This week in Islam

kimmy

This week in Islam:

Muslim Officials Condemn Abductions of Girls

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/muslim-officials-condemn-abductions-girls-23623896

Muslim leaders in various countries have criticized Boko Haram's leader for using Islamic teachings as his justification for threatening to sell the girls into slavery.

Religious Endowments Minister Mohammed Mohktar Gomaa said "the actions by Boko Haram are pure terrorism, with no relation to Islam, especially the kidnapping of the girls."

Sheik Ahmed el-Tayeb of the Cairo-based Al-Azhar, one of Sunni Islam's most prestigious institutions, said the abductions "completely contradict Islam and its principles of tolerance."

PAKISTAN: Dawn published an opinion piece that takes Nigeria to task for not moving against Boko Haram. "The popular upsurge in Nigeria in the wake of the latest unspeakable atrocity provides some scope for hoping that the state will finally act decisively to obliterate the growing menace," wrote columnist Mahir Ali.

INDONESIA: In the world's most populous Muslim-majority country, the Jakarta Post published an editorial Wednesday condemning the Boko Haram leader for "wrongly" citing Islamic teaching as his excuse for selling the abducted girls into slavery. Recalling the Taliban's shooting of 15-year-old Pakistani girl Malala Yousafzai in 2012 because of her outspokenness in defense of girls' right to an education, the editorial said: "Malala's message needs to be conveyed to all people who use their power to block children's access to education. It is saddening that religion is misused to terrorize people and to kill the future leaders of the world."

Just trying to provide a more balanced the view to show that what happened in Nigeria does not represent what Islam believes. The thread title is inflammatory and shows that the OP is ignorant. The people who did this are terrorists, not just another day in Islam.

I thought Charles A does not allow topics in which whole groups of people are blamed for the actions of a few.

I thought Charles A does not allow topics in which whole groups of people are blamed for the actions of a few.

Yes, yes, we know. It's not the fault of Islam that ten thousand terrorist incidents in the name of Islam were commited in the last ten years. It's just... coincidence, that's all. :rolleyes:

Yes, yes, we know. It's not the fault of Islam that ten thousand terrorist incidents in the name of Islam were commited in the last ten years. It's just... coincidence, that's all. :rolleyes:

What about the ones that weren't committed by Muslims? If Islam is the cause, how do you explain those? Edited by cybercoma

Or Irish Republicanism. Left/right wing radicalism. Tamil Tigers. FARC rebels. The Red Brigade. The Shining Path.

There's lots of them. Just not as many as those committed by Muslims.

Nice.

So... isn't it true that the Muslims in Western countries who've adopted modern ideas about equality and fairness actually constitute a small minority of the world's Muslim population?.

Isn't it true that among the world's Muslim countries, Turkey is the sole bright-spot, and even at that, the best that can be said of Turkey is that it sucks less than the rest of the Muslim world?

-k

Nice ridicule, complete with the rolling eyes. I guess politeness and respect are not a requirement around here, so why bother.

Let's all just be blatant dicks, then whine about it when people leave and blame the moderator.

Nice.

So... isn't it true that the Muslims in Western countries who've adopted modern ideas about equality and fairness actually constitute a small minority of the world's Muslim population?.

Isn't it true that among the world's Muslim countries, Turkey is the sole bright-spot, and even at that, the best that can be said of Turkey is that it sucks less than the rest of the Muslim world?

-k

No, one shouldn't lump all "Muslim countries" in one group outside of a "bright spot" like Turkey. Jordan, Egypt, Malaysia, UAE and some others would fall along a more favourable spectrum compared to others. Other countries can "suck" without being Muslim at all.

Now look at what you've done, kimmy. You've got me here agreeing with bush_cheney. Thanks a lot.

I was using an analogy with Africa earlier - did that discussion die ?

You failed to explain why Africa, despite being the most impoverished land in the world, with the worst education and least sophisticated people, does not spawn thousands of radical nutjobs eager to murder others over God. Well, not counting the Africans who are Muslims.

Are there other religious groups who commit terrorist acts? Sure. But despite representing something like 23% the population of the world Muslims seem to account for about 98% of religious terrorist acts. Why is that?

Nice ridicule, complete with the rolling eyes. I guess politeness and respect are not a requirement around here, so why bother.

Let's all just be blatant dicks, then whine about it when people leave and blame the moderator.

Are you sure you wouldn't be happier at babbletalk, where anyone who says anything non-supportive about any non white, non Christian group would be instantly banned?

Ok, I take it that we both understand my Alex Jones references are not directed at you.

I don't think that's the case. I think I actually bring him up when we're dealing with that flavour of home-brewed controversy that has internal logic, but not the external kind.

I Googled this...

https://www.google.ca/search?q="alex+Jones"+site%3Awww.mapleleafweb.com%2Fforums&rlz=1C5CHFA_enCA556CA557&oq="alex+Jones"+site%3Awww.mapleleafweb.com%2Fforums&aqs=chrome..69i57.9007j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8#q="alex+Jones"+"hardner+blog"++site%3Awww.mapleleafweb.com%2Fforums

It turns out that you're at the end of most of the Alex Jones references on the first page of results. You were also asked about him by Kimmy and Morris Dancer, not just me. I also brought up the topic of AJ with Rick and with TimG.

But, more enlightening perhaps, the thread titles are:

Texas vs TSA

Hillary Clinton's Running Mate (talking about the Bundy Standoff)

Agenda 21

How the Media Lies to You

New World Order

Is This What a Police State Looks Like

Osama is Dead

Which are topics upon which AJ opines regularly.

Look at it this way in terms of propaganda. And sorry this will be a cross posting between threads a bit. But bring in the Ukraine bit. And the talk of media propaganda on either side. Jones is no better. What once started out as a supposed legit grass roots media guy, turns out to be no better than the regular MSM fear mongering idiots.

And there is one huge reason that showed me what kind of operation Jones is running. As he did a direct hit on the other forum that I moderate on via an article posted in infowars. Calling out some of the information that dealt with Fukushima as 'conspiracy theory'. That kind of set up a huge red flag for me and he revealed his true colours. Three years later Fukushima is still a big deal and even now he is jumping on that wagon. Quite late to the party.

And the poster that put up the info was looking for confirmation, and not really saying it was fact or true. Oh an about a week after that happened I was going to log into my prisonplanet forum account and start a crapstorm. Only to be greeted with a ban message claiming I am using a spam bot email account. It was my gmail account, and even if it was simply calling out spam, I made about 500 posts in about 2 years. Compared to the decade on this board and ... 16,000 posts.

And now he has just turned into a cash making, product selling, service offering machine. He's become no better than the MSM. It's not to discount some of his staff though. And it is also not to discount some of the topics he gets into. The TSA and the problems you see from them do really need to be investigated. But over time Jones has created enough turmoil with his staff and many have left to start other small media outlets. They don't have nice things to say about him.

Sorry for turning this into a Jones drift.... Hope that clears things up some.

They sure aren't equal. Hundreds of thousands were killed in two Iraq wars while the Muslim only got mad and killed 3000 on 9/11. Not to mention how many Palestinians have been killed by the Isrealis? or the heads that rolled in chop, chop square while the US romanced the corrupt monarchy.

Ron Paul said so.

They sure aren't equal. Hundreds of thousands were killed in two Iraq wars while the Muslim only got mad and killed 3000 on 9/11. Not to mention how many Palestinians have been killed by the Isrealis? or the heads that rolled in chop, chop square while the US romanced the corrupt monarchy.

Ron Paul said so.

Stop trolling.

Ron Paul said so.

Most of the Iraqis were killed by Iraqis, and the number of Palestinians killed by Israelis is miniscule compared to the number of Syrians killed by Syrians, or Iranians killed by Iranians, or Egyptians killed by Egyptians, or Yemenis killed by Yemenis.

No Argus, most of the Iraqis killed were not killed by Iraqis in those two wars. And Saddam didn't get anywhere near as many bad guys who were attempting to commit treasonous acts against their country. But you're right about the number of Israelis killed by Palestinians is miniscule to the number of Palestinians killed by Israelis.

I know of an actual story to prove it. The Israelis sent rockets into Palestinian civilian areas that killed scores of women and children. The Palestinians built a homemade rocket out of used car exhaust pipes and sent it into Israel, landing it successfully in Noah's mom's pasture within 200 yards of Noah's mom's milk cow, depriving Noah's 6 month old baby of mild for more than 12 hours!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, the humanity!!! Oyyyyyy!

You failed to explain why Africa, despite being the most impoverished land in the world, with the worst education and least sophisticated people, does not spawn thousands of radical nutjobs eager to murder others over God. Well, not counting the Africans who are Muslims.

Well, since that has nothing to do with my analogy - I don't I need to.

My point was about generalizing groups based on salient factors.

The number of Americans killed by al Qaeda is minuscule compared to the number of Americans killed by Americans.

Do you understand the flaw in your logic?

I wasn't making the point you evidently think I was making.

Edited by Argus