Ukraine crisis

GostHacked

After a couple weeks of intense protesting we now see the Ukraine government step down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25932352

Ukraine's President Viktor Yanukovych has accepted the resignation of the prime minister and his cabinet amid continuing anti-government protests.

Mykola Azarov had offered to step down as prime minister to create "social and political compromise".

The move came after the Ukrainian parliament voted overwhelmingly to annul a controversial anti-protest law.

The protests have spread in recent days across Ukraine, even to President Yanukovych's stronghold in the east.

Official buildings in several cities have been occupied, and Tuesday saw the interior ministry report that protesters had stabbed and wounded three policemen in the southern city of Kherson, one of whom later died.

In total, at least five people have been killed in violence linked to the protests.

Mr Azarov was deeply unpopular with the opposition, who accused him of mismanaging the economy and failing to tackle corruption.

Common theme among the countries going through this, corruption and fraud. What country is next?

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't followed this story much. but I believe that one of the criticisms about it is the lack of western media attention!

WWWTT

That is why Justin Beiber is popular in the news these days. Obviously more important about his arrest and possible deportation compared to a nation's government stepping down because the people wont take it anymore.

Like the concentration on Ford that shuffled attention away from the PMO/senator expenses scandal. Our media does not like to focus on the real issues the world is facing.

As DOP says, the crap is flying and it is nasty over there. More and more, people all over the world have had enough with the corruption and want to take their nations back. Specifically from the corrupt international bankers which seem to be one of the major root problems worldwide.

Turkey will have some major problems soon as their currency is tanking and the government is not getting the support it once did. And that is just across the Dead Sea pond. The dominoes are falling.

It's just so obvious to me that the media you speak of is a reflection of popular tastes, and even more so as attention to the press dwindles.

That is because we are coerced into thinking that what Beiber does is important. The power and status of a celebrity. The power of suggestion through repetitiveness. The ability to manipulate your thinking and ideology through media. Your opinion comes from what they tell you to think is important and people fall for it. TV is a great tool to sway the masses into supporting a certain thing, or to distract from other important items by talking about mindless stuff.

Look at the thread with Duck Dynasty. Do we really need to talk about that? Rob Ford would not be popular if he was not so messed up.

The Ukraine thing is important, a nation is at a crossroads, and can have regional impact. But that does not seem important. People should be paying attention to this, because this is coming to a country very near to you in the near future.

Distract them right up until the end so they have no idea the ship has been sinking for years. Let them eat cake.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, although the White House tries to blame Moscow for leaking phone call between its top diplomats, discussing Ukraine situation (www.voanews.com/content/us-points-to-russian-), it is clear there is not only Russians, who were interested in posting the recordings in Internet. The more especially as Americans are not even traversing the mere fact that this phone conversation has really happened to be, as Nuland has hurried to contact her EU counterparts and apologized! Obviously leaked Ukraine recording reveals US exasperation with EU. And most likely it has been work of European special services that were ordered to punish the US allies though giving into hands of Russians so disparaging copy, eh?

Well, although the White House tries to blame Moscow for leaking phone call between its top diplomats, discussing Ukraine situation (www.voanews.com/content/us-points-to-russian-), it is clear there is not only Russians, who were interested in posting the recordings in Internet. The more especially as Americans are not even traversing the mere fact that this phone conversation has really happened to be, as Nuland has hurried to contact her EU counterparts and apologized! Obviously leaked Ukraine recording reveals US exasperation with EU. And most likely it has been work of European special services that were ordered to punish the US allies though giving into hands of Russians so disparaging copy, eh?

Given it was posted in Russia and the first mention of it came from the Russian government I don't think it's outlandish to believe the Russians are by far the most likely culprits. We know they have an extensive espionage and surveillance organization both within and outside Russia, and a deep interest in drawing Ukraine back into its former status of slave state.

• 2 weeks later...

The next country to break up?

It will, because people that living in Ukraine are divided - east for russia, west for europe also this country has only 20 years of living and most of the goverment, clerks using their authority to steal money from people.

Corrpution level as in Africa, u need to pay if you want to run buisness. One billionare from Donieck controlling 50 politicans that creating law for him not for people of ukraine.

It's just so obvious to me that the media you speak of is a reflection of popular tastes, and even more so as attention to the press dwindles.

If the conflicts breaking out all over are any indication folks still seem pretty tuned in to what's happening.

Many seem mad as hell and they're not taking it any more.

If the conflicts breaking out all over are any indication folks still seem pretty tuned in to what's happening.

Many seem mad as hell and they're not taking it any more.

A lot of the violence on the side of the anti-government side seems to be coming from a number of ultra right-wing neofascist groups. Some unsavoury characters on both sides of this, it seems.

It's an indication of something but I don't know what. Conflicts can also result from people not being 'tuned in', ie. being disconnected, disoriented and disaffected.

I'd bet dollars to donuts it's mostly about tilted playing fields and widening income gaps in the face of unmitigated political favoritism and corruption. The same thing that's happening just about everywhere on the planet.

It's a war of man.

Yep, whatever it takes to keep us from focusing on the fact it's actually between the top and the bottom - the governed vs the governments.

That has been the common vein in many of these situations. A lot is happening in Venzeula over tuition and other social issues. Some Pacific Asian countries are seeing the same thing. When will we see it here in Canada?

I'd bet dollars to donuts it's mostly about tilted playing fields and widening income gaps in the face of unmitigated political favoritism and corruption. The same thing that's happening just about everywhere on the planet.

It's a war of man.

Income gaps matter if people are starving more than if they're not, and they're not. Another way they matter is when it affects peoples' identity, and that has to do with communications, as in 'the official story' and so on. Such things are easier to manage when communications modes are stable, rather than competing for attention by advertising that the end of days is here.

My three cents.

Some Pacific Asian countries are seeing the same thing.

You have such a knack for undermining your own argument.

Why would these things happen in China, as they are, when there's arguably more freedom and wealth than ever ?

It's identity, and communication that is unstable not the economy. It's not that we're doing downhill, it's that the camera lens for us to look at ourselves is changing.

And... as cocksure as I am about that, it's a qualitative assessment of our collective dialogue, and as such my opinion is worth about as much as a random pile of words.

The events of Ukraine today remind very much of those of Romania a quarter of a century ago. It's difficult to believe that the army and the police would be unilaterally on the side of the government,

The ironic thing is that the EU supports the opposition which likes to call itself as nationalists when as within the EU nationalists are something to be loathed.

How did I undermine my argument again? I did not specifically name China, that was you.

Don't take it the wrong way, but when you say Asia, China and India come to mind. Maybe India is seeing more unrest than usual these days, but I haven't heard about that. The Philippines and Thailand have been unstable for as long as I have followed news, but unrest in China is indeed happening, and it's a new thing.

The strange thing is that I think your point is very valid, and hadn't even considered it - but in a different way (I think) than you intended.

Stalin must be smiling and laughing in his grave. His purges of the mid 1930's and his re-population program appears to have worked. He annihilated the leadership and sent a large percentage of the population to Siberia – gifted the newly created vacant land and property to the Russian nationalists. He understood that a foreign occupation would never last but the “Russification” of the Ukraine would keep it in the Soviet sphere. Since the Soviet takeover, Russian soldiers have been encouraged to stay, intermarry and reproduce in the Ukraine.

So now we have a Russian speaking and Russian supporting Crimea and many Russian speaking “Ukrainians” in the East supporting closer ties with Russia.

This is becoming a civil war. While the West wants the whole country to lean towards the EU, the second and third generation Russian speaking Ukrainians now also have a legitimate a right to support ties with Russia. Ultimately, I believe that this may end with a partition of East and West.

Look like Stalin was right. Even half a country is better then no country.