Paris Terrorist Attacks

Bonam

A series of terrorist attacks including bombings, shootings, and hostage-taking just happened in Paris:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/14/world/europe/paris-shooting-attacks.html?_r=0

Over 60 dead so far. A terrible thing. France has closed its borders and declared a state of emergency.

Figured we should get a thread going on this. I see this as potentially impacting the political climate in Europe regarding the refugree crisis... thoughts?

Edited by Bonam

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the people of Paris are opening their doors to those who don't want to risk public transport to get home.

Taxi drivers giving free rides.

It looks like the hostage taking incident is coming to a close.

After another terrorist attack, should Canada not take more of an active role in Syria?

Too late. The National Defence Minister has received instructions to cease military action in Syria against ISIS. We are pacifists don't you know? And we make cozy blankets to hand to refugees.

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/defence-ministers-mandate-letter-end-combat-mission-in-iraq-syria/

Too late. The National Defence Minister has received instructions to cease military action in Syria against ISIS. We are pacifists don't you know? And we make cozy blankets to hand to refugees.

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/defence-ministers-mandate-letter-end-combat-mission-in-iraq-syria/

Yes I know that. This is what I'm questioning.

After another terrorist attack, should Canada not take more of an active role in Syria? We are not sure who is responsible but my money is on ISIS.

We don't know who was responsible, where they were from or what if any, relationship they had to anyone in Syria. But you'd like to bomb anyway, just on spec?

If we find out that the people responsible are French citizens, should we bomb France?

We don't know who was responsible, where they were from or what if any, relationship they had to anyone in Syria. But you'd like to bomb anyway, just on spec?

If we find out that the people responsible are French citizens, should we bomb France?

As I said, I suspect ISiS. And since ISIS is seen to be responsible for the latest attacks, shouldn't we do more to stop them? We have a responsibility to join the battle to fight terrorism. Edited by WestCoastRunner

Yeah because ISIS doesn't have influence in home grown terrorism or anything.

Canada should do nothing, as winning federal elections is far more important than fighting terrorism. Just ignore it.....

If the world was a fair place where everyone cleaned their own mess you'd be getting tens of millions of these refugees.

Unfortunately the world is not fair and we have to live with that fact.

Yes I know that. This is what I'm questioning.

How embarrassing it would be for a new government to backtrack on such an important commitment. But I say the hell with it, get with it and do what's right in light of these events. Our allies need our help. And who knows, we might be next and need the help of our international friends.

How embarrassing it would be for a new government to backtrack on such an important commitment. But I say the hell with it, get with it and do what's right in light of these events. Our allies need our help. And who knows, we might be next and need the help of our international friends.

I think it would actually look good on JT to backtrack. And he is probably in discussions as we speak.

What difference does their citizenship make?