First female to pilot F-35

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People fly planes all the time. Even women, believe it or not.

True but they are still a big minority. Air Canada's first female pilot just retired so they have only been in the Canadian industry for a single generation and in the military for a lot less. While it shouldn't be, I think it is at least noteworthy when a woman first flies the latest greatest piece of equipement. It will be a non event someday but not quite yet.

Edited by Wilber

Just for the record, women were flying the latest aircraft a long time ago to help ferry them in the U.S. and abroad during WW2. This included aircraft like the P-51 Mustang, B-17/24/26/29 bombers, etc. In the U.S., they were called W.A.S.P.s (Women Airforce Service Pilots).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_Airforce_Service_Pilots

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/b-29-superfortress-and-wasp

250px-NARA-542191-WASP-pilot.jpg

True but they are still a big minority.

I think it's great that she did this. I think it's shameful that some of us still spend a lot of time in our day thinking about problems that have largely been solved as if they're worse than ever.

It's odd to me that people protest the celebration of yet another milestone in gender equality.

I don't think it's odd at all, as it's not really a milestone of any kind. The F-35 is simply and aircraft.

Just for the record, women were flying the latest aircraft a long time ago to help ferry them in the U.S. and abroad during WW2. This included aircraft like the P-51 Mustang, B-17/24/26/29 bombers, etc. In the U.S., they were called W.A.S.P.s (Women Airforce Service Pilots).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_Airforce_Service_Pilots

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/b-29-superfortress-and-wasp

250px-NARA-542191-WASP-pilot.jpg

The British also had women pilots in the ATS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transport_Auxiliary

Which included this woman. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Johnson

However, women in front line combat units is a relatively new development in western armed forces.

I think it is a huge deal, considering how much work and effort it takes just to become a pilot, let alone a fighter pilot. Not to mention the amount of skill that is required to compete in today's small military.

I was actually surprised however on some of west coast runners comments about perhaps allowing her daughter to become a member of the military. After her other comments about not feeling safe on any military base.

I don't think so, but then, I'm biased.......my own daughter will start basic flight with the RCAF next Summer........something her family is very proud of, likewise I'm sure Christine Mau's family is.

That's very cool. Maybe she will have a shot at the F-35 herself.

Who has done that?

I scrolled up the thread just for you to capture a few comments:

This isn't really something new,

She was born with a vagina. Therefore accomplishment

People fly planes all the time.

The gender/sex of the person seems irrelevant though.

I have a bit of a problem with your constant gynocentric attitude.

Why does her gender/sex have anything to do with it?

I don't think it's odd at all, as it's not really a milestone of any kind. The F-35 is simply and aircraft.

What's odd is that statement. Yes, the F35 is simply an aircraft, marking a ballot is just putting an X on a piece of paper, speaking ones mind is just talking etc... The significance is greater than the individual act, obviously.

What's odd is that statement. Yes, the F35 is simply an aircraft, marking a ballot is just putting an X on a piece of paper, speaking ones mind is just talking etc... The significance is greater than the individual act, obviously.

Women have flown planes for a long time. More do all the time. Great.

Women have flown planes for a long time. More do all the time. Great.

As someone who works in a male dominated field (engineering), I do believe that women still have additional challenges than a male equivalent to react the top of her field. Affirmative action may help some get into the door, but doesn't help you reach the top.

She must be better than most or all of the guys to work her way to fly a F-35.

I was actually surprised however on some of west coast runners comments about perhaps allowing her daughter to become a member of the military. After her other comments about not feeling safe on any military base.

You are misinterpreting my statements. I don't make choices for my daughters. They make their own. If they want to work on a DND base, I can't disallow it.

I just think it's a trivial example to hold up. It makes it seem like every small accomplishment is worthy of huge praise, just because it involves a minority.

It's a significant event, I don't know how I can explain that further. It *signifies*, marks, indicates, signals, reflects changes that continue in our society. Nobody celebrates a lady cop anymore, because that's commonplace.

It's a significant event, I don't know how I can explain that further. It *signifies*, marks, indicates, signals, reflects changes that continue in our society. Nobody celebrates a lady cop anymore, because that's commonplace.

I'll just take your word for it.

As someone who works in a male dominated field (engineering), I do believe that women still have additional challenges than a male equivalent to react the top of her field. Affirmative action may help some get into the door, but doesn't help you reach the top.

She must be better than most or all of the guys to work her way to fly a F-35.

I think there is some truth to that. I only did a couple of courses with new hire female pilots but they worked their butts off. It wouldn't surprise me if they felt they had something extra to prove. For a fighter pilot, to be on one of the first operational squadrons of a brand new type would be pretty close if not at the top.

I think there is some truth to that. I only did a couple of courses with new hire female pilots but they worked their butts off. It wouldn't surprise me if they felt they had something extra to prove. For a fighter pilot, to be on one of the first operational squadrons of a brand new type would be pretty close if not at the top.

I agree, with a great many subjects........flying and learning to drive safely and even shooting......In most cases, when compared to men, a women of equal age and educational background etc, I found, will still be far more attentive and have less of an ego to bruise.

So, are we supposed to go through this every time a woman flies a new aircraft? If we do, then that's more chauvanistic than us who don't seem to care one way or another. Besides, it's not so much an accomplishment as it is an honour bestowed upon her...likely from a man.

That's very cool. Maybe she will have a shot at the F-35 herself.

Perhaps, but she's leaning towards maritime aviation (following both myself and my father), in particular, rotary wing (so either the CH-148 or the CH-149) or the Auroras or FWSAR (C-27s or Hercs)..Second, she's tall/ has long legs and might not even fit into the Hawks/Hornets/F-35s safely.

You are misinterpreting my statements. I don't make choices for my daughters. They make their own. If they want to work on a DND base, I can't disallow it.

All I said was I was surprised, after your comments on another post, about your safety on a military base. And yet your concerns do not transfer to your daughters.

So, are we supposed to go through this every time a woman flies a new aircraft? If we do, then that's more chauvanistic than us who don't seem to care one way or another. Besides, it's not so much an accomplishment as it is an honour bestowed upon her...likely from a man.

Not caring one way or another doesn't mean you aren't a chauvinist.