Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

Your thread was answered in whole with the first reply, there was nothing else to discuss.

If the thread does not interest you, don't reply to it. And by the replies over the thread tells me it was something that needed to be discussed. There are many threads I feel that are dead ends from the start, but I don't waste my time with them.

There are people who deliberately try to derail a thread with garbage. I am tired of it. But reporting that seems to be held in contempt by those who are doing the trolling/thread hijacking (different from thread drift in my view)

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you change your mind, feel free to re-start the matter in a 2nd thread.

Why? Asshats got the thread locked , I should create another thread so the same thing can happen? And you know it will. And that request I made was pages before it got locked.

I clearly lay it out in the OP that trolling and asshats need not post, but that all got into the thread anyways. And by the usual suspects. I pointed it out, you agreed, but instead of dealing with those posters contributing to the problem, we get a locked thread.

F*ck it. I give up. I can't beat em, so I am joining them.

Getting back to the thread topic, moderators and people such as CA or Greg are volunteers. They're not making any money to run these forums. For people like myself, I'm also a volunteer. No one is paying me to post, or for my writing.

I have posted less here partially because of a significant number of suspensions and warnings. I consider CA, MH and Greg to be dedicated people who have created something of value. I thus have not stomped off in anger or said "I'm not posting here." But my posting volume here is about 10% of what it once was and for the reasons I gave above, as well as having serious posts responded to be ad hominem insults.

These are my cheery words for today.

Edited by jbg

Really they're volunteers? I thought the mods are all paid employees (CA MH and K) and Greg owns the site and therefore gets the profits.

Not that it makes a difference in how they moderate but I'm surprised anyone would want to take that role without some kind of compensation.

Really they're volunteers? I thought the mods are all paid employees (CA MH and K) and Greg owns the site and therefore gets the profits.

Not that it makes a difference in how they moderate but I'm surprised anyone would want to take that role without some kind of compensation.

Economists call it "psychic income."

That's the ticket, apparently.

Yeah, let the sh!tstorm commence. I really don't think you are the person I should be seeking advice from if I really want to start some asshattery on the site. I guess I should look to others for that guidance... :D

Given that I'd guess this site to be taking in billions every year in profits (truly what our incredibly insightful and groundbreaking opinions must be worth on the open market) how could they not be paid?

I heard Greg is a Marxist nightmare, withholding untold income from the mod squad. I bet they only get 3 figures.

Given that I'd guess this site to be taking in billions every year in profits (truly what our incredibly insightful and groundbreaking opinions must be worth on the open market) how could they not be paid?

I heard Greg is a Marxist nightmare, withholding untold income from the mod squad. I bet they only get 3 figures.

Those ads that you see below the first post are not cheap.

Don't kid yourself, Greg is probably making a great passive income from this site.

Those ads that you see below the first post are not cheap.

Don't kid yourself, Greg is probably making a great passive income from this site.

Seriously... the site is owned by the Lethbridge University and was originally an experiment of some kind... Greg is the Director of IT for them so runs the site as part of his job, he is the project director for this site.

http://mapleleafweb.com/about-maple-leaf-web

Seriously... the site is owned by the Lethbridge University and was originally an experiment of some kind... Greg is the Director of IT for them so runs the site as part of his job, he is the project director for this site.

http://mapleleafweb.com/about-maple-leaf-web

My bad, U of L is making money. The ownership wasn't so much the point as the earning capacity of this site.

Gee, don't tell me, the Christian dog slayer topic has been locked for going off topic

Big eye roll here.

Dog and I were just having some fun so completely unnecessary.

ETA:

Oh, so it is locked because the OP was a troll.

Really?

I thought it led to some pretty good discussion by a number of people including dog, kimmy, etc.

Edited by msj

really? I heard he was a "(municipal) community organizer"... not quite, but sorta like Obama! :D

Economists call it "psychic income."

I call it "mowing the lawn."

Seriously? You don't get compensated for your time on this site?

No. Does anybody get compensated for their time on this site?

I do not get compensated when read the newspaper either nor when I watch my hockey army chase a puck.

What a masochist. Err, I mean you must be very passionate.

I am Canadian and a sucker for reality television.

really? Does he work for... Google's ad-services company 'Doubleclick'?

Google pays the sites that carry the advertising and the revenue potential of a site with regular traffic (like this) is pretty good.

Having said that, CA clarified the mods aren't paid so if that presumption was wrong, I could very well have presumed wrong about the advertising too.

Oh well, life goes on.

Edited by BC_chick

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back to the thread topic, moderators and people such as CA or Greg are volunteers. They're not making any money to run these forums. For people like myself, I'm also a volunteer. No one is paying me to post, or for my writing.

I have posted less here partially because of a significant number of suspensions and warnings. I consider CA, MH and Greg to be dedicated people who have created something of value. I thus have not stomped off in anger or said "I'm not posting here." But my posting volume here is about 10% of what it once was and for the reasons I gave above, as well as having serious posts responded to be ad hominem insults.

These are my cheery words for today.

I agree. The moderators job in impossible. No one is going to be pleased, especially if they cannot get the last shot in.

I am slowly learning the parameters. If warning points were soccer players I could field a full team.