Trudeau's Committment to Syrian Refugees - 25,000 by Year End

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/wynne-slammed-over-racism-remarks-and-other-reasons-to-fear-for-humanity

Even Ujal Dosanjh is a racist for questioning the time line, you either completely agree, or you're a racist, or a bigot.

It's likely he's just more conservative is all. Edited by eyeball

I like it too. I'd be very happy if that's how all these people approached their new life, but most of it is fantasy.

I remember being at Canada Day in Ottawa watching the fireworks. It was near Major's Hill Park. Not far from me was a newly arrived Lebanese refugee. She was quite literally crying. In that moment I understood that refugees and immigrants may in fact love this country more than so many people that were born here. They appreciate the difference - the life that they are now able to live. They truly in many ways understand what it is to be Canadian.

I'm glad you're feeling all noble. How much are you personally willing to pay to support these refugees for the next twenty years or so? Willing to give up that trip of yours, perhaps?

I'm actually in favour of raising taxes to pay for things like DND and infrastructure. I'm not going to begrudge these people a few hundred dollars.

Sure! I don't blame them for being angry. I'd be angry too in their place. Their anger is misdirected, though. It should be aimed at Arab governments which encouraged them to go on fighting but refuse to shelter them, and make pious declarations while refusing to fund them.

And I don't have a dog in this race. If I've settled on the Israelis as the victims (overall) it's because I've watched what's happened over the over the past forty odd years and made that assessment based on the actions of the two parties.

I've noticed over the years that when the Israelis retaliate they tend to aim for terrorist leaders and bomb builders. The Palestinians just kill any Jew they can find old, young, man, woman, it doesn't matter. A pile of Palestinians are 'retaliating' these days, by stabbing people at random, including children. I find that behaviour indicative of a warped cultural value set.

Stalinisque Israelis? No, that's not all you ever did. You condemned them in totality without a shred of context.

When someone claims to be angry at the Israelis due to human rights concerns it is natural for me to ask why they aren't more angry at their neighbours for their worse human rights violations. No one ever has a good answer for that.

- You're only looking at the last 40 years, how convenient for you.

- When the Israelies "retaliate" they commit war crimes all over the place, the only reason that we don't know more about it is that the focus of the media always shifts to "Terrorism" when the Israelis go on a killing spree. And they do kill children. When 25 rounds of small arms fire hits a father clutching his son that's no accident.

- Google the King David Hotel Bombing, or the Israeli terrorists fighting against Britain in WWII (you know whose allies they were then right? And all we see when we watch movies is American Jews going off the fight against the Nazis). Get comfortable with the fact that the Israeli Gov't is founded by terrorists and that the leaders of terrorist organizations like Lehi and Irgun started up the Likud party which now governs Israel. The Israelis have a medal that they give out to their "heroes" which is named after lehi (aka the stern gang) and national holidays honouring well-known terrorists.

Everything you think you know about Israel is wrong, and they do not deserve the unconditional support and respect that we, as Canadians, give them. Like in any major conflict, both sides share plenty of guilt. For you to be so firmly on one side in this is extremely naive and displays your lack of knowledge and judgement. You are too lazy to look into the facts and yet your opinion is polarized enough for you to justify more Israeli war crimes. People like you can easily enough be convinced to join awesome groups like the nazis, irgun/likud/lehi, or hamas.

I remember being at Canada Day in Ottawa watching the fireworks. It was near Major's Hill Park. Not far from me was a newly arrived Lebanese refugee. She was quite literally crying. In that moment I understood that refugees and immigrants may in fact love this country more than so many people that were born here. They appreciate the difference - the life that they are now able to live. They truly in many ways understand what it is to be Canadian.

Your post implies that this woman was a stranger to you. How did you know that she was a newly arrived refugee? If you assumed that she was, wouldn't that in fact, be considered a microagression on your part? How do you know her reason for crying? Maybe she just had a really bad toothache. Again, did you assume that she loves this country more than so many people that were born here? Or did she convey that message verbally to you?

I'm actually in favour of raising taxes to pay for things like DND and infrastructure. I'm not going to begrudge these people a few hundred dollars.

It'll be more like ten billion dollars. Fork it over, Mr. Generous.

Edited by Argus

I definitely appreciate the difference between this country and theirs. That's why I don't want to bring them over here by the trainload, especially if they're not willing to abandon their primitive and violent cultural and religious beliefs.

- You're only looking at the last 40 years, how convenient for you.

I don't give a damn about forty years ago. I have more interest in Jews being stabbed in the streets of Jerusalem by fanatical Muslims today.

There's nothing the Irgun did forty years ago that hasn't been vastly surpassed by the last forty years of Palestinian terrorism anyway.

So they've slowed the program and only 10,000 people will arrive by the end of the year. We can all calm down at this point, I'd think.

We've learned two things:

Trudeau is a man of his word,

Trudeau is, again, not an idiot.

Three things: the same people who were railing against the original target will be all over Trudeau for going back on his promise. Book it.

Three things: the same people who were railing against the original target will be all over Trudeau for going back on his promise. Book it.

No JT made the correct choice. But what about all the political grandstanding at the G20 when it was obvious that it was an impossible pledge?

I'm pretty confident that all refugees won't all be here by February either, if Government is good at anything, it's missing deadlines.

Edited by Boges

Trudeau is a man of his word,

Trudeau is, again, not an idiot.

How is he keeping his word? He promised 25k by the end of the year, and the cost (excluding costs to the Provinces and cities) will be three times more than he said earlier.

Not that I care that he is slowing down the process.

How is he keeping his word? He promised 25k by the end of the year

And he's getting 25K here whilst also taking into account the concerns of Canadians. If anyone faults him for this and considers it a broken promise, they're nothing but partisan.

And he's getting 25K here whilst also taking into account the concerns of Canadians. If anyone faults him for this and considers it a broken promise, they're nothing but partisan.

This wasn't what JT was saying 2 weeks ago. IT WAS POSSIBLE!!! And any who said it wasn't hates the refugees.

I'm glad JT is being pragmatic here, doesn't change the fact that he was initially stubbornly sticking to his guns in the wake of the Paris attacks.

I posted a status update about the poll numbers and someone said Godwined it by bringing up Jews in the 1930's.

Edited by Boges

No, you said he was keeping his original promise made during the election.....clearly he is not, furthermore, by excluding single males, he's not even keeping the promise made by the NDP.

And the only fault that I find in this move is if the remaining 10k that will be brought in, will also have their screening process rushed.