS are doing whatever they can to get as many of their operatives as possible into various Western countries. And setting artificial time limits like "by the end of the year" for 25,000 people clearly means that there will not be sufficient time to properly investigate the background of each individual to minimize the chance of terrorists slipping through.

Valid point, to add to it, consider this:

There are 46 days left in the year, or better yet, ~ 1104 hours left in this year. To bring in 25000 Syrians by years end, assuming GoC officials work 24/7, they will have to process ~23 Syrian refugees an hour, or better put, screen each Syrian every 2 1/2 minutes......what could go wrong?

I think Trudeau owes it to Canadians to look into each and every person we do bring in, more than the CBSA spends inspecting Canadians returning home from overseas for weird meats, drugs and large sums of cash.

I personally don't see Canada's 6 crappy jets as being a significant factor in the fight against ISIS either way. If there's a NATO response then we need to honor our obligations, but let's not pretend that our crummy little contribution in Syria is anything more than symbolic.

Our contribution, combined with the British and Australians, equals that of one USN carrier strike group...hardly symbolic considering the Americans, for a first time since the later 80s, don't currently have a single carrier in the Persian Gulf.

I'm not familiar with the minutia of the NATO charter but this might actually warrant a NATO response.

That would depend if they played the Article 5 card, the only time it has been invoked, in all of NATO's history (since 1949), was on the 12th of September, 2001.

I was under the impression that's exactly what the folks at CBSA were planning to do anyway. No?

If you've ever been through secondary inspection by the CBSA, they spend a whole lot of more time on each person, than the ~2 1/2 minutes that will be allotted to each Syrian, of 25000, to be brought in by the end of the year.

If you've ever been through secondary inspection by the CBSA, they spend a whole lot of more time on each person, than the ~2 1/2 minutes that will be allotted to each Syrian, of 25000, to be brought in by the end of the year.

In a healthy discussion, it's important that you don't just make things up.

Goodale told reporters that security checks on the refugees will be conducted both before and after the refugees begin arriving in Canada.

Goodale said his officials assured him they can get the job done, despite the ambitious timeline. Goodale's portfolio includes CSIS, which does much of the screening work, as well as the Canada Border Services Agency and the RCMP.

More

In a healthy discussion, it's important that you don't just make things up.

Goodale told reporters that security checks on the refugees will be conducted both before and after the refugees begin arriving in Canada.

Goodale said his officials assured him they can get the job done, despite the ambitious timeline. Goodale's portfolio includes CSIS, which does much of the screening work, as well as the Canada Border Services Agency and the RCMP.

More

I'm not making anything up:

There are 46 days left in the year, or better yet, ~ 1104 hours left in this year. To bring in 25000 Syrians by years end, assuming GoC officials work 24/7, they will have to process ~23 Syrian refugees an hour, or better put, screen each Syrian every 2 1/2 minutes......what could go wrong?

I suppose I could have made a rounding error, feel free to correct my math.

Only takes a half dozen organized terrorists to wreek havoc. Good luck stopping that. It will always be easy to kill a hundred or so people.... just ask the British about the IRA...

Ask them about the IRA indeed........the British never proposed withdrawing from Ulster during the Troubles, and still have paramilitary and military forces in Northern Ireland. And being good Catholics, the worst of the IRA never proposed killing themselves to help achieve their political goals.

I could be proven wrong, but I doubt we'll ever see a peace process and ceasefire with radical Islamic terror groups.

Are you assuming they have only 1 person doing the screening?

Not at all (nor do I assume they will work 24/7), but that is the scope to process 25000 Syrians in the remaining ~1100 hours. This of course begs the question, how many qualified people do we have to devout to screening, and how much time will be allotted to each refugee?

Not at all (nor do I assume they will work 24/7), but that is the scope to process 25000 Syrians in the remaining ~1100 hours. This of course begs the question, how many qualified people do we have to devout to screening, and how much time will be allotted to each refugee?

Well, wtf. Clearly your calculations were based on 1 person working 24/7. In other words, they made no sense.

idk how many people they have working, what prior checking the UN would have done, what documents these people were have. IOW, I'm not in a position to stand in judgement. Are you?

Well, wtf. Clearly your calculations were based on 1 person working 24/7. In other words, they made no sense.

It makes perfect sense in terms of calculating raw man-hour requirements, inversely doesn't jive (at all) with the GoC's stated timeline for processing a refugee claim, upwards of three years per claim...........that is the Trudeau governments circle to square.

idk how many people they have working, what prior checking the UN would have done, what documents these people were have. IOW, I'm not in a position to stand in judgement. Are you?

Based on the departments own stated estimate to process a claim, combined with Trudeau's timeline and number of refugees, yes, I feel I'm (like all other Canadians) are in the position to judge.

Fighting is what has created the collective unsafeness.

muslim extremism has created the collective "unsafeness":

We don't make these people do the horrific things they do, and quite frankly I'm sick of being blamed.

If we didn't fight them, they would would have expanded their territories eons ago with no resistance.

Quit pretending they are not following the mantra of the Qu'ran and creating a caliphate.

He does have a point in that oil is their main source of financial support.

I am no fan of the Saudis, but trying to isolate them would be futile. And trying to push for the present regime to be replaced even worse. There are very few democratic elements in that country and they have little support. All the strong opposition elements in Saudi Arabia have as their basis for opposition that the Saudi government is far and away too liberal.

Oh, ground troops. Cuz they worked so well in Afghanistan and Iraq. Do people ever learn?

They actually did work quite well. This belief among progressives that military force doesn't work is silly and ignores history.

What failed to work in Afghanistan was installing a democratic government which could somehow tie together all the disparate elements of Afghani society into a cheerful ball of hugs and sunshine. What they needed to do was put a strongman in place and leave.

This time it won't be some mentally ill crackhead.

I have a feeling that whatever Muslim attacks people in Canada the left will find a way to dismiss it as having nothing to do with Islam, just as they did the last two attacks.

Agreed. The only 'solution' is going back to 2002 and not invading Iraq and since that's not possible I think the creators of ISIS should deal with them.

And in the meantime we should bring as many of them over here as we can, right?

It's a sunshine and lollipop world!

I have a feeling that whatever Muslim attacks people in Canada the left will find a way to dismiss it as having nothing to do with Islam, just as they did the last two attacks.

I have a feeling you can't make an argument that isn't a stupid generalization about "progressives" and "the left."