Danish Zoo feed "surplus" giraffe to Lions

Boges

Good question, no I have never seen a whale smile. How can you tell if a whale or any animal is happy?

Look, I am not presenting any evidence or trying to convince anyone of my position. I generally trust the zookeepers and zooligists but am open to changing my mind. I am trying to understand yours and others that say all zoos are bad.

A zooligist is not someone who works in a zoo.

Most zoos do not even uphold basic standards of animal care, while some do. http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/zoos/

Even at the ones that do, the animals suffer. There is more to humanely keeping an animal than simply keeping it physically healthy. That's part of it, but behavioural abnormalities are common in zoo animals. Which is not a humane way to treat animals.

This notion may, however, be wrong, for a new study shows that, at least among the great apes, holding areas have a dramatic effect on behaviour.

http://www.economist.com/node/16963942

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most zoos do not even uphold basic standards of animal care, while some do. http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/zoos/

Even at the ones that do, the animals suffer. There is more to humanely keeping an animal than simply keeping it physically healthy. That's part of it, but behavioural abnormalities are common in zoo animals. Which is not a humane way to treat animals.

Thanks for the links, I agree with them and the idea that conditions at many zoos should improve.

Are you saying that we should shut down all zoos? Are there any "good zoos" that should be examples for others?

Thanks for the links, I agree with them and the idea that conditions at many zoos should improve.

Are you saying that we should shut down all zoos? Are there any "good zoos" that should be examples for others?

Yes, shut down all zoos that have anything less than a "natural" setting... Which would probably be all of them.

Yes, shut down all zoos that have anything less than a "natural" setting... Which would probably be all of them.

This guy seems to have a reasonable position that I support. What do you think?

"keeping and using most animals in zoos, circuses, research laboratories, as pets and so on are not harmful in and of themselves"

"the use of some animals for certain purposes is not analogous to the institution of human slavery"

p.18: http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/21191/1/Do%20Animals%20Have%20an%20Interest%20in%20Liberty%20(LSERO).pdf

So many species are being wiped out in the wild. The rate of deforestation quadrupled between 2008 and 2011, primarily to increase beef production.

I think zoos and outdoor education centres play a huge role in connecting young people to the natural world. Many zoos are simply pathetic and should be shut down, but well run facilities play an important role in fostering conservationist attitudes. Without that first hand connection people don't even see the potential problem in destroying natural habitats to create highways, parking lots and pipelines. Or torturing living creatures for cheap burgers and McNuggets.

Granted, no zoo is ideal and many should be shut down but I think decent facilities do far more good than harm.

I've managed to ignore this story entirely. I've seen the headlines. I've seen this thread, but I haven't read the posts in it. Can someone tell me without sensational bleeding-heart theatrics, why I should give a crap about this?

Think of the poor baby giraffes!!!

I've managed to ignore this story entirely. I've seen the headlines. I've seen this thread, but I haven't read the posts in it. Can someone tell me without sensational bleeding-heart theatrics, why I should give a crap about this?

Thread summary:

1) Some think allowing an audience to witness a giraffe gutted, prepped and fed to lions is outrageous. Some don't.

2) Some think that all zoos are cruel. Some don't.

3) Some are now arguing about posting etiquette and debate tactics.

You're caught up.

Thread summary:

1) Some think allowing an audience to witness a giraffe gutted, prepped and fed to lions is outrageous. Some don't.

You're caught up.

Point of order re point 1. Some of us just think it's weird.

It's almost like the zoo went out of it's way to force a controversy.

Thread summary:

You're caught up.

hey now... don't forget the guy who keeps hyping the education angle; a "biology lesson on giraffe anatomy". Clearly, I expect that audience of a dozen+ toddlers/young children will bring forward practical applications of that so-called education... and just look how inspired the world-wide response has been! Yep, lots of good learnin's here!

2mpecux.jpg2lk4t94.jpg

Not only that, but you missed out on the yummy giraffe burgers too.

Tasted like chicken. of course

You don't have to give a crap, a lot of people didn't.

Personally, I was horrified because several other zoos offered to take the giraffe and some individual also offered close to $700,000 to buy him so there was no need to kill a healthy, 2 year old, beautiful giraffe. That was probably the hardest part for me.

Second, some parents decided it's a good idea to bring their kids to watch this. I remember seeing a goat get slaughtered when I was young and I had nightmares for a long time after. That was the second part of the story that I couldn't even fathom.

I realise that I'm further than your average person when it comes to animal rights, but those are my opinions about the whole thing and why I was aghast when I read the story.

Having said that, I have more respect for people who can hunt for their food or people who can watch a giraffe get killed without even wincing than I do for the people who need to block out these things out in order to enjoy their steaming pile of cow carcass (ahem, Boges).

You don't have to give a crap, a lot of people didn't.

Personally, I was horrified because several other zoos offered to take the giraffe and some individual also offered close to $700,000 to buy him so there was no need to kill a healthy, 2 year old, beautiful giraffe. That was probably the hardest part for me.

Second, some parents decided it's a good idea to bring their kids to watch this. I remember seeing a goat get slaughtered when I was young and I had nightmares for a long time after. That was the second part of the story that I couldn't even fathom.

I realise that I'm further than your average person when it comes to animal rights, but those are my opinions about the whole thing and why I was aghast when I read the story.

Having said that, I have more respect for people who can hunt for their food or people who can watch a giraffe get killed without even wincing than I do for the people who need to block out these things out in order to enjoy their steaming pile of cow carcass (ahem, Boges).

I'm not trying to belittle people that are against this. Just trying to understand what the opposition is about. I just couldn't understand why this was front page news. It sounds to me like you're against them killing the giraffe at all and think they should have sent it to another zoo. I can understand that. But the lions would still need to eat another animal. They're carnivores after all. You can't feed cats a vegetarian diet. The second issue seems to be that people find it appalling that parents would bring their children to witness the slaughtering of an animal. It sounds like moral objections to killing animals and making an event of watching it. You're free to take exception to those things, but I don't see a good enough reason to take that side myself. The cats needed to eat. An animal was going to die one way or the other. The giraffe was on hand. It doesn't seem like a terrible choice. Giraffes aren't endangered either. If they were, I might have reservations about it for that reason alone. Instead of being morally opposed to what they're doing, I would just think them incredibly idiotic and irresponsible in that case. They're not endangered though, so that's a moot point.

Beauty of living in the first world I guess, someone is there to do it for me. I'm sure had I been raised in a more rural environment, I'd likely have no quams.

We live in a society where people are fine spending thousands of dollars to treat a dog that didn't even cost $500.

Beauty of living in the first world I guess, someone is there to do it for me. I'm sure had I been raised in a more rural environment, I'd likely have no quams.

We live in a society where people are fine spending thousands of dollars to treat a dog that didn't even cost $500.

I have my own reasons for not eating meat, but if you have the capability to kill an animal, gut it and prepare it with your hands, I have more respect for the act than I do for someone who purposefully turns a blind eye to the inhumane horrors of where their food is coming farm. Just my opinion, but if you have the ability to do it, all the power to you.

I'm not trying to belittle people that are against this. Just trying to understand what the opposition is about. I just couldn't understand why this was front page news. It sounds to me like you're against them killing the giraffe at all and think they should have sent it to another zoo. I can understand that. But the lions would still need to eat another animal. They're carnivores after all. You can't feed cats a vegetarian diet. The second issue seems to be that people find it appalling that parents would bring their children to witness the slaughtering of an animal. It sounds like moral objections to killing animals and making an event of watching it. You're free to take exception to those things, but I don't see a good enough reason to take that side myself. The cats needed to eat. An animal was going to die one way or the other. The giraffe was on hand. It doesn't seem like a terrible choice. Giraffes aren't endangered either. If they were, I might have reservations about it for that reason alone. Instead of being morally opposed to what they're doing, I would just think them incredibly idiotic and irresponsible in that case. They're not endangered though, so that's a moot point.

Any life that can be saved is worth saving. If someone offered to take in the cow/chicken/pig (or whatever farm animal they feed lions), I would feel that the life would also be worth saving. I would feel the same way about a dog that was put down when a home was offered to it.

It's completely senseless to kill an animal when a viable alternative solution exists.

As for the children watching, personally I don't believe in teaching my child that it's ok to kill animals for our sake. I find the mindset that we are superior to animals akin to the mindset of slave-owners.

But again, that's my opinion and I'm certainly not trying to talk you into giving 'a crap'. You asked why people were outraged and I'm giving you the reason why this person was outraged.

I can't speak for the others.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this. . .

This Danish Zoo is a crappy Zoo.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/world/archives/2014/03/20140325-144348.html

The Copenhagen Zoo proved once again it is not clear on the concept of animal conservation when it killed a family of four lions to make way for a new, young male lion.

Last month, the zoo drew outrage after it euthanized a healthy giraffe and dissected it in front of visitors, including children.