Windows 10 coming out in July 2015

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I have to sign in with "always-on" Kinect, or can I disable that too? Forget it I'm just going to send Microsoft my wallet and some nude selfies and cut the middle-man.

You can select 'disconnect from the windows account' option and disable all of the reporting options. You won't be able to use some features of windows but if you want to limit what is collected you can do it. Edited by TimG

:lol: wow now Windows is overtly data-mining us, instead of just covertly sending all our usage info to their servers.

Overtly?

Windows 8 wanted to know my mother's maiden name.

Windows 10 let's me work as August1991 (which, Moonlight Graham, I must admit is not my real name and not even my month/year birth.)

Of course, this could all be pretense, but at least -with Windows 10- there's respect. Microsoft, like North American Supreme Courts, now respects who I truly want to be.

=======

And with Windows 10, no Charms Bars (so far)! No weird square blocks taking over my screen.

Edited by August1991

Still waiting for my update. Guess I waited to long.

I declined my emailed offer, then tried an online update. Failed 3x.

So, I downloaded the external USB option. Worked, no problem.

From the USB key, I chose the custom installation and turned off (shifted left) almost all the choices. Windows 10 installed well, no request for a product key, and all my old crappy DOS programmes work.

If you're legal in 8.1, I strongly recommend a Windows 10 upgrade. For me, so far so good. It works, without Stardock, but just a iittle weird.

The font/look is a little too Swiss/Nazi/Helvetica but the system works. No weird Charm Bars suddenly taking over the screen so I can live with the Swastika font.

Edited by August1991

Have just downloaded and experimented with Windows 10. Am pleasantly surprised. When I was using Windows 8, I did not understand about 90% of its capabilities. So far with Windows 10, I don't understand even what percentage of its capabilities that I don't understand. That is an improvement. Is it not?

I'm normally a Chrome user but have been dabbling with the new MS Edge browser and have found it to be great so far. Microsoft has continued the tradition of getting it right, every other release.

Update: Edge is great. I hear extensions will be available very soon and when adblock is ready I think it will become my default browser.

Edited by Mighty AC

With Windows 10, there's a pantload (diaper load?) of bloatware. Progam (apps) that you don't need. I deleted as many as I could find.

IMHO, Windows 10 is even more about selling "eyeballs to screens" than Windows 8. But I can live with this crapware and various requests to login and identify myself. As long as weird charm bars don't suddenly appear and force me to give the gorilla royal wave, I'm - in the immortal words of a senior bureaucrat - good to go.

Honestly I don't understand why people get excited about a new Windows release. I actually dread when I'm forced to upgrade. I've been using pretty much the same functions in Windows since Windows XP, the only difference with each upgrade for me being that they take up more and more of my PC resources (RAM etc.), look a bit prettier (who cares!?), and swap things around so I have to frustratingly re-learn where to find common Windows functions.

Honestly I don't understand why people get excited about a new Windows release. I actually dread when I'm forced to upgrade. I've been using pretty much the same functions in Windows since Windows XP, the only difference with each upgrade for me being that they take up more and more of my PC resources (RAM etc.), look a bit prettier (who cares!?), and swap things around so I have to frustratingly re-learn where to find common Windows functions.

I would have agreed with you - especially when I went from XP to 8. I do not use interactive screens so my experience with 8 was a shock. I have since gone to 10 (by necessity) and am starting to gain confidence in my abilities once again. I am pleasantly surprised to learn that my difficulties with 8 had more to do with the software than with my synaptic gaps and connections.

Haven't gone to W10 yet but if its anything like W8, I'm not doing it! Had to get new computer and it came with W8, on IE browser, it sucks more than W7! I'm venting here guys.... certain games like on MSN, IE stops, says IE has quit working ,just like W7! So I'm thinking is it the Windows or is it IE. I use Chrome for games but certain games, but come Sept1st, Java won't work on Chrome, so its Firefox, I go. On some of the games, some are using Edge but they don't like it have problems, who knows what causes certain problems on certain games. Thanks for listening guy, feel better !! Have any of u have problems with games or the IE?

Pretty much how I feel too. New and improved software is just a harbinger of the expense of new and improved hardware. Maybe if the hardware was as cheap as a t-shirt from Bangladesh I'd feel differently <_<

A couple of handfuls of really big computers we all log into, fleets of cars we google up, share and return to the pool when we're done with them...I'd rather buy things that way, to lower the price I pay, reduce the volume of crap I have and maybe preserve a little more of the planet that has to produce it and deal with it when I throw it away.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just downloaded and experimented with Windows 10. Am pleasantly surprised. When I was using Windows 8, I did not understand about 90% of its capabilities. So far with Windows 10, I don't understand even what percentage of its capabilities that I don't understand. That is an improvement. Is it not?

As long as you make sure to turn off all that data tracking that occurs with Win 10. I would even call it NSA Bloatware.

• 2 months later...

I finally got Windows 10. I assume that because Dubya was still President when I bought my motherboard, it took them a while to get around to writing drivers for my hardware. Whatever the case, I'm really impressed by how painless the upgrade process was. Everything worked flawlessly. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, and it never did. Maybe being late to the party means they had a chance to get all the bugs out of their upgrade process, or maybe they just really did their homework. Anyway, very pleased. It runs ... exactly like my Windows 8 installation did, which is extremely smoothly.

-k

I bought Win 8 when it came out, and spent an additional $5 to buy 3rd party software to customize it, and I found it was hands down the best OS I have run on any of my computers. XP was buggy like a Mexican bordello... Vista and 7 better... but Wiindows 8 ran flawlessly. I'm hoping for more of the same from Windows 10.

-k