Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

And yet you decided that his post regarding GOT was offensive..........because he spoiled something for other people.......for a tv show.......about wizards and dragons and stuff........

In my opinion, your response would have been justified, if for example Shady's post had of made use of racial slurs against elves or sexist comments directed towards pixies and witches........barring that, in my view, and I'll gladly await word from the Mountain top (not a GOT spoiler) from Greg, you abused your "authoritah" over a spoiled tv show.......

His post was removed because it was going to ruin a major surprise for other members of the forum who watch the show-- and there are many of us.

Grow up.

IMO the people who are crying because their little buddy's status update was removed should grow up. And the guy who stormed off the board in outrage over it should grow up. If you're so hypersensitive that having your 5-word long status update removed is a traumatic event in your life, maybe you should seek psychological help. Maybe you're just not cut out for the internet.

-k

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the issue....there is no consistency here...it is a "bolt out of the blue" because somebody with super powers really likes GoT.

Agreed, if updates containing plot devices of tv shows about wizards buggering their siblings are to be deleted on the whim of the moderating staff.........what's next? Forum bans for posting results from live election coverage nights?

Agreed 100%.......we have a thread regarding GOT, that Kimmy posts in (which is fine).....if spoilers are now to be moderated, does she decide when the show can now be spoiled?

People who go to the thread get spoilers. If you don't want spoilers, you don't click on the thread. It's not complicated. Putting spoilers in plain view is considered rude everywhere on the internet.

-k

So what ? Who appointed you as the Protector of Surprises ?

I've been appointed a protector of courtesy here. If you don't like it, vote with your feet. If you don't like the job I'm doing, complain to Charles and Michael. I won't apologize. I will do the same again.

-k

I've been appointed a protector of courtesy here. If you don't like it, vote with your feet. If you don't like the job I'm doing, complain to Charles and Michael. I won't apologize. I will do the same again.

Courtesy has nothing to do with preserving surprises about American serial programming on cable television.

His post was removed because it was going to ruin a major surprise for other members of the forum who watch the show-- and there are many of us.

Is their a section within the forum rules covering GOT spoilers?

IMO the people who are crying because their little buddy's status update was removed should grow up. And the guy who stormed off the board in outrage over it should grow up. If you're so hypersensitive that having your 5-word long status update removed is a traumatic event in your life, maybe you should seek psychological help. Maybe you're just not cut out for the internet.

-k

I'm not crying at all, I don't read most of Shady's posts, nor do I care about wizards.......but I do care about discourse on this site, like all people that post here, and in this case, you, a member of the moderating team, abused your "powers" because Shady posted a spoiler for a tv show you like........Though I've had my disagreements with Charles and Micheal, I've never got the sense that they arbitrarily abused their powers over a tv show.......

-k

I think thats the point of this thread.....and the crux of this conversation encompassing your wizard shows and little buddy ruining the lives of fans of a tv show.........and you being pissed off and abusing your "powers"

Edited by Derek 2.0

I think thats the point of this thread.....and the crux of this conversation encompassing your wizard shows and little buddy ruining the lives of fans of a tv show.........and you being pissed of and abusing your "powers"

Yep..that be it....as if "apologizing" would be a major diplomatic event and concession to the unwashed spoilers. I think we have a power trip in progress....

Yep..that be it....as if "apologizing" would be a major diplomatic event and concession to the unwashed spoilers. I think we have a power trip in progress....

Watch it.........she just turned me into a Newt ;)

.......but I do care about discourse on this site, like all people that post here, and in this case, you, a member of the moderating team, abused your "powers" because Shady posted a spoiler for a tv show you like........Though I've had my disagreements with Charles and Micheal, I've never got the sense that they arbitrarily abused their powers over a tv show.......

get a grip... you don't wear the counter-rebellious cap well, at all! It was a azzhole move to put forward a spoiler; your attempt to question the MLW Board Facilitator's response is equally azzholy! If you want to rationalize the ShadyAct as just "enthusiasm', that same enthusiasm could have been led with a spoiler alert.

get a grip... you don't wear the counter-rebellious cap well, at all! It was a azzhole move to put forward a spoiler; your attempt to question the MLW Board Facilitator's response is equally azzholy! If you want to rationalize the ShadyAct as just "enthusiasm', that same enthusiasm could have been led with a spoiler alert.

Is there rules that suggest all threads, posts and status updates require a "spoiler alert" and in not doing, one can expect moderator (overre)action?

Is their a section within the forum rules covering GOT spoilers?

There's a section relating to courtesy. Moonlight posted it earlier.

I'm not crying at all, I don't read most of Shady's posts, nor do I care about wizards.......but I do care about discourse on this site, like all people that post here, and in this case, you, a member of the moderating team, abused your "powers" because Shady posted a spoiler for a tv show you like........Though I've had my disagreements with Charles and Micheal, I've never got the sense that they arbitrarily abused their powers over a tv show.......

As I said, I wasn't the first one to notice. Another member had already posted an angry response to Shady before I got there, and considering the number of other GoT fans on the site, I decided that they need not similarly have their surprise ruined by Shady's inconsiderate post. Shady already got at least 2 of us, there was no need for more. I got nothing personally from deleting Shady's update. My surprise was already ruined. I was hoping to stop that from happening to others.

It was an extremely easy call.

Would I have done it if I wasn't familiar with the show? Well, because I do follow this show, I immediately knew that Shady had dropped a huge bomb. I wouldn't know that if it had been a show I don't follow, like The Walking Dead. I might not have known it was a spoiler at all. Likewise, we don't have a huge Walking Dead thread on this forum, so I wouldn't know that people are emotionally invested in the subject. But if somebody sent me a message saying "Shady just posted a huge Walking Dead spoiler on the front page! It'll ruin tonight's show for people!" then I'd take action.

I didn't do anything about BC2004's X-Men spoiler because the movie has already been out for weeks and I figured that everybody who cared much has probably already seen it. That's not the case with Shady's spoiler tonight, which was up before the show even finished.

-k

I just caucused with Henry Kissinger and he has proposed the following compromise:

1) All status update spoilers will be prefaced with a SPOILER ALERT header posting.

2) The actual spoiler content must be delayed to a second status update post.

3) Sensitive members can choose to ignore the status update or click on subsequent responses

4) This solution with preserve surprises and maintain world peace.

Do I get a cookie ?

Is there rules that suggest all threads, posts and status updates require a "spoiler alert" and in not doing, one can expect moderator (overre)action?

the only overreaction is yours! Don't bother trying to interpret the Shady rationale for doing so... state your rationale for believing it appropriate to put forward a spoiler... on anything?

....I didn't do anything about BC2004's X-Men spoiler because the movie has already been out for weeks and I figured that everybody who cared much has probably already seen it. That's not the case with Shady's spoiler tonight, which was up before the show even finished.

Nonsense...the plot lines are already documented online and hyped in media. The affront to another member protected nothing.

Spoiler Alert: You're An Idiot

Which of these two scenarios seems more likely:

A/ Everyone who has seen the show avoids talking about it in detail for several hours.

B/ One person who wants to avoid spoilers avoids Twitter/Facebook/Reddit until they watch the show.

If you picked A, you're an idiot. And probably something of a selfish prick. Those entitled, West Coast a-holes who believe the world revolves around the 310 area code. The internet is a virtual minefield of spoilers. Only the idiots of this world would rage against the reality of people running to social media the moment they realized Everybody Ate Chris. The internet has not just become an outlet for discussions on film and television, but a synergistic partner. People enjoy discussing the shows as much as watching them. Its a virtual water cooler and people are going to gather and start talking the minute the credits roll.

Edited by Bryan