Ukraine crisis

GostHacked

The crisis in the Ukraine will be used as a political point and start up a new kind of cold war between east and west.

Putin is fueling a new Cold War by his own actions. Syria, Iran, Georgia, Ukraine, Snowden, and all of his anti-freedom and anti-democratic policies within Russia.

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't take it the wrong way, but when you say Asia, China and India come to mind.

Well that is part of your issue, not mine. There is more to Asia than just India or China.

Maybe India is seeing more unrest than usual these days, but I haven't heard about that. The Philippines and Thailand have been unstable for as long as I have followed news, but unrest in China is indeed happening, and it's a new thing.

Good job Mike. Tell me I undermine my argument because you did not read my statement right, but then you go on to say that China is having some trouble.

The strange thing is that I think your point is very valid, and hadn't even considered it - but in a different way (I think) than you intended.

Reading comprehension is key. And when you do not understand something, you ask a question.

That has been the common vein in many of these situations. A lot is happening in Venzeula over tuition and other social issues. Some Pacific Asian countries are seeing the same thing. When will we see it here in Canada?

More nonsense. The current Venezuelan government is a communist anti-freedom anti-democracy regime.

Putin is fueling a new Cold War by his own actions. Syria, Iran, Georgia, Ukraine, Snowden, and all of his anti-freedom and anti-democratic policies within Russia.

Sure, not like the west helped undermine Syria, Iran, Georgia and with some help the Ukraine (Orange revolution)

I got a question for you, how is Obama different from Putin in terms of antifreedom and anti-democratic policies?

Sure, not like the west helped undermine Syria, Iran, Georgia and with some help the Ukraine (Orange revolution)

I got a question for you, how is Obama different from Putin in terms of antifreedom and anti-democratic policies?

Yeah, damn those people in Georgia and Ukraine for wanting to be independent and out from under the boot of Putin's authority and influence. Damn them! Unless of course they were trying to get out from western influcence, then you'd be on their side.

Yeah, damn those people in Georgia and Ukraine for wanting to be independent and out from under the boot of Putin's authority and influence. Damn them! Unless of course they were trying to get out from western influcence, then you'd be on their side.

Actually from what I understand many want to have close ties to Russia. With all the problems with the EU, there is no need for the Ukraine to enter into that membership. Of course the west (UK and US) is involved in the Ukraine. It's right on the Russians doorstep, and that would provide tactical advantage to the west and NATO.

I am not taking sides as most of us really have no clue what is going on there. But it is country wide and a huge crisis.

What we all need to do is leave countries alone. Ukraine needs to deal with this themselves, But you have the US to blame for the issues as much as the Russians.

I agree that there is a complexity in this situation and that it's not black and white like shady sees it.

That said, RT is usually a pretty good source when it's broadcasting information on issues that do not involve Russia. Similar to PressTV and their coverage of non-Iran related stories. However, stories that involve the Russian agenda should be looked at with caution and skepticism.

I wouldn't personalize it to Putin. I think that Russia is not susceptible to Westernization. Unfortunately the borders of an essentially totalitarian system (I didn't say Communist or Muslim) are often bloody ones.

I agree that there is a complexity in this situation and that it's not black and white like shady sees it.

That said, RT is usually a pretty good source when it's broadcasting information on issues that do not involve Russia. Similar to PressTV and their coverage of non-Iran related stories. However, stories that involve the Russian agenda should be looked at with caution and skepticism.

Stories on Russia from RT should be looked at with the same 'caution and skepticism' as stories on the Soviet Union by Pravda. It is a government propaganda channel, no more, no less.

I wouldn't personalize it to Putin. I think that Russia is not susceptible to Westernization. Unfortunately the borders of an essentially totalitarian system (I didn't say Communist or Muslim) are often bloody ones.

And not infrequently, move further away. It's a worrying development over the past ten years that while western governments have been systematically dismantling their military forces the Russians (and Chinese) have been steadily improving theirs. The Russians have shown a willingness to use their military for conquest, and the weaker the west gets and the stronger Russia gets the more tempted a criminal regime like that will be to use its military for further expansion.

That is because we are coerced into thinking that what Beiber does is important.

Not at all. Media can't just flick a switch to make you interested in something, it's the dog that wags the tail there not the tail wagging the dog.

The Ukraine thing is important, a nation is at a crossroads, and can have regional impact. But that does not seem important. People should be paying attention to this, because this is coming to a country very near to you in the near future.

Distract them right up until the end so they have no idea the ship has been sinking for years. Let them eat cake.

People don't even want to talk about healthcare operations on this board, ostensibly where government is of interest. Why ? Because it's dull. Not because the government is trying to ban serious thought.

Shocker! The Russian "parliament" has, after long and careful contemplation, given Vlad (the impaler) Putin permission to send troops into Ukraine (where they've been for two days now).

No doubt the 'parliamentarians' will carefully oversee the use of these troops so they don't break any laws or anything...

International laws don't count, by the way.

Shocker! The Russian "parliament" has, after long and careful contemplation, given Vlad (the impaler) Putin permission to send troops into Ukraine (where they've been for two days now).

No doubt the 'parliamentarians' will carefully oversee the use of these troops so they don't break any laws or anything...

International laws don't count, by the way.

International laws don't count, I agree. See Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria .....(aka western intervention through subversion). Cannot give the Russians any crap for the acts of the west over the past decade or so.

It's a worrying development over the past ten years that while western governments have been systematically dismantling their military forces the Russians (and Chinese) have been steadily improving theirs. The Russians have shown a willingness to use their military for conquest, and the weaker the west gets and the stronger Russia gets the more tempted a criminal regime like that will be to use its military for further expansion.

I thought it was more worrying that we were making them stronger by falling all over ourselves to see who could expand trade and economic ties with them the fastest.

You know that old refrain "you're either with us or you're with the..." Oh never mind. Here, have some popcorn.

When Baird comes back from there, will he stand up for ANY Canadian who will have their right to vote take away? As one journalist said, once the real truth gets out about the Tories plan to reduce voters in the next election, Canada could have protestors in the streets and that's why they won't allow the Opposition plan for going across the country telling Canadians what is exactly in this Act, and how they feel about it. Democracy is not a word known to this party.

International laws don't count, I agree. See Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria .....(aka western intervention through subversion). Cannot give the Russians any crap for the acts of the west over the past decade or so.

It seems there is something in the blood among zealous leftist types that whenever an evil and violent regime is criticized they have to pop out of their seats and start shouting how evil western countries are. I wish some of them would decide to pack up and go move to the beloved tyrannies they do their best to defend.

When Baird comes back from there, will he stand up for ANY Canadian who will have their right to vote take away? As one journalist said, once the real truth gets out about the Tories plan to reduce voters in the next election, Canada could have protestors in the streets and that's why they won't allow the Opposition plan for going across the country telling Canadians what is exactly in this Act, and how they feel about it. Democracy is not a word known to this party.

You know, I'm pretty sure there's already an elections Canada thread on this topic so that you don't have to come here to whine about it.

It seems there is something in the blood among zealous leftist types that whenever an evil and violent regime is criticized they have to pop out of their seats and start shouting how evil western countries are. I wish some of them would decide to pack up and go move to the beloved tyrannies they do their best to defend.

Exactly. His criticism of the west, and complete silence, apathy, and understanding of Putin's use of force is beyond hypocrisy. He's blown up the hypocrisy metre at this point. It's now bordering on delusion. As somehow equating tyrannical dictators like Saddam Hussein, Ghaddafi, the Taliban, with Ukrainian uprising against Moscow puppets is the samething. I also agree, I wish these people would pack up and move to these places of which they so admire. It's pretty disgusting.

It seems there is something in the blood among zealous leftist types that whenever an evil and violent regime is criticized they have to pop out of their seats and start shouting how evil western countries are.

First off, it's not a 'zealous leftist' thing. It's a context thing. I don't see anyone defending Russia's actions. Ukraine needs to be left on their own to figure this out for themselves. But this crisis is not their doing, and the results won't be their doing either.

How did Ukraine become destabilized? Someone knew that Russia would not attack during the Olympic games. What a PR stunt that would have become. So it turned out to be a great chance to really stir things up.

We also have some proof that American politicians had some involvement in the destabilization.