Boeing 777 Disappears Near Vietnam

Big Guy

The usual flight path from Pearson to Hong Kong (and vise versa) is directly north to the north pole then directly south, flying over Siberia.

I think that might be due to the new situation with Russia in Ukraine and Crimea. But even if it is 1.5 hrs shorter, why had that not been the case always? Airlines hate wasting fuel/time.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is really strange that there has been no debris found yet, if the aircaraft exploded there should be debris all over, if it impacted with the ocean at speed there should be debris, if it went down one way or another it must not be where they think it is, but by now i would have expected the search to have been expanded enough to have found something. In aviation terms this isn't in the middle of nowhere.

All planes are equipped with transponders and send out a signal on a impact. Something that should always be connected and talking to a GPS satellite. It's the plane's identifier. When I did flying lessons, my instructor had to check the transponder to see if it went off because of my hard landing.

But you are right, where is the debris? There has to be at least SOME debris. Recall that plane that went down in the Florida everglades? There was some debris there along with oil slicks, but they could not recover much of the aircraft as it just burrowed into the muddy bottom.

If there was an explosion, it may have been caught by other planes or possible seen by ships on the ocean.

I think that might be due to the new situation with Russia in Ukraine and Crimea. But even if it is 1.5 hrs shorter, why had that not been the case always? Airlines hate wasting fuel/time.

After thinking about all the times I have taken this route, there was another flight that took a rout over the pacific from Japan to California then to Toronto.

It may have to do with the weather/storms/head winds/tail winds or jet streams?

But the fast flight has me very puzzled?

I always assumed that pushing the plane to hard would cause additional stresses leading to increase risk and maintenance costs

WWWTT

I always assumed that pushing the plane to hard would cause additional stresses leading to increase risk and maintenance costs

WWWTT

Pushing the plane hard will cause stresses, but most are designed to withstand short bursts of excessive Gs. It's the moving parts that get damaged the most. Landing gear take a lot of abuse.

Just heard from OMNI news Cantonese (wife is fluent in both Mandarin and Cantonese) that there are now another two stolen passports used totaling four (not sure if stole or missing reported).

Also Taiwan authorities have received a terrorist threat affecting a direct flight from Beijing to Taiwan and Beijing is looking to any possible connection to the current Malaysia flight.

Starting to look more like an act of violence perpetuated by a fringe group.

WWWTT

Reminds me of the incident of the Korean plane which the Soviets shot down for fear of the plane being on a spy-mission. I guess the bad publicity the Russians got for shooting down a plane full of innocent civilians was one reason why some years later Mathias Rust was able to fly unhindered to the Red Square in Moscow with his Cessna.

All planes are equipped with transponders and send out a signal on a impact. Something that should always be connected and talking to a GPS satellite. It's the plane's identifier. When I did flying lessons, my instructor had to check the transponder to see if it went off because of my hard landing.

But you are right, where is the debris? There has to be at least SOME debris. Recall that plane that went down in the Florida everglades? There was some debris there along with oil slicks, but they could not recover much of the aircraft as it just burrowed into the muddy bottom.

If there was an explosion, it may have been caught by other planes or possible seen by ships on the ocean.

Slight correction: the device your instructor was checking is the ELT which is normally "armed" but does not send a signal until you hit it a 3g or more whack, which you're right you can do with a hard landing, at which time it does start to xmit. Transponders transmit all the while you are in flight to "speak" to any radar that happens to be in range. Old Elt's xmitted on VHF, the newer ones on 406 freq. directly to satellite, either SARSAT, or COSPAS and provide position as well as other information (ie type, owner, etc) It seems in this case whatever did happen was so catastrophic as to render all that equipment U/S at the moment it occured. Obviously the remains of the flight, both man and man made are somewhere in the chuck but the signifigance of the event may have rendered the pieces pretty small. I would bet the engines are likely to be the most intact leftovers.

Looks like this disaster is shaping into the most controversial since 9/11.

Here are a couple links worth a look!

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-passengers-mobile-phones-ring-not-answered-1439560

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/10/malaysia-airlines-plane-mystery-disappear-off-radar

I find it very odd that the cell phones of some on board are ringing but only hanging up???

WWWTT

Reminds me of the incident of the Korean plane which the Soviets shot down for fear of the plane being on a spy-mission. I guess the bad publicity the Russians got for shooting down a plane full of innocent civilians was one reason why some years later Mathias Rust was able to fly unhindered to the Red Square in Moscow with his Cessna.

I remember that. Mole Cricket 19 (with its 80+:0 kill ratio) from around the same period was another nail in the coffin. If the Soviet's top shelf machinery fell so easily...what of the old axiom quantity over quality?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mole_Cricket_19

With the amount of satellites in that area and keep in mind you have over 10 countries with South Korea, Japan, Taiwan very advanced countries with air technology not to mention the US Air operations in that area, the notion of shooting down a passenger jet not coming to their attention would be remote. Everyone knows who is scambling what so to speak. Everyone has an eye on everyone else's air force.

Just released from Interpol-two Iranians with fake passports on the flight....

I think terrorists picked Kuala Lumpur after first scouting its security.

Just released from Interpol-two Iranians with fake passports on the flight....

I think terrorists picked Kuala Lumpur after first scouting its security.

Do you have a link to post to support what you are thinking?

Just because someone is of a certain nationality does not mean they are prone to commit suicide.

Nor is some ones nationality evidence that they committed a crime therefore your analysis is wrong and probably biased anti Arab.

You may still be right, but for the time being you are wrong.

http://ri.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEViNFAR9THU4AkdYXFwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMG04Z2o2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1394569670/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.mirror.co.uk%2fnews%2fworld-news%2fmissing-malaysia-airlines-flight-live-3219331/RK=0/RS=MYXxJS4V.T0uqpugMto1YSBswRQ-

I find it hard to believe that a few young people with no known flight experience of a commercial airliner can in any way do this.

From what I have read, it looks like every air crash has its own signature sequence of events and influence.

Odds are still on pilot/crew error or mechanical failure. Until proven otherwise that will probably be the conclusion.

WWWTT

Furthermore, why would an Iranian national attack a country that supports trade with Iran????

No, you're definitely wrong, and this new evidence (my opinion at this time sequence and information) will probably evaporate the violent act theories.

I expect the focus to shift to the plane and crew itself. After all, they have the most direct influence.

WWWTT

Apparently Cellphones are still ringing when called by relatives. I think Aliens are involved. :wacko:

I provided the link above

According to news-reports the Iranians were heading for Sweden. A relative of one if them who is living in Sweden has confirmed this.

Please provide the link.

I posted the link stating that the mother of a 19 yr old Iranian is in Frankfurt Germany and was waiting for him. She is co operating with police and I am sure is filled with horrible grief and sadness!

I will send more links in as they come forward.

WWWTT

Edited by WWWTT

Looks like this disaster is shaping into the most controversial since 9/11.

Here are a couple links worth a look!

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-passengers-mobile-phones-ring-not-answered-1439560

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/10/malaysia-airlines-plane-mystery-disappear-off-radar

I find it very odd that the cell phones of some on board are ringing but only hanging up???

WWWTT

May have been the case some years ago if a cell is out of range or off then you get 'the customer is not available'.... instead now it may go straight to a voice mail, or just keep ringing. Not exactly sure.

Here's a good link I found.

http://t.news.ca.msn.com/world/malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-mystery-compounded-by-mystery

Can't find any link about there being more than 2 passengers using stolen passports, but this one does mention Taiwan receiving a message about a strike on Beijing.

WWWTT

Edited by WWWTT

May have been the case some years ago if a cell is out of range or off then you get 'the customer is not available'.... instead now it may go straight to a voice mail, or just keep ringing. Not exactly sure.

It looks like that the lack of any news is putting a huge microscope over any little thing that comes out.

WWWTT

Still early in the investigation, but I wonder how many people out there actually use stolen passports. Was the passport thing a coincidence or is there some merit?

What is sinister about the stolen passports item is there are two of them..... One on board, could happen. Two of them on the same flight?

There are about 10000 Candian passports reported lost or stolen every year, according to a security expert on CBC radio yesterday.

And that is just Canada.

With reference to mechanical failures, the 777 has apparently never had a major crash in 20 years. Always the first time, but....

After thinking about all the times I have taken this route, there was another flight that took a rout over the pacific from Japan to California then to Toronto.

It may have to do with the weather/storms/head winds/tail winds or jet streams?

But the fast flight has me very puzzled?

WWWTT

When possible, aircraft try and fly what is called a least time track. This is a great circle route modified for wind. Things like severe weather or active volcanoes can also be reasons for modifying a route. Flying much faster than the aircraft's long range cruise speed gains a little time at the expense of a lot of fuel. This is only done if there is a pressing need to gain a few minutes and the aircraft is carrying enough fuel to travel at the higher speed. Going faster puts very little extra stress on the aircraft if it is smooth. When it gets rough, you slow down, just like in a car.

When possible, aircraft try and fly what is called a least time track. This is a great circle route modified for wind. Things like severe weather or active volcanoes can also be reasons for modifying a route. Flying much faster than the aircraft's long range cruise speed gains a little time at the expense of a lot of fuel. This is only done if there is a pressing need to gain a few minutes and the aircraft is carrying enough fuel to travel at the higher speed. Going faster puts very little extra stress on the aircraft if it is smooth. When it gets rough, you slow down, just like in a car.

I suspected the same.

I should add that our 14hr flight was relatively smooth with only a little turbulence.

We only had to be re seated twice and for not long. Also the turbulence was not bad and I think that fastening our belts was only a precautionary procedure.

I have been on flights (same route and airline/plane) with much rougher turbulence!

WWWTT

Here's an interesting link with some different theories.

QQ is China's equivalent to facebook. (my wife and brother in law have accounts)

Apparently several of those onboard are showing as being online on QQ. But not anymore???

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2578020/Why-cellphones-missing-Malaysian-Airlines-passengers-ringing-Family-members-claim-loved-ones-smartphones-active.html

And then there's the phone ringing thing again.

WWWTT

If this link is right then this could be the most puzzling flight in aviation history!

http://www.naturalnews.com/044244_Malaysia_Airlines_Flight_370_vanished.html

In the comment above, I provided a link that claims that about 20 ppl on board are experts in electronic warfare. Can this be possibly the strongest hint as to what happened?

WWWTT