Should Marijuana Be Legal?

20 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Wrong, the only economy that will take a kick in the teeth is the criminal black market. If BC has the best climate, then it will continue to be a lucrative legal farming economy. If competitors jump in, then so be it. I suspect the indoor competitors will be large, but today they are numerous and cause significant damage to the residential real-estate market.

Let me be more specific, the mom and pop economy will be kicked in the teeth for the benefit of Big Marijuana. But I guess that's just normal business as usual economic management of Big Government.

One clear statement is that, in the eyes of the federal government, the LP system is working. LPs will continue to be the exclusive large-scale producers of cannabis under the ACMPR.

Story

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JT is such a jerkface on this issue. 

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2016/12/03/trudeau-urges-police-to-enforce-the-law-on-marijuana.html

A frustrated Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wants police to “enforce the law” and criminally charge illegal marijuanadispensaries — even though weed legalization is looming.

“People are right now breaking the law,” Trudeau told the Star’s editorial board on Friday.

“We haven’t changed the laws. We haven’t legalized it yet. Yes, we got a clear mandate to do that. We’ve said we will. We’ve said we’re going to do it to protect our kids and to keep the money out of the pockets of criminals.”

But the spread of storefront “dispensaries” — scores of which have popped up on Toronto streets this year — is clearly a concern to the prime minister.

“It’s a situation that is frustrating and I can understand people’s frustration on this,” Trudeau said.

He's only going to make the situation worse by normalizing the consumption of pot. The only illegal aspects are not paying proper taxes and selling to underage consumers. There won't be a stigma attached to doing an illegal substance so unless the government weed can be competitively priced, people will see no need to stop using the black market. 

I can see a scenario where more people are criminally charged under a legal model, not less. And JT dragging his feet on this means that there's a whole lot of grey area about what's OK and not regarding Pot use.

So JT has to come out to the media and affirm that the prohibition and all the laws associated with them should continue to be enforced. 

That's worse than anything we saw under the CPC where the decriminalization was sort of an unwritten law, kind of like driving 120 kms/h on a 100 kms/h highway. 

Edited by Boges

The Liberals have no intention of making pot legal, just that some Liberal analyst figured out they could get lots of votes by promising this. Now they drag their feet and say it will take years. The first clue is they put the former police chief Bill Blair who is against marijuana in principle in charge of the project. What a farce.

Canadians forgot just how bad the LPC was in the days of Stephan Dion and that political vampire, Bob Rae. In no time shall we be reminded.

11 hours ago, Boges said:

I can see a scenario where more people are criminally charged under a legal model, not less.

11 hours ago, eyeball said:

Screw the law and the horse it rode in on.

Whats to worry.......Trudeau put Anne McLellan in charge....she did a great job with the long gun registry :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Derek 2.0 said:

Whats to worry.......Trudeau put Anne McLellan in charge....she did a great job with the long gun registry :rolleyes:

What's to worry? The breakdown of our polity comes to mind. I wonder if a better respect for the law would have made a difference in my stance towards my governance. When my friend came home all beat up by the cops for possession of a couple of joints when we were kids it sure changed our outlook on things and the relationship has pretty much gone downhill ever since. Now I'm such a committed anarchist, I'm wondering what I can do to help burn the goddamn state to the ground and 10 feet deep just to be sure. 

3 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Now I'm such a committed anarchist, I'm wondering what I can do to help burn the goddamn state to the ground and 10 feet deep just to be sure. 

Clayoquot 2.0, smoking a joint, along the pipeline route might be a good start. ;)

2 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I remember feeling similarly dismissive about your issues with McLellan.

I'm not the slightest bit dismissive about legal pot, though I don't partake, I've no qualms with the prospect of it (and haven't for decades), and have said as much since I started posting here......to go even further, recently an elderly family member, with rheumatoid arthritis, started taking these drops (without the THC), and has forgone all pharmaceuticals including Advil.....for about $25 a month for a tube of the stuff......

Though anecdotal, as I'm sure this "Magic cure all" gets furthered spread around an aging population, the Trudeau government will find itself more and more at the dinner donor  tables of big pharma......and you can imagine the result.  

4 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Maybe you could pass the anecdote around your parties get-togethers

Its not taboo among the Libertarian bent.....what would be ironic though, as suggested by Boges, is if the Trudeau Liberals are the ones that really start cracking the whip on their legal pot......gotta protect their donor classes interests....remember, Trudeau's buddy Chuck Rifici was one of the largest legal growers of dope in Canada....

It's been obvious where the Liberals have wanted to take this for years.

All that stands out about Trudeau is that he smokes dope himself and is just as happy to see people being thrown in jail for the same. He's as loathsome as they come.

And to think you guys bequeathed him C-51... Thanks a lot.

On 2016-12-04 at 1:54 PM, Boges said:

He's also a hypocrit and liar. From July 23 2015, before he was elected PM:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/justin-trudeau-backs-controversial-medical-marijuana-shop-in-winnipeg/article25641222/

Federal Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau is speaking out in support of a controversial medical marijuana store in Winnipeg.

During a stop in the city on Wednesday, Trudeau said marijuana storefronts like “Your Medical Cannabis Headquarters,” owned by Glenn Price, should be allowed to operate.

He was also overheard to say "Yoh, Ima Legalize... so come and buy my shit, bitches".

Edited by OftenWrong

On 12/4/2016 at 10:54 AM, Boges said:

JT is such a jerkface on this issue. 

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2016/12/03/trudeau-urges-police-to-enforce-the-law-on-marijuana.html

He's only going to make the situation worse by normalizing the consumption of pot. The only illegal aspects are not paying proper taxes and selling to underage consumers. There won't be a stigma attached to doing an illegal substance so unless the government weed can be competitively priced, people will see no need to stop using the black market. 

I can see a scenario where more people are criminally charged under a legal model, not less. And JT dragging his feet on this means that there's a whole lot of grey area about what's OK and not regarding Pot use.

So JT has to come out to the media and affirm that the prohibition and all the laws associated with them should continue to be enforced. 

That's worse than anything we saw under the CPC where the decriminalization was sort of an unwritten law, kind of like driving 120 kms/h on a 100 kms/h highway. 

"Sort of an unwritten law" ended up a lot of young Canadians in jail. Now at least we have a focus on when the law will be chucked. Until then, you have to obey it. Farly simple I would think.

10 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

He's also a hypocrit and liar. From July 23 2015, before he was elected PM:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/justin-trudeau-backs-controversial-medical-marijuana-shop-in-winnipeg/article25641222/

Federal Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau is speaking out in support of a controversial medical marijuana store in Winnipeg.

During a stop in the city on Wednesday, Trudeau said marijuana storefronts like “Your Medical Cannabis Headquarters,” owned by Glenn Price, should be allowed to operate.

He was also overheard to say "Yoh, Ima Legalize... so come and buy my shit, bitches".

(Why you'd make up the quote I striked out I don't know)

There's a difference is stores selling medical marijuana and just selling it to whoever walks in the door. 

10 hours ago, Omni said:

"Sort of an unwritten law" ended up a lot of young Canadians in jail. Now at least we have a focus on when the law will be chucked. Until then, you have to obey it. Farly simple I would think.

Or not, if it's rarely being enforced. But now JT has shaken his fist because he realizes his legalization plans will be undermined if people don't really think there will be any consequences if they don't use Duty Paid Pot. 

20 minutes ago, Smallc said:

No - he's got to make it look good if he's going to frame this right.  This is about the safety of children, and nothing else....wink wink.

:lol: You've drank the kool-aid on that that? Will someone PLEASE!!! Think of the children. That's all this is about and not lowering the cost of enforcing a useless law? 

3 hours ago, Boges said:

Or not, if it's rarely being enforced. But now JT has shaken his fist because he realizes his legalization plans will be undermined if people don't really think there will be any consequences if they don't use Duty Paid Pot. 

And how many people do you know who run stills rather than going to a legal liquor outlet?

8 minutes ago, Omni said:

And how many people do you know who run stills rather than going to a legal liquor outlet?

The upfront cost on liqour production is huge. Especially quality liqour. Not just stills but warehouses to age the liquor. 

If you could buy single malt scotch from a guy on the street, without having to pay an excise tax, people would be all over that. 

Edited by Boges

5 minutes ago, Boges said:

The upfront cost on liqour production is huge. Especially quality liqour. Not just stills but warehouses to age the liquor. 

If you could buy single malt scotch from a guy on the street, without having to pay an excise tax, people would be all over that. 

I think most of us would rather pay the cost and know what we are getting won't make us blind or kill us.